B (1/2 ton) trucks rear springs

pflaming

I'm of the opinion that there were many different rear spring combinations when these were sold. I'm thinking that an Iowa corn farmer would want heavier rear springs than an urban businessman would need for his "delivery" truck. My truck did/does not have over loads, for example.

The attached picture shows my rear springs with the 2nd to the bottom leaf removed. That lowered the rear bumper 2". As I recall I returned and retorqued those nuts several times. The rear axle is fron a 98 Cherokee.

Edit. Those electrical wires will be protected once I have my turn signal light wiring complete and working.

Pictures of other set-ups are requested.

Edited by pflaming

I'm of the opinion that there were many different rear spring combinations when these were sold. I'm thinking that an Iowa corn farmer would want heavier rear springs than an urban businessman would need for his "delivery" truck. My truck did/does not have over loads, for example.

The attached picture shows my rear springs with the 2nd to the bottom leaf removed. That lowered the rear bumper 2". As I recall I returned and retorqued those nuts several times. The rear axle is fron a 98 Cherokee.

Pictures of other set-ups are requested.

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Paul;

I don't think that the 1/2 tons came with any spring options. Maybe you could get after market overload springs but I would guess that they all came with the same 8 leaf rear spring pack from the factory. That Iowa corn farmer you mention probably opted for a heavier truck in the first place. Once you get into the heavier trucks there appears to be a lot of spring options....and that makes sense considering the whole Job Rated scenario.

Jeff

• Like 2

PFlaming has already seen my setup, but for the other folks, here is a 55 C1B with 2 leaves removed. 2 removed gave me an 1 1/2" drop and a pretty nice ride. It had 6 stock out back and 7 up front.

IMG_0049_zpsmnbyloyl.jpg

Edited by 59bisquik

Paul;

My 3/4 ton has the 9 leaf rear spring packs that it came with from the factory. Properly lubricated this set up performs just fine for everyday use. I am happy to demonstrate the ride to anyone who doubts this. Maybe the shorter wheelbase trucks need modifications to this arrangement?......this certainly isn't the case for my truck. But then I also do not understand why these trucks need to have a modified stance either. These were and are old work trucks. Trying to make them into something they are not IMO just sort of loses it. Maybe you would be happier with a 64 Impala short? :D

Jeff

• Like 2

I suspect there are a lot of subtle differences between a 3/4 ton and a 1/2 ton

Will you accept this?

I just took pics of this truck here at auto dealer while waiting for my friend. What are year, model, etc.?

Edited by pflaming

Paul is somewhat correct.  Depending on the model 1/2 ton and domestic or export, there were several different leaf spring packages.  All however started with a minimum of 8 leaves, according to the parts listing ( if I read it correctly).

Paul;

My 3/4 ton has the 9 leaf rear spring packs that it came with from the factory. Properly lubricated this set up performs just fine for everyday use. I am happy to demonstrate the ride to anyone who doubts this. Maybe the shorter wheelbase trucks need modifications to this arrangement?......this certainly isn't the case for my truck. But then I also do not understand why these trucks need to have a modified stance either. These were and are old work trucks. Trying to make them into something they are not IMO just sort of loses it. Maybe you would be happier with a 64 Impala short? :D

Jeff

I just sold my 59 Biscayne project that was on a long stand still! Does that count?  :P

Paul is somewhat correct.  Depending on the model 1/2 ton and domestic or export, there were several different leaf spring packages.  All however started with a minimum of 8 leaves, according to the parts listing ( if I read it correctly).

I think this depends on model, maybe from B to C. From what I have read and have on my C1, they had 6 leaves out back. With all of the spring clamps, it would of been obvious if some had been removed. Maybe there was an option for more.

I think this depends on model, maybe from B to C. From what I have read and have on my C1, they had 6 leaves out back. With all of the spring clamps, it would of been obvious if some had been removed. Maybe there was an option for more.

Only referring to the B series.  I have no idea what the C series had.

I looked and I could not find any B series 1/2 ton rear spring packs that did not have 8 leaves to begin with. Can you take some out? Of course you can......but at some point you start upping your chances of a potentially dramatic failure. Particularly if you are still using the old springs.

Jeff

I looked and I could not find any B series 1/2 ton rear spring packs that did not have 8 leaves to begin with. Can you take some out? Of course you can......but at some point you start upping your chances of a potentially dramatic failure. Particularly if you are still using the old springs.

Jeff

Interesting point you raise about the number of spring leaves Jeff. I wonder if we did things different here in Oz to cater for our poor road conditions back in the day as I have trucks which have original springs of 10 leaves. The attached photo is of the spring set which I had refurbished recently for my 1/2 ton 53 coupe truck...

post-3915-0-01937700-1465389356_thumb.jpg

Davin;

Your spring set up there doesn't really surprise me. Strength in numbers......isn't just a catchy phrase. Actually that is exactly what I would expect to see on a truck that was going to see as much unpaved road as paved. And I imagine that most of your UTEs saw a fair amount of dirt tracks in their time. :D

I brought this up because I see some people down to 3 or 4 leaves which I believe is a dangerous practice. Especially if they are using leaves from the original spring pack. They just were not designed to work without the support of the adjacent leaves. Add to that 65 years and the very real possibility of metal fatigue and you have something that has the possibility to just let go without warning. This is one of those things that when I see it I just cringe and have to say something. To me it is kinda like when someone is driving around with bald tires or have some cords showing.

Jeff

• Like 2

I have just read Jeff and Don's comments on leaf removal and I take those comment seriously. I do know that my truck came with only five(5) leaves in the rear. I do doubt that some one removed one all the way around but it is possible.   I removed the 2nd from the bottom, front and rear. Now my truck was built in San Leandro California so I tend to believe West Coast Trucks may have had fewer springs for delivery truck use and small vegetable farm use, etc. 

Will rethink what I have done but I sure HATE the idea of replacing those leaves. 

PS: Maybe the fire re-tempered them! LOL 

Paul;

Do you have photos of your spring packs before you took them apart. I think it would be pretty easy to tell if they had been messed with.

I very much doubt that your truck left the factory with only 5 leaves in the rear spring packs. There is nothing in any of the sources I have looked through to support your suggestion. Also considering the engineering and technology of the time it just seems quite unlikely to me. I could be wrong though......but I would not base this decision on a hunch either.

Jeff

Paul;

Do you have photos of your spring packs before you took them apart. I think it would be pretty easy to tell if they had been messed with.

I very much doubt that your truck left the factory with only 5 leaves in the rear spring packs. There is nothing in any of the sources I have looked through to support your suggestion. Also considering the engineering and technology of the time it just seems quite unlikely to me. I could be wrong though......but I would not base this decision on a hunch either.

Jeff

They may have been aftermarket replacement springs that used fewer, but thicker, springs.

They may have been aftermarket replacement springs that used fewer, but thicker, springs.

That is certainly possible. Could even be as Paul surmised? I just think it would be best to approach this very prudently. We have all seen the results of modifications like this gone wrong. Having say one side let go completely on something like this could get real ugly...real quick. Not saying it is sure to happen...only that it increases the possibility especially when you might be starting with less than a full compliment of leaves to begin with.

Jeff

". . . when you might be starting with less than a full compliment of leaves to begin with."  

Hey, Jeff, now you are getting personal! LOL 

50's springs in 1/2 T trucks were engineered to take a payload of at least 1,000 lbs under constant shock conditions and owners likely overloaded them with side boards, etc. so they carried much more weight than that. Even two good Bulls or saddle horses would overload the trucks, not to mention draft horses. 

So for them to fail after being protected from the weather when being used primarily for pleasure and quick load use on paved loads, to me is highly unlikely. I would much rather trust these springs than much modern day books and periodicals.  

Edited by pflaming

". . . when you might be starting with less than a full compliment of leaves to begin with."  

Hey, Jeff, now you are getting personal! LOL 

50's springs in 1/2 T trucks were engineered to take a payload of at least 1,000 lbs under constant shock conditions and owners likely overloaded them with side boards, etc. so they carried much more weight than that. Even two good Bulls or saddle horses would overload the trucks, not to mention draft horses. 

So for them to fail after being protected from the weather when being used primarily for pleasure and quick load use on paved loads, to me is highly unlikely. I would much rather trust these springs than much modern day books and periodicals.  

;) Well since you mention it Paul.........

Those springs probably were overloaded often. No doubt there was a generous safety factor engineered and built into them to allow for this. But that applies to what the factory built and supplied to the public and does not allow for later owner "modifications". If you take a close look at photos of complete spring packs you will see that the specific length of each leaf in a full pack supports most of the length of the leaf above it. When you start pulling leaves out you alter this condition. Now maybe you can pull 1 or perhaps 2 specific leaves out of a 8 leaf pack and not seriously compromise this set up.......but that is because it was over engineered in the first place. Take 3 or 4 out of that 8 spring pack and you are at the very least playing with fire. And you of all people should know what can happen then.

Unless you know for a fact that what you have done is perfectly safe don't discount what I am saying here. It isn't enough to assume that you started with a complete factory spring pack.

Jeff