Any modern replacement for 48-49 B1B leaf springs?

The springs on my woody are no longer as springy as they should be.  Basically it rides like a truck! :)  I have removed the #2 leaf from all the stacks and it still rides pretty rough.  Part of the problem is I think the springs have lost some of their arc, and they also have pretty serious grooves worn in them.  My Dad drove used the wagon on an almost daily basis from 1949 until 1987, and has a LOT of miles on the original springs (and everything else!)

I have replaced everything except the leaf springs themselves, so it is not any of the other parts.  

Does anyone know of a source for replacement springs?  Or given the fact that replacing original equipment always seems to drive the cost up, is there a possible replacement from a more modern vehicle?  If I can find something to fit, I don't mind sourcing from a junk yard.   Maybe even something that will fit, but provide a little softer ride.  I don't intend to carry any heavy loads, so heavy duty is not necessary.

I really puzzles me how modern trucks can ride like a Cadillac, and still get the job done.

Mike  

Do you not have any spring shops in your area?  Springs used to be rebuilt allthe time, re arched, retempered new leaves added, bushings replaces, etc.  Many commercial truck repai places still do it. We have three or four shops in the area that still service leaf springs.

• Like 1

Mike;

What is the wheelbase of your woody?

FWIW I have the full set of leaf springs in my 3/4 ton 116" WB truck and they did not seem to be badly worn. With a set of gas charged shocks it rides very nicely.

I see all the time where guys pull a leaf or two to help improve the ride. I think all that is a is a band aid for a badly worn spring set. The ride should be pretty good if the springs are still doing what they are supposed to. As others have suggested I favor finding a suspension shop that can help you recondition what the truck came with.

Jeff

I removed springs for height reasons, but I know my front springs need to be re-arched, as they sit way too close to the bump stops all the time. If you can take the springs out and take them to a spring shop, it might be a more inexpensive fix then new.

Back when I was an Ice Cream Distributor one of my trucks broke a rear spring. I noticed it while looking in my rear view mirror and the rear axle looked like it was going to pass me as the truck was crabbing. I drove straight to a well equipped truck spring shop. They had the tools and knowledge to make repairs. In a little over an hour I was back on the road.

2.jpg

OK, lots of helpful ideas.  Guess I will have to do a little more research and find a local shop that can fix what I have.  

Thanks to everyone.

Mike 

Oh, and the wheelbase is 108.  

Edited by Frank's 49

Back when I was an Ice Cream Distributor one of my trucks broke a rear spring. I noticed it while looking in my rear view mirror and the rear axle looked like it was going to pass me as the truck was crabbing. I drove straight to a well equipped truck spring shop. They had the tools and knowledge to make repairs. In a little over an hour I was back on the road.

probably shouldn't have taken an hour. I suspect the shop mechanics were lightening the ice cream load for you... in the name of a "smoothie" ride VS a "rocky rd". :D

Edited by Brent B3B
  • Like 3