Some Changes Are Coming...

Sponsored By  

and I wanted to loop you all in. Currently the site runs forum software from Invision Power Services (IPS). Our current version is 3.4.x and it provides the functionality for most of the site including the forums, photo gallery, store, chat, blogs and downloads. I use third party products for the classified section, links and the member map. Approximately 18 months ago IPS announced a new 4.X version of their packages. This is a complete rewrite of the all the core software using more modern development tools and mythologies. Plus it provides additional functionality for tablet and smartphone users. Because it is a total rewrite the publishers of third party packages have to rewrite their packages also. Along with this announcement 18 months ago IPS informed customers 12 months after the release of 4.x they would stop all development work and bug fixes and declare the 3.4.X product as EOL (End of Life). They would continue to support the 3.4.X version for another 12 months providing only critical security patches and updates. So currently we are about 6 month out before the software becomes totally unsupported. My current plan is to do the 4.X upgrade in the late August or early September timeframe. I have already been doing testing for months to make sure the process is smooth but I can tell you it is not an easy or straightforward upgrade. I suspect it may take several days.    

So if it ain't broke don't fix it, right? Unfortunately the internet is not a friendly place and sites like this are constantly under attack by hackers and it is essential to maintain updated systems for site integrity. To give you a feel it is not unusually to see over 100 hack attempts per night from China, Russian and here in the USA. So the upgrade is not an option, but required.   

Good news is we get some upgrades too! Drag and drop picture posting, better performance, better and faster search, what is called "responsive design" which means it formats correctly for smartphones and tablets without having to use a specific app and more. In working with it on my test bed system it address many issues members have raised in the past and overall will be a positive update.

Which brings me to the last issue, classified ads. First as mentioned above the classified section is provided by a third party publisher. It is nicely integrated into the site commerce system so I can easily sell classified ads. (Part of the reason it is so well integrated is it was written by an IPS programmer as his own product)  The bad news is the system has still not been updated (pretty much all the other 3rd party products used have been) and he doesn't know if and when it will be ready for release. If this situation continues (and I see not reason it won't) the classified section will go away in the near future. 

To address this issue starting July 16, 2016 you will no longer be able to place a new classified ad. The existing ads will continue to run to their scheduled termination with the last one closing out August 13, 2016. At that point in time the classified page will no longer be available for viewing.  Also on July 16, 2013 a new forum section will open for classified text ads. They are for individuals only, no images allowed, and will run for 30 days. After 30 days they will auto delete.

At the same time we are introducing a new policy where commercial ads will not be allowed in the classified section. So if you run a cottage or garage business on the side, provides a service, manufacture a product for sale or have lists of products you want to sell you will need to move into a banner ad. Commercial ads will be deleted. Reposting will get you banned.  Think of the classified ads as the digital equivalent for the personal ads in the back of your paper. Banner ads start at $35.00 month and I'm delivering you over 4 millions hits a month. The banners ads are a bargain and if you don't have a website with the purchase of an ad we will provide a landing page. 

If the third party publisher comes through at the last minute I will not start the separate forum section for classified ads, but the policy regarding commercial ads will be the guideline moving forward. 

Change are coming and if you have any suggestion please add them to this thread. You can see with the IPS software is all about by visiting their website.

GT

• Like 11

how will the "Conversation" we currently have in queue be affected?  I think last time they dissappeared?

will links in signature lines still work?  Saved/followed threads?

thanks!

Thanks for your dedication in keeping this site in a easy to use and dependable state. Like an old Mopar, it needs regular maintenance.

My only comment is about the classifieds. A forum section for individual ads would be nice, like we had in the old format. I would encourage the ability to post pictures, as these are very helpful to both parties and saves a lot of time in the subsequent back and forth. Even if somebody is trying to give stuff away for free, a photo is very helpful. I don't think the classifieds are a money-making opportunity on here, no one's going to retire selling old mopar parts (except for Mark, lol). It's mainly for helping others out and passing on stuff you don't need.

Thanks,

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...