54 Plymouth savoy 318

Walla54savoy

i used butchs mount kit.  it was fairly useful although there was still some fabrication that needed to happen.  if i did it again i would just get a universal trans mount and some basic hot rod engine mounts and just alter those and save the money.

the exhaust is the bigger issue.  either change to rack and pinion ( probably $800 when your done), or shift the engine 1" to the passenger side and find 70's dart exhaust manifolds ( $200 on eBay) to work around the original steering column.  

i can take some photos in a few days.  there are people who have done this swap a bunch on the forum, just search for more info

• Like 1

I have a 318Poly & cast iron torqueflite in my 1940 Dodge, its been there since 1973, I ended up using a rack & pinion from an Oz Austin 1800 which obviously won't work in the USA, I'd suggest using the cavalier rack for which I understand there are kits available, also the Dart manifolds won't work as they are from a LA series, NOT the A series 318....as an aside here in Oz Chrysler introduced its Chrysler Royal in 1957 which had a 313 Poly as an option..........the 1957 Royal used a 1953/54 Plymouth body/chassis with modified 55/56 Plymouth front & rear fenders grafted onto the 53/54 body shell........however the engine bay/steering/firewall area was 1953/54 Plymouth so a 318 poly should not be that difficult to install and if you use a late Poly, ie, 1962/3 to 1966/7 that has the alloy Torqueflite you should find it easier than I did as the alloy box is physically smaller than the cast iron one........I haven't any installation pics only these of it living there..........lol..............andyd

post-612-0-19722700-1464046463_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-68915000-1464046491_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-72009000-1464046531_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-00103400-1464046597_thumb.jpg

Didn't realize you were here in Oz.........I would not recommend the 1800 box as I had to shorten it 9", it works but there are better options available now.......the Holden Camira version of the Cavalier centre steer rack is a much better option, my car has had 4 wheel discs since 1976.......P76 discs & calipers on the front, Royal diff with VG valo front discs & XC calipers on rear then the current EA/EB falcon wagon diff complete on the rear since about 2005........give me a call 02 66 425963 I talk better than I type......Andy Douglas

post-612-0-80578300-1464048387_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-28842800-1464048414_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-09528300-1464048483_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andydodge

Sounds like a great project yes i believe you will need to get it engineered as Vicroads will see that it is a bigger engine than standard also they would say you would need bigger brakes than standard as for the weight of both motors would be simlar but i think the 8 might weigh less. Ive been thinking about going to disk brakes on my 48 aussie desoto but as its a modification from what car came out with when new it will have to be engineered so i havent done it 

Cheers Gareth

Thanks, I have a engineer coming out next Thursday to steer me in the right direction as to which way to go. Just trying to see if I can find some sort of mounting bracket for the engine and trans to run by the engineer befor he comes. I have a rear diff and axle out of a pheonix I'll probably use which has the bigger drums if I can get away with it, I'll use the same drums on the front aswell. Thanks for your advice fellas I'll post some pictures up soon.

• 1 month later...

Hey there,

I've done almost the same thing over the last couple months. I used a 318 out of a 95 dakota and kept all the fuel injection components. I used the dart manifold on the driver side and that allowed me to shift the engine to the proper spot. The older manifold fit the magnum head but has one spot that the edge of the head just needs to be ground down. It's not much. My dilemma now is a stearing gear box. Need to find a manual box that will fit the stock pitman... just got back tonight from a 20 mile trip. It cruises at 70mph smooth...

Hey there,

I've done almost the same thing over the last couple months. I used a 318 out of a 95 dakota and kept all the fuel injection components. I used the dart manifold on the driver side and that allowed me to shift the engine to the proper spot. The older manifold fit the magnum head but has one spot that the edge of the head just needs to be ground down. It's not much. My dilemma now is a stearing gear box. Need to find a manual box that will fit the stock pitman... just got back tonight from a 20 mile trip. It cruises at 70mph smooth...

Hello joe(pa), I have adapted a manual gm 525 type steering box into my 41 Plymouth . The stock Plymouth pitman arm fit onto the gm box .