More Overdrive Woes

rhelm1953

So I am still working to get the overdrive in my1950 special Deluxe connected and working as intended.  I have replaced the bad lockout switch and have now realized that in addition to the switch being bad I am also missing the plunger that activates the switch.  Does anyone have a plunger they would be willing to part with?  If so let me know.  As an alternative can someone measure their plunger, length and diameter.  With the dimensions I can get one made, or several...

Second problem, the governor is not closing to complete the circuit to ground for the relay.  I removed the governor, chucked it in a drill and when I spun it up my ohm meter tells me it's switching.  I pull the cover off and install it back in the transmission and the shaft rotates freely (it doesn't engage the drive gear).  On close inspection I can see the drive pinion is damaged, see attached pictures.  Does anyone know a source for the drive pinion and is this a common problem?

If the pinion is bad what are the chances the drive gear is damaged as well.  Is it possible to change the drive gear without pulling the transmission from the car.

I now understand why the previous owner just used a switch to activate the overdrive but I am determined to make it work as intended.

Rich

post-7857-0-14404500-1460491347_thumb.jpg

post-7857-0-92219700-1460491371_thumb.jpg

That's (Governor) a serious problem.

Looks like the mating teeth-speedo drive gear could have damage too?

Possibly the governor shaft is bent now too?

Never seen that happen. 

post-302-0-82087800-1460499083_thumb.jpg

I had a case where a piece broke out of the snap ring for the rear bearing and went through the OD governor drive gear

snapping off the shaft which stayed stuck in the transmission.  Took a complete teardown to remove it.

• 1 month later...

That bullet shaped plunger is easy to lose.  It is also easy for a machinist to make a new one.  I do not have one loose right now

or I would give the dimensions.

A quick update on my overdrive.  I got a new gear from George Asche and when I opened the package I realized my old gear was the wrong one, The new gear was about 3/4" longer, the gear I had never engaged the speedometer drive gear, only the end of the gear teeth were making contact and that's why they were so beat up.  With the correct drive gear for the governor the overdrive is now shifting as it should.

I still don't have the plunger for the lockout switch so I have tie wrapped the handle on the overdrive cable so I can't try to disengage it.  My plan is to get a machine shop to make a plunger for me and when they do I will get a few made.  According to George the plunger needs to made from hardened steel or it will wear quickly.  I have a shop I've worked with before for custom parts, I just need to get over there with a drawing.

In the meantime I'm cruisin' in overdrive!

• Like 1

Instead of the standard rail lock out switch, a "microswitch"  something often found in industrial applications  

could be mounted where it comes in contact with the lock out lever breaking the circuit when  the lever is in the forward position.

These switches will handle the current well and usually have both normally on and normally off connections.  A permanent and effective fix.  It would also be possible to put a manual switch next to your control handle.

Incidentally, later overdrives on 12 volt systems , did not always use lock out switches but left the electrics on all the time.

seemed strange  I discovered this on a Studebaker.

I must be on a roll this morning.  I did a google search on Microswitch and find they are relatively easy to get and some are inexpensive ($4).

Two microswitches , one in normally off and the other normally on  would be an ideal replacement for the kick down switch.

It is easy to gang them together because of their mounting holes.

They also make great closet door switches so the light goes on like a fridge (and off again we hope)  Their electric ratings are more than adequate for all the jobs I have mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

post-385-0-11904300-1466617834_thumb.jpgWell maybe I have finally resolved my overdrive.   The image is the section of wire running from the overdrive relay to the solenoid which was pinched between the bell housing and the firewall.    It was a dead short to ground.

Really looking forward to some trouble free driving.   

wow...where would you have tolerance of bell housing to firewall that is this close that it could pinch and dead short a single wire? 

look between the starter mount and the lip    

Sorry, not good at uploading individual photos so I direct you to this album:   https://picasaweb.google.com/105464848349468493648/Magoo#