Front End Noise/Clatter

50 coupe
Go to solution Solved by Don Coatney,

When applying firm brake I hear a metallic clanking noise coming from the right front of the car. I also notice it momentarily if I down shift and decelerate, without applying brakes. I have a Scarebird disc brake conversion on the front but have removed the calipers and rotors a couple of times and don't see any indication there is something amiss with the brakes.  I don't feel any shimmy or vibration coming through the steering wheel or shaking in the car but at this point am inclined to think it is something in the front suspension

Any thoughts on what it could be or what to look/check for?

PS, this is on a 1950 p-19 coupe.

Edited by 50 coupe

braking indicates movement of an item and down shifting will cause the 'engine braking' from the rear and cause said action in reverse direction...you have something loose but maybe not flopping around yet...have you relocated the shocks when doing the upgrade...are they snug...jack it up and with proper pry bar..check your components.....check your caliper mounting also...some sliding calipers use a rubber isolator on the mounting bolts..if yours is one, check the integrity of that bush..

Also, how much clearance do you have from fan to radiator? If your motor mounts are badly deteriorated the can allow the engine to move toward enough under sharp deceleration to cause the fan to contact the radiator. Look at the rad for any witness marks of such contact.

braking indicates movement of an item and down shifting will cause the 'engine braking' from the rear and cause said action in reverse direction...you have something loose but maybe not flopping around yet...have you relocated the shocks when doing the upgrade...are they snug...jack it up and with proper pry bar..check your components.....check your caliper mounting also...some sliding calipers use a rubber isolator on the mounting bolts..if yours is one, check the integrity of that bush..

The shocks are new and I torqued them in place. I checked and they are tight. There is some play up front but I don't see anything loose enough that would cause this. That being said, what front end components should I focus on?

Edited by 50 coupe

focus on parts that shift....do not rule out a simple missing bushing in the sway bar setup..you have already narrowed it down you say by calling out right front...go from there...there is not much anyone can call out till you report on possible movement and want to know a more in depth way to check said component

The lower bushing of the spindle support  ( at the outer A frame ) threads into the spindle support tightly and is not supposed to move.

The movement takes place on the pin threads and the inner threads of this bushing.   Sometimes this bushing will loosen and can make quite a noise when braking.

When the threads strip out completely there is a very heavy clunk as the spindle support slides back and forth.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input, guys. I don't much experience with front end/suspension work so not sure how to know what is in good shape vs. what is worn out and needs replacing. I'll study the sections in the service manual and have a closer look.

• 4 weeks later...

I am still working on the solution to this 'noise' and have read posts about the trunion joints on the driveshaft making a racket. Other than pulling the driveshaft and rolling the car down a hill then hitting the breaks to see if it still makes the noise, how else would I check the drive shaft to see if it is the source of the 'ABS-like' sound?

Better get a Go Pro camera and mount it in the suspect area a few different places and see/listen.. maybe you will find your noise problem .

• Like 2

Better get a Go Pro camera and mount it in the suspect area a few different places and see/listen.. maybe you will find your noise problem .

Well, I do have a 1980's vintage vhs camera recorder. Maybe I can lean out the door and hold the camera under the car while I slam on the brakes. Anyone know how to post vhs to You Tube? Bwahahaha!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Also check your driveshaft universal joints. It is difficult to pin point sounds from the drivers seat.

That was it! I had made a 'coupler' to link the original drive shaft to the new ford 8.8. For whatever reason it was stressing the ball and trunion joints and causing the loud clatter under braking. I had a new drive shaft made and that cured it.

• Like 2