More Fluid Drive seal ramblings....

BillMurphy
Go to solution Solved by Don Coatney,

Given the fact the graphite seals are not easy to come by, I'm surprised no one is reproducing them. I'm sure graphite isn't pleasant to work with, (I'm sure it would need to be machined wet). There are a lot of Fluid Drive cars still around so there has to be a market, I would think.  I also wonder if there could be a more modern substitution. Teflon? like Teflon buttons for wrist pins? Nylon? there are all types and some can withstand high heat. If a Fluid Drive isn't leaking yet there is no guaranty it wont leak in the future, so once again there is a market. Before you invite me to do it, I don't own a machine shop which is a stumbling block....Thoughts?

From my experience and what I've read the couplings are extreamly reliable. Mine doesn't leak at all. Wish I could say the same on my rear main seal. lol

That's why most people say don't touch it, use it. If it's not leaking or it's a minor leak leave it be. Make sure it's topped off. Some recommend changing the fluid while others don't. Chrysler never intended for these couplings to be inuse more than a few years. So that's why they didn't have a drain and refill service.

There are people that service them. I believe Bernbaum's and Roberts can send them out. But if I recall its 1500.00 exchange. I don't know of anyone using their service to report the outcome.

Earl

Never touch one other than checking the fluid level and hope it's full.

When tampered with that's the start of the end.

• Like 1

I thought they were different enough topics because I was asking if there may be a way to make new seals. I'll stop now.

You're good, don't be intimidated. Can never have too many posts. Can't search if you only have a couple threads. Mods will police so don't worry about the ppl that aren't mods.

mopar-earl,  I wasn't asking for a rebuilder, I was casting out about a way to come up with an alternative to a long obsolete part. I thought this might be interesting to ponder and discuss. Guess not. But I did learn "if it aint broke don't fix it". but thanks, I thought it was me.... Bill

mopar-earl, I wasn't asking for a rebuilder, I was casting out about a way to come up with an alternative to a long obsolete part. I thought this might be interesting to ponder and discuss. Guess not. But I did learn "if it aint broke don't fix it". but thanks, I thought it was me.... Bill

Seals are available. I see them on eBay all the time. I believe Bernbaum's has them or did. Mentioned the service option as an option for you as well as others. Do you have the special tools to replace the seal? It requires special tools that aren't easy to come by. I'm not sure why you would want to try and make a seal when you can buy them. But any seal, home made or factory won't do much good if you can't remove and install the new seal.

I try to give as many options as I can to be helpful to the OP as well as others. Sorry you did not like that but it is a public forum. I even defended your second thread. Lol

Earl

Edited by mopar_earl

Seals are available. I see them on eBay all the time. I believe Bernbaum's has them or did. Mentioned the service option as an option for you as well as others. Do you have the special tools to replace the seal? It requires special tools that aren't easy to come by. I'm not sure why you would want to try and make a seal when you can buy them. But any seal, home made or factory won't do much good if you can remove and install the new seal.

I try to give as many options as I can to be helpful to the OP as well as others. Sorry you did not like that but it is a public forum. I even defended your second thread. Lol

Earl

Sounds like a good reason to have all the info in one thread.......

• Like 1

mopar-earl, I know you were defending my thread, I was just mentioning the rebuilding thing for people who tuned in late. I once worked for a well known antique auto parts supplier ,who advertises in Hemmings. We were always talking about ways to duplicate obsolete parts. I guess I find that kind of problem solving interesting. That was the meaning of this particular thread vs my other one. Roll it all into one thread, all is cool.

• Like 1

• Solution

mopar-earl, I know you were defending my thread, I was just mentioning the rebuilding thing for people who tuned in late. I once worked for a well known antique auto parts supplier ,who advertises in Hemmings. We were always talking about ways to duplicate obsolete parts. I guess I find that kind of problem solving interesting. That was the meaning of this particular thread vs my other one. Roll it all into one thread, all is cool.

Bill, Thanks for your response. I find it much easier to resolve questions forum members have if all the eggs are in one basket so to speak. Much easier to read responses in one thread than to duplicate answers posted in another thread about the same issue. The most important responses are if it aint broke don't fix it.

Sorry guys, I was just trying to think ahead in case I run into this problem. Just trying to cover my bases in case "Murphy's Law" strikes. I should have done more research before posting, because I have found that graphite round stock is available. It is nasty to work with. The dust needs a vacuum system to control because wet machining permeates the graphite. There are companies that will machine graphite for you. I don't know the cost, but a simple ring may be not so bad. I didn't contact them because I don't have dimensions from an original. Perhaps the way to go would be to make a few and try to recoup costs by selling some. As far as tools, I think there are ways around that as others have posted about before. If I offended, my apologies. I may never need a way out of this problem, but I feel more confident that I have a plan

There are three different styles of graphite rings and bellows seal housings or housing sleeve.. all depending on the year of vehicle.