Starter Pinion Gear Question

Cebreros

Hello there, I come here seeking wisdom on a possible starter issue. I would like to apologize in advance for my lack of technical terms, but I will try to explain myself the best I can. I took apart my Plymouth's Starter this week, I noticed the pinion gear had flywheel marks all along the side on the gear on it's housing. I feel as if the pinion gear bottom housing is hitting the flywheel when it engages, but this might just be normal. One thing I noticed is the "worm gear" the pinion  rides in has a "lock" that prevents the pinion from retracting once it rides out past a certain point, as if locking the gear in an engaged position.

When I bench tested the starter the pinion got stuck in the engaged position, I had to take the pinion assembly apart in order to retract it.

What was the purpose of that design?

I took the starter out after my car was not turning over consistently when trying to start but with the starter removed the engine turned by hand, I had the battery charged but was not satisfied. The brass bearings are very worn out and are being replaced and one of the field coils has a rip on its cloth tape, may have been caused by the worn bearings. I am thinking that those markings mentioned earlier may have been caused by the worn bearings as well.
any knowledge on the subject is greatly appreciated. 

post-9130-0-96839300-1463784876_thumb.jpg

post-9130-0-05256200-1463784889_thumb.jpg

post-9130-0-69790300-1463784898_thumb.jpg

post-9130-0-97923000-1463784909_thumb.jpg

I am guessing you have the wrong starter for that flywheel.

• Like 1

I looked inmy Autolite catalog for 1951 Plymouth

P22  Starter MCH 6101  Bendix Drive EBB-8  Bendix  drive spring EBA-2105

P23 Starter MCH 6201  and the same for the drive and spring

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

cell 484-431-8157

• Like 1