5th international "work on your truck day"

post-7576-0-73713300-1462743807_thumb.jpgpost-7576-0-29769600-1462743821_thumb.jpg

Well, the picture of the mirror from the site where I ordered it did not post.

But here they are mounted on the woody.  Note that the mount had to be placed differently on either side.  This was so the mirror would be visible to the driver, without the "vent window" post being dead center.  I also had to cut the tubing and re-drill so that they would be the correct length.  

Not sure if these would work on a metal door, but they might be usable.  

• Like 2

My photos had too much glare, so I will have to try again later this week.  I spent Saturday working on the front sheet metal, doing my best to get the front fenders to NOT have a gap between them and the grille - mixed amount of luck.  The top of the fenders, and across the curve are fine, but the gap down the side increases in spaces to almost 1/4".  I made the mistake of not assembling the front end off of the truck when the body work was being done, so it was never noticed that the gap had developed on both over the years.  I looked up my "before" photos and confirmed the gap existed before I took the truck apart.  Oh well, the 3M gooey seam sealer filled the gap and it looks good at 10' :rolleyes:.

Finished the wiring to the blinkers, got all the wires neatly routed under the hood.

Put the weatherstripping on the doors.  I tried using upholstery glue as someone recommended - the weatherstrip fell off.  So, I had to clean up that mess and then use the black, messy as hell 3M weatherstrip glue.  It held great.  For anyone using this the first time, tape off the area you don't want it on.  It is supposed to be spread on evenly, so I took an old butter knife, bent the last 3/4" of the blade at a slight angle and used it as a spatula.  Used it to spread the glue on the weatherstrip as well.  Peeled off the tape and put the weatherstrip in place with very little excess glue on the door.

Hang the doors on Tuesday and finish the alignment of the front metal so I can tighten down everything associated with it.

• Like 2

Does working on someone else old Dodge count?? I've been helping a friend finish getting his truck finished. Its a 1935 Dodge Truck. We fired it up for the first time a couple months ago, but Saturday I was able to make a clutch rod work for it, and it moved under its own power for the first time. We also aligned, shimmed, and installed the fender welting on the entire drivers side. That was a project! He liked the color of my truck, so he painted it the same. It looks great with the black fenders!

post-3516-0-79400600-1462807609_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-15532800-1462807614_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-34985800-1462807618_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-09044700-1462807624_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Why not get some of the Roberts fender welting? It at least fills the gaps and does hide imperfections, and although not correct to the original, doesn't look too bad once assembled.

My photos had too much glare, so I will have to try again later this week.  I spent Saturday working on the front sheet metal, doing my best to get the front fenders to NOT have a gap between them and the grille - mixed amount of luck.  The top of the fenders, and across the curve are fine, but the gap down the side increases in spaces to almost 1/4".  I made the mistake of not assembling the front end off of the truck when the body work was being done, so it was never noticed that the gap had developed on both over the years.  I looked up my "before" photos and confirmed the gap existed before I took the truck apart.  Oh well, the 3M gooey seam sealer filled the gap and it looks good at 10' :rolleyes:.

Finished the wiring to the blinkers, got all the wires neatly routed under the hood.

Put the weatherstripping on the doors.  I tried using upholstery glue as someone recommended - the weatherstrip fell off.  So, I had to clean up that mess and then use the black, messy as hell 3M weatherstrip glue.  It held great.  For anyone using this the first time, tape off the area you don't want it on.  It is supposed to be spread on evenly, so I took an old butter knife, bent the last 3/4" of the blade at a slight angle and used it as a spatula.  Used it to spread the glue on the weatherstrip as well.  Peeled off the tape and put the weatherstrip in place with very little excess glue on the door.

Hang the doors on Tuesday and finish the alignment of the front metal so I can tighten down everything associated with it.

Why not get some of the Roberts fender welting? It at least fills the gaps and does hide imperfections, and although not correct to the original, doesn't look too bad once assembled.

That is exactly what I did on mine. May not be factory correct but I think It looks better than seam filler.

The gap at that seam would have to be perfect for it to look right otherwise. You can take this with a grain of salt though as I left almost all the scars and dents in my truck when I had it painted. I like this look better than I do a flawless finish on a 60 plus year old work truck.

Jeff

Ya, I had never used this front grill section before, and it did not want to line up like the original 50 grill, even though one front fender was off the 51 as well...that welting hides some of the difference. I used dum dum caulk the first time, and although it filled the spot, it was a constant sore spot and on a super warm day, would start to move. All my dents aren't out either...but that's the poor light in my shop and the even worse body man working on it

Does working on someone else old Dodge count?? I've been helping a friend finish getting his truck finished. Its a 1935 Dodge Truck. We fired it up for the first time a couple months ago, but Saturday I was able to make a clutch rod work for it, and it moved under its own power for the first time. We also aligned, shimmed, and installed the fender welting on the entire drivers side. That was a project! He liked the color of my truck, so he painted it the same. It looks great with the black fenders!

I'd say it counts. Looks like a nice truck. That a homemade bed?

I went with the sticky, 3M caulk because it was all I knew about, and I first put a row of it on the fenders before I found out about the gap...D'oh!.  At that point, the grille and fender were already sticky and the fenders and inner fenders were in place, held by bolts.  I gave in to the "screw it, it looks good at 10' " syndrome.  BTW, what is the Roberts product number on the stuff you used?

Edited by Bobacuda

Well I burned up a couple gallons of fuel getting big red out of a deep sleep and outside for the first time this year...

Had to 1st tow it out with my massy as the battery was pretty low........ well not really.... just joking of course! :lol:

Bob

This is my favorite truck on the website

• Like 1

It's been a long time since I posted to this forum. But work on your truck day has always been fun for me. I recently finished the flatbed idea iv'e been kicking around for a few years. Here is a picture of us running for some plants.

thanks for posting again Sam, hope others that don't normally post or participate chime in as well.....    :)

This is my favorite truck on the website

AMEN BROTHER!

OK, got several slightly better photos.  Doors went on no problem.  Driver's side sheet metal, aligned no problem.  Passenger side sheet metal - PITA.

post-2050-0-07017700-1463069939_thumb.jpg

post-2050-0-95657000-1463069940_thumb.jpg

post-2050-0-81273700-1463069942_thumb.jpg

And I have no idea why they want to post upside-down.

Also finished my blinker wiring and cleaned up the wires under the hood.

Very busy IWOYTD.

• Like 3

OK, got several slightly better photos.  Doors went on no problem.  Driver's side sheet metal, aligned no problem.  Passenger side sheet metal - PITA.

attachicon.gifIMG_0308.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0309.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0312.JPG

And I have no idea why they want to post upside-down.

Also finished my blinker wiring and cleaned up the wires under the hood.

Very busy IWOYTD.

What color red did you use on the engine? Planning on painting my project engine red.

It killed me, but that is Ford Red engine paint :)

I used some Hi-temp paint I found at a Napa store labeled Mopar RED!  ;)

Years used ?, really do not know but said Mopar on it!

DJ

post-3654-0-64004200-1463091472_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Bob, hurry and buy a can of that paint, throw it under the seat and quit telling people otherwise  :D   

• 4 weeks later...

You seem to be lacking a windshield...lol...not sure mirror glass would be my first ride quality concern, but any glass shop can do both for ya ;)

lol....how did I miss this comment??? 

Actually the whole truck is in the middle of a wedding makeover....which included the removal of the Lexan racing windshield for the "real deal" (ie glass)..... 

48D

post-340-0-86381300-1465294435_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-23283600-1465294447_thumb.jpg

• Like 2