Battery Cable Source

Bingster

I've been searching past threads but have been unable to locate one on where to buy accurate battery cables, or at least ones that will fit my 1947 Desoto.  Proper length and gauge. Bernbaum's are $33 a pop.  Seems to me there should be less expensive.  I thought I read Tractor Supply somewhere on here, but I have none near me and with these I'd like to see what I'm buying.

many folks here roll their own.....buy the cable form a welding shop....big box store will not carry the gauge needed....even at my last stop in about 6 years ago they all but laughed at anyone asking about a battery cable for 6 volts at the local auto/electric...they stock only what is needed for the average car on the street....you may get lucky and find one that has some NOS laying about but do ensure they do not have corrosion unseen by the naked eye by performing a voltage drop test...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I had good ones made up for about 70 bucks. Not original looking but high quality. So 33 each doesn't sound bad for original stlye. I had both battery cables and the cable from solenoid to starter made. I went to a local farm Supply place. If your wanting original large gauge style cables, they won't be cheap.

Earl

• Like 1

many folks here roll their own.....buy the cable form a welding shop....big box store will not carry the gauge needed....even at my last stop in about 6 years ago they all but laughed at anyone asking about a battery cable for 6 volts at the local auto/electric...they stock only what is needed for the average car on the street....you may get lucky and find one that has some NOS laying about but do ensure they do not have corrosion unseen by the naked eye by performing a voltage drop test...

I get mine at our local napa. Don't ask for them as 6v cables. Just ask for 1 gauge or 0 gauge in the length you need. They even came both black which is more like the OEM coloring if that matters.

• Like 1

I just made a set of cables for my car this past weekend (6 volt system). I went to the local welding shop and bought some 2/0 cable and heavy duty copper lugs for the ends. Then to NAPA and bought some battery terminal connectors. They came out nice and were not very expensive.

-Chris

• Like 1

If you don't have tractor supply, do you have Runnings, Farm and Fleet, or a john Deere or other tractor/Ag equipment dealer repair place nearby?  Lots of Farm stuff still around today with 6 V systems.

• Like 1

I had these cables made to order by a local battery shop about 10 years back. Price wasn't bad ~ $40.00, as I recall.They are the proper length and heavy gauge as mentioned by Young Ed...Could have had both cables in black, I chose red for the positive cable - just in case of a senior's moment. LOL

post-296-0-47085000-1463520999_thumb.jpg

I went to Carquest and got the cable and end lugs. They also had the solder plugs. Put the end lugs in a vice, put the solder plug in, apply heat until melted and then put the cable end in, let the solder wick into the cable, remove heat and let cool. I think it was about $25 or $30 bucks to make the cable from the battery to the solenoid and then from the solenoid to the starter.

Joe

Edited by soth122003