Transmission to Bellhousing Gasket

Branded

I'm sure there's an simple answer but, what is the purpose of the gasket between the Bellhousing and the transmission on my 49 Wayfarer.

Dave

• Like 1

I see a hole in the face of the trans about 5/8" I'd guess on the left side 2/3s the way up. Is this where oil would leak from. What's the purpose of the hole.

Seems odd, cant figure out the reason for the hole. I do see how it would leak without a gasket. Wonder if anyone has ever thought of putting a freeze out plug in the hole.

I guess that the hole in the front is for drilling holes through the case and inserting a shift rail or similar part, during assembly.  Why put in a freeze plug if a simple gasket will work?

Guess your right, I'm kind of weird alway syco analyzing things. :)

the shift lever inside of the transmission will go into that opening as well, if you try to plug it be sure to test shift that transmision before you put it in the car.

I can not remember which gear it is in to use that hole.

Edited by JD luxury liner

Now that I know what the hole is for I'll just be using the gasket. Thanks for enlightening me on the reason for the hole and gasket.

Dave

• Like 1

1948 Dodge. Standard 3 speed transmission. Fluid drive.

When I did my gasket I did not cut that hole out. (you might note that I actually forgot to cut out 1 of the bolt holes.)

There was no problem with it blocking anything.

There was no hole in the bell housing that aligned with that hole.

I had no shifting problems.

The gasket that was in there had no hole cut out for that spot. Oops, that was a lie. (see edit 1, and 4th pic)

Edit 1: Original gasket had a hole. (4th pic)  My first replacement gasket did not have a hole.

Edit 2: Oops again. Crossed out the wrong line last night

post-80-0-44043300-1460259977_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-73313300-1460260028_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-45219000-1460260066_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-28307300-1460261729_thumb.jpg

Edited by shel_ny

Without that gasket your car will mark its territoryand the trans will soon be making expensive noises.  While on the subject of oil  andleaks make sure you use a GL1 or equivilent gear oil in the transmission.  Modern stuff has anti shear adiitives for helical gears that do not play well with brass and bronze, which the synchros in your box are made of.

Without that gasket your car will mark its territoryand the trans will soon be making expensive noises.  While on the subject of oil  andleaks make sure you use a GL1 or equivilent gear oil in the transmission.  Modern stuff has anti shear adiitives for helical gears that do not play well with brass and bronze, which the synchros in your box are made of.

Trans is in with the gasket. Is the GL1 used in all the transmissions, mine is the 3 speed.

Trans is in with the gasket. Is the GL1 used in all the transmissions, mine is the 3 speed.

Seems that in 49 the Dodge manual listed SAE 10-W for both the Gyromatic, and the plain old 3 speed transmission. 1948 and earlier the manual called for a gear lube in the 3 speed.  Same transmission, but a different recommendation. Good advice from Greg on the Gl-1 if that is what yours uses. You should probably replace it with whatever was in there before if you were not having any issues. I think some have reported spinning too freely with 10-W oil in warm weather causing gear gnashing 1st and reverse. Others may have reported gear lube too thick when cold causing gear gnashing as things were still moving when they should stop.

I have no idea what was in the transmission. I bought the Wayfarer last August and I've been upgrading all the machanicals. So I have to decide on what's called for 10W motor oil or GL-1 gear oil. Im leaning towards 10w that was recommended by Dodge.

Edited by Branded

The gear lube  that I have run across has a very distinctive smell (read stench). Much different than the smell of motor oil. You may be able to decide what it had by pulling the drain, or fill plug if you don't remember that different smell before installing the transmission.

It's been a couple months since I drained the tranny and I'm familiar with the smell of gear lube and I don't remember the gear lube odor. This leads me to believe it had 10w motor oil.

I think there may be a misprint in one of the manuals.  The reprint manual that I have (D1369-) from a 4-51 printing that covers D-29 through D42 calls for 10w.  

However the origional  D-29 and 

D-30  manual (D13001) printed 8-49 calls for 80w in the standard and 10w in the gyro-matic.

Also the 49 Plymouth manual calls for sae 80w

And last but not least, the owners manual calls for 80w in the standard and 10w in the gyro-matic.

Just food for thought.

Edited by 49roadster

The hole is for the upper shift rail, low and reverse.  The lower shift rail does have a soft plug in it.

You will notice  that the gasket has a slot in it right below the input flange.  Strange but true.   Below this , but open to view, is the hole for the countershaft.  If you get any leaks here, the same size soft plug will effectively seal this spot.  The countershaft, when removed is to be pushed out through the rear of the case since the oil seal at this point is an interference fit between the shaft and the case. If it has been forced out the other way (through the front) a leak will often be the result.

Edited by dpollo