47 1/2 ton rear end question

Dennis_MN

I have a friend who restored his dads 47 W series Dodge about 20 years ago. This past winter he replaced the running gear with semi modern stuff. Mustang IFS for the front and then the 383, trannie and rear end from a 70 or so Dodge polara.

I noticed his old front axle in a scrap pile and asked what he was going to do with it. To the junk yard but if you want any thing come and get it. I figured that he had good drums and brake parts so today I went over and got the front wheel brake parts. (almost new shoes, drums, and wheel cylinders)

The rear end was different than the one under my 49. I have two wheel cylinders per wheel and his only had one. His looked like a lighter duty rear end and I ended up taking the entire rear end, brakes and all.

My question is whether or not anyone knows if the rear end is interchangable from the W series to the B1 series? The marking on the W rear end is 4 1 F

and above that is some stamping of 9 over a .30

I tucked my truck in a storage barn yesterday so I can't run out and get some measurements. Any one know what I've got and can I use it under my B1?

Dennis Sullivan

Monticello, MN

Upon checking and downloading information on the rear axle and reading up on the brakes, I decided to leave my rear axle in place. Basically Dodge made a change in the width and the braking system starting in 1948 and I want to leave my pickup stock.

What I did find however was a gold mine of brake parts. It appears that my friend restored his pickup 20 years ago including all new brake parts and never drove it. I have 4 sets of perfectly good brake shoes, 4 new wheel cylinders and all of the springs and misc stuff. These will fit in the front of my pickup for sure and I'll bet the brake parts will fit in the rear as well when I get back there.

The rest of the rear end goes to the junk yard.

I think I have a photo of his finished pickup and may post it here later.

Dennis Sullivan

Here is a shot of Kens '47 WC. He was 3 years old when his dad bought it.

After his dad died, he got the truck and restored it and now 20 years later he modernized the running gear with a Mustang independant Front Suspension, and the 383, tranny and rear end from a Dodge Polara.

Dennis Sullivan

Monticello, MN

post-270-135853445862_thumb.jpg

Yes, there is a flat spot where the 4 1 f is stamped.

I could take a picture but it is now dropped off in a barn about 8 miles from here. Usually there was a metal tag fastened to one of the bolts that provided the gear ratio but this one didn't have it. The guy I got it from described how he used to drive it in High School..... he could get it up to 85 on a long straight away. This is with the 218 6 . Could be a rear end fit for torque instead of speed. Anyone know?

The little tag makes sense to me because you could change the ring gear after manufacture and change the ratio which would make the casting stamp in error but you could add a new tag to one of the bolts.

You guys could come out to take a look and take it if you like since you are fairly close. Phone Seven Six Three-528-eighty three forthy eight (cell)

Dennis Sullivan