'49 Tranny Question

rb1949

Some reading on the '49 Chrysler created some confusion. Which is normal. So best to ask. My car is tagged as "Fluid Drive". Are "Fluid Drive" and "Gyromatic" one in the same? If not, is there something visible to tell the difference? Thought I saw they are different, but not why. The manual I have covers the Gyromatic. Your all-knowing wisdom will be enlightening.

Your 1949 chrysler has a "Prestomatic" M-6 trans. Chryslers own naming of the 1949-50 chrysler M-6  transmission. Of course behind the fluid drive coupling.

Check out the repair section of the Imperial clubs website.  Lots of information regarding the Semi automatic transmission regardless of the name or whether it is in a Dodge, Desoto, or Chrysler, and by what marketing name it was called, Gyro matic, Presto matic, Tip Toe or Truckomatic. As noted above the fluid drive and the transmissions are separate and distinct assemblies.  

I have a reprint from the Imperial Club (dated 2007) regarding the M-6. The pile of owner documents indicate the Prestomatic name. Which consists of the Fluid Drive, Safety Clutch and tranny. Access to checking fluid is via a panel in the floorboard hump?  Grumble grumble, the replacement carpet (and pad) are glued down quite securely. I did pull up enough to spot the small access plate to the master cylinder. Has anyone transplanted the semi-automatic with a regular 3 speed? Or does that require a truckload of parts. Would be fun if some kind of 4 speed matched the bolt pattern. Y'all seem to have adapted most anything into these cruisers.

edit: The M-6 semiautomatic transmission was marketed under the name "Prestomatic" at Chrysler, "Tip-Toe Shift" at DeSoto, and "Gyro-Matic" at Dodge.

Edited by rb1949