Square pegs in round holes??

I learned many years ago that square pegs don't fit round holes. Now I find myself trying to put square quarter windows into donut shaped rubber seals. I thought they'd be formed at the corners a bit at the price, but these seals from Steele Rubber are just straight material cut and ends glued to make a loop.

Damn hard to get on the glass - I think I need 4 more hands - and they lay open where they go around the corners.

Am I doing something wrong, or am I just going to be disappointed?

The windshield one looks like it should work great, it's formed to fit. Be a couple days before I get the new glass from the shop to be sure.

What vehicle is this? You were able to get flat glass cut? Nobody here will cut, say it's cheaper to buy online. And nobody will do the installation on a '49, it's "too hard" because of that exterior stainless trim piece. They want "quick and easy" jobs to make money. Where's the people that don't mind working?

There are plenty of places to get flat glass cut, 2 here in Rockport, Tx, (pop. 8500) at least 3 in Columbia, Mo where I spend much of my time. Price is all over the place. Getting the glass put in the metal framework is a little more difficult, and a turnkey job even harder. But they are around. Hager's custom glass in Columbia, Mo. does it.

This is for a B1B, but glass is glass.

Now don't laugh - I got one rubber on the glass. Now I have to manage to get the glass into the frame, while losing the tape and kerping the rubber on the glass. I didn't expect it to be so difficult.

post-459-0-49329500-1463665772_thumb.jpeg

Edited by austinsailor

why don't you just paint the duct tape the same color as the car and quit!   Sorry I just had to say it.

Have you tried to use window caulk to hold the rubber to the window and to water proof the glass/rubber mating surfaces?  That may hold everything in position during the reinstall.

That's one thing we're missing in the Technical Archives is a handy list of expletives, with instructions on their appropriate use.  I often come up with one or two when dealing with a problem on the ol' Dodge that seems to do the trick.  If I'da just had that discouraging word or two ready at the start, the job may have been done quicker..... :huh:

Seems odd that those rubbers aren't molded at least a little square.  When I installed new weather strip on my daughter's Falcon, it didn't want to stay on the glass either.  I used sealer specifically for the purpose, and let it set up before attempting to put it all on the car.  (Same as you, I used duct tape to hold it on.)  To ease installation, I just used silicone lubricant, (Liquid Wrench in this case).  It slipped right on using the string method, and everything squared up gradually on its own as it was getting installed.  Used the Liquid Wrench to get the trim back on, too.  Which I did after the glass was installed. 

I got the rubber on the glass, as you probably saw in the picture, but when I went to put it in a bit ago, there is no way unless the rubber and glass are one.  Guess I'll have to get that rubber/glass glue and set them up with that first. It's going to take some pretty rough pushing and forcing to get them inn from behind. Lots of rubber on the inside to work into place.

Has anyone here put in those corner windows? Any hints?

Gene

Hi Gene, I have not yet, but you might try posting on the truck side also. I saw a few threads mentioning what a pain these are.

• Like 1

Had the same problem with Steele corner windows  the only thing I can say is that once you get them on, go over board on the tape. Taping the gasket to the glass on both sides , had to break out aluminum tape to get this done.  this was because I could not get masking tape to hold on the rubber when you started to put the window in.  I feel your pain  had my girl help me, she said never again.

I done this years ago on my truck its a pain sorry, make sure the pinch welds are smooth or you will tear the rubber I know I did that if I did it again I will grind the edge smooth so the rubber will slide over better lots of lubricant

• Like 2

I know I did that if I did it again I will grind the edge smooth so the rubber will slide over better lots of lubricant

I did find a few hints in the archives on the truck side, nobody mentioned grinding the edges smooth. That makes sense, thanks, I hadn't thought of that.

There is quite a bit of information on this topic in old posts here. In a nutshell.....lay the rubber out in the sun for a couple of hours to make it more pliable. Once your string is in place tape the rubber to the glass. Masking tape works if you use enough of it. Lube with soapy water. Windows go in from the inside. If you have corner windows be prepared to curse a lot......they sort of lever into place

Jeff

• Like 1

Careful when you put the interior trim/garnish on the windshield....it has been known to crack the corners on many a windshield when "over" tightened. 

48D

• Like 1

Careful when you put the interior trim/garnish on the windshield....it has been known to crack the corners on many a windshield when "over" tightened. 

48D

yep!  SNUG, not TIGHT!