Trunk - Rubber seal and paint finish questions

Robin (UK)
Go to solution Solved by Robin (UK),

I've searched the Forum but I can't find answers to a couple of questions, so I hope you can help.

I am getting some repair work done to the trunk of my car. At the same time, I want to fit new rubbers and freshen up some of the paint...

- Should the trunk rubber fit into the trunk lid, or into the channel on the body, around the trunk?

- Should the panel that holds the latching eye be body color, or black?

I have looked for pictures on the web, but I've found rubbers in both positions. And trunks painted in different ways.

As with other details, there were probably different finishes from different plants - my convertible was built in Detroit, late '47.

I've attached a picture (not my car) to help explain my questions.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

post-25-0-17030800-1460743184_thumb.jpg

Well my old one and my new one is in the body channel.  have seen docements that says it should be there. but have seen them applied to both places.  My car is black so latch is body color.  You might address the question to the POC technical advisor for the p15.  Put it on the POC face plant page and see if he responds.

My 41 has the factory rubber (whats left of it ) in the channel and the panel is factory painted black. Not very useful as its a Chrysler and a 41 ,also its factory black anyway ,BUT I just wanted to contribute!

My 41 has the factory rubber (whats left of it ) in the channel and the panel is factory painted black. Not very useful as its a Chrysler and a 41 ,also its factory black anyway ,BUT I just wanted to contribute!

what body style is your 41, again the body style will dictate the style and placement of the weatherstrip...these cars look the same but have subtle differences

• Solution

Thanks everyone.

It suddenly dawned on me that I have an original advert which would give me the answers... and I've found it!

(see attached)

It seems that the rubber should be fitted to the trunk lid and the panel should be painted body color.

post-25-0-57756000-1460753630_thumb.jpg

My 46 had it in the channel, and I'm pretty sure that the 49 does too (I can't look, because both cars are 900 miles away from here).  Maybe it is a difference based on where it was built. Unless the channel is formed differently on those that have it on the lid, maybe they got different styles of rubber from time to time, and that dictated where it was placed.  It would be interesting to see profiles of original rubber from both types.  I can see advantages to both choices.