West Coast Mirrors - Anybody using??

We're doing updates on an active commercial B Series DODGE and need recommendations on a useful side mirror set.

We're looking at trying a west coast mirror set and would appreciate comments and ideas.

Thanks

Dave in Baltimore Maryland

www.flyingtigertransport.com

www.performancerr.com

Glad to have you here.....

Just taking a quick look at the links you posted which to seem to be, your business and the supply company you plan on using?

What year B Series? 48-49 (B1) 1950 (B2) 51-52 (B3) 1953 (B4) 

What size B Series?  B = 1/2 Ton/ C = 3/4 Ton/ D = 1 Ton/ PW = 1 Ton power wagon 

This LINK will tell you more

A lot of the Power Wagon stuff will work on the Pilot House Era truck (B Series 1948-53) but it would help

to know which year truck and size to give you a better answer. Look in the driver side door jam, for the body tag

to get the best info on your truck.

48D 

• Like 2

don't know that mine are west coast,post-6005-0-47249600-1460239725_thumb.jpg they sure are nice for backing up with a larger bed on the truck

if you do attach something in the door skin I would put some support behind it.  (mine doesn't have any yet, screws pulled though the sheet metal)  

• Like 1

I have little 5" round mirrors on my semi and it works fine for me.  I can back my trailer anywhere, the corner windows certainly help.  I also have west coast mirrors on some of my work trucks and they are very nice for backing into tight places.  The BIG problem is you have to train your drivers to look around the mirrors when pulling out of a stop sign.  They make a huge blind spot.  I agree with Brent about using  supports behind the mirror.  Although I learned from experience if you hit a bridge with the mirror it will still rip through the metal and make your wife very upset when she is sitting in the truck and the door glass falls on her lap.   

• Like 3

I have the west coast/ California mirrors on my truck...

The small mirrors on a stem would get shaken right off it as it's a real road pounder.

The large mirrors give excellent vision  and are vibration free.

post-302-0-80412100-1460561623_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-00083500-1460561875_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I had the larger mirrors for years and removed them. I now run with the stock mirror mounts which hang from the top hinge. On the larger truck, the support extends. On the 1/2 ton, it does not. I've installed a 5 x 8 mirror head on the stalk, and I get plenty of picture for backing up. This setup doesn't interfere with 1/4 view visibility.

Also, the WC mirror requires drilling holes into the door and invariably causes corrosion down the road. I plan on caretaking these trucks for another 70 years, so that's not good.

i love bob's trucks.  i wish i had a set of them, too.

i have the single long-arm rectangle mirrors.  they shake a bit, but work fine.  they aren't really vibrating when using them to back up, since that happens at very slow speed.

A0-D24404-D165-4119-AAD7-E6-CED56-FAED9.

PB020010.jpg

P9220015.jpg

and dad's (now mine) b-3-c has the west-coasters.

52-dodge-2008-12-07_006.jpg

52-dodge-2008-12-07-004.jpg

wally

Edited by wallytoo
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...

Not sure if this is a WC mirror or other, Been looking for a match to this one. Anyone familiar with brand or style? 

AB77EDA0-42E1-4F23-B717-F9B78C6FC9DB.jpeg.426996631478f1396d089e5ea565df24.jpegthe mounting is different

73701E4A-1619-4528-9BB5-87A07B5507BF.jpeg.28d755e149592a75c09f769e1475cf22.jpeg

than the other trucks I have. 
02CB1643-1F15-4A66-AEEF-73113122054E.jpeg.a989ef810bfa10a436575384ef055817.jpeg

I really want to go  with west coast mirrors myself.  My truck came with no mirrors,  but have the holes in the doors from a past set of west coast mirrors.

There was one bracket left on the door.

Mine were installed with sheet metal screws, of course they worked loose and so they removed the mirrors. Or they fell off?

Mounting can be a problem, you can  get  nuts & bolts on  the bottom brackets, almost impossible to do so above the window.

My plan is to weld the mounting brackets to the door skin. I think I have a decent chance to clean up the welds and paint the brackets ... Probably not fly in street rod car show. But decent solid mounted mirrors on a working truck Is good in my book.

0919211039a.jpg

I remember seeing different kinds of west coast mirrors at truck stops and local car parts stores, painted, chromed, with and without reflective stripes...cannot remember brands, but Grote still cranks out quality products: 

additional information - west coast mirrors

additional information - west coast mirror bracket (stainless)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

.....wow....that mirror will survive Armageddon

You’d think so but, somehow the bracket on the drivers side was broken and I swapped it from the passenger side.

2 hours ago, JBNeal said:

I remember seeing different kinds of west coast mirrors at truck stops and local car parts stores, painted, chromed, with and without reflective stripes...cannot remember brands, but Grote still cranks out quality products: 

yeah, I’m going down that “rabbit hole” to find what isn’t original but, it ticks me off I can’t find out any information on them ?

I may just contact Grote and ask them.

your right Wally, it is not the typical WC mirror I’ve seen and someone put a SS plate on the door. The lower bracket attachment is screwed together and then to the door 

E3F09710-C372-4039-B731-C32B01E673E2.jpeg.1e3cd265ad4a9a12cf2170c560461c98.jpeg

LC, if you do get WC mirrors, I really like the 5-1/2” x 10” my B4D has

83ED1E98-8FF4-42BF-801E-BB7F597AF68A.jpeg.65ea0cce2e7bdf728bec8b69007254a6.jpeg

My B3 (above) has 7”x 16-1/2”…. Looks right to me on a bigger truck. Just something to consider ?

@Brent B3Byes sir exactly what I am looking for. My existing mounting holes are the same on top mount as yours, slightly different locations for bottom brace/mount.

Why I am convinced at one time it did have them, That really is the look I am going for.

If you look at my truck as it sat in a field resting. The overhead glass cab lights, the home built front bumper, one time it had a radio antenna mounted to the side of the drives fender ... I am certain it was someones pride & joy at some time and it had West coast mirrors.

I am not trying to put it back like the previous owner had it, I am building it the way I want it. Just happens me and the original owner think on the same page.                

00D0D_fqe2fzJk5EY_600x450.jpg.2873c9c5bf631f6ae66d0185b6a7be15.jpg

On 9/19/2021 at 11:34 AM, Los_Control said:

I really want to go  with west coast mirrors myself.  My truck came with no mirrors,  but have the holes in the doors from a past set of west coast mirrors.

There was one bracket left on the door.

Mine were installed with sheet metal screws, of course they worked loose and so they removed the mirrors. Or they fell off?

Mounting can be a problem, you can  get  nuts & bolts on  the bottom brackets, almost impossible to do so above the window.

My plan is to weld the mounting brackets to the door skin. I think I have a decent chance to clean up the welds and paint the brackets ... Probably not fly in street rod car show. But decent solid mounted mirrors on a working truck Is good in my book.

It seems like that would be a perfect application for Rivnuts. 

Just another image of west coast mirrors on these old trucks. They certainly have been mounted in a high quality way ... Nothing but the body original on this truck and they have them mounted.

Are they riv nuts? Did they weld the brackets? I would like to ask them.

It can be done and it looks good, but it is not simple or easy. You need to think it through.

image.png.2c40d865a83f3b95e5d69114d3448a0a.png