Transmission?

Shawn F.

I have been looking around about information for my Fluid Drive transmission in my 46 Chrysler Windsor 3 window business coupe and have a few questions for you guys. What do you think of the fluid drive transmission?

Has anyone here put a T-5 behind a flathead 6 251?

Is it hard to put a T-5?

I don't know if I should change the tranny or what. Reason I ask this is because I just purchased the car a few months ago and it still needs a lot of work to get it running or started, all new brakes and suspension too. The engine has well over 117,000 miles on it and I am guessing the tranny does to. From what I know and hear my car is very rare and everyone says to keep it as stock as possible. I want to drive the car comfortably and make it as reliable as possible but still make it to where if I change anything I can always add the stock stuff back on...

So basically what I am asking is for ANY information on the T5 install and how much work it is to do this. Do I have to change the driveshaft or rear end? Is it better to change the rear end?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Shawn, post your question on the P15 D24 Forum on this website. Don Coatney, is one gent who has done this exact trans mod, he has it bolted up to a 251 Desoto engine. Read your posts on the AACA forum......Fred

Hola Shawn

The people who do not understand, switch the Fluid-drive ( M-6 )transmission to an new one. This item was not in the Dodge Division or Plymouths at that time.

Your car was an vehicle that a regular "Joe" did not have the money for.

If you just want to change some things, go for the OEM six paddle HD cooling fan , the electric optioned pos grd 6 volt 50 or 55 AMP generator, the windshield sun visor with the traffic light viewer that mounts on the dash. That is if the car does not have them. If it has all, make sure all works in an correct manner.

Keep this car spec'd out as original as possible and it will always be an crowd pleaser. And the value will rise just like mutural funds.

Look for an passenger door mounted swamp cooler.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/46-48Chryslers/

In yester-year the street lighting was not the same as today. This is why vehicles had spot lights mounted on the "A" pillar's and additional driving lights on the front grill area ( ... http://www.unityusa.com/ ).

The two door Coupe with the small rear windows would have been an young college grad who had an member-ship at the Country Club. The Coupe with no rear window maybe would have been an company person that over-saw an large area in the upper class company car.

Please keep us posted in either way that you go with the car.

Rodger & Gabby

FltSgt@msn.com

COS

ps

talk to some one before you try looking for fluids to put in the transmission or how to shift it.

Shawn;

I have installed a non world class T-5 from a Chevy S-10 in my Desoto powered Plymouth. I did not track all costs because once I was committed to doing this modification the cost did not matter. For pictures of how I did it follow the link below. I am very pleased with the outcome and recently drove my car 650 miles in one day crusing easily at 70+ MPH. I also installed a 3.55/1 differential.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v65/DonCoatney/T-5/?start=all

In_the_car.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the information guys! Sorry it took me so long to get back on here. I do not get notifications through email STILL (even though i am signed up for it on here and everything) so I totally forgot about this thread and a few others. Anyways, I plan the keep this car as stock as possible but will want to upgrade the interior a LITTLE (keeping it original looking besides I want tan in color), I also want to upgrade to disk brakes because of how simple they are to fix and they will work better. As for the transmission I will keep the fluid drive in it for now but later want to change the rear end and the tranny for better daily driving if possible. Whatever I do to this thing I will not make it permanent, meaning that if I sold it and someone wanted to put all the stock stuff back on it they can easily do that. I have fog lights on this thing, a sun visor over the windshield and all the trim and chrome is there even though some is pitted but not very very badly.

post-577-13585346128676_thumb.jpg

BTW, that color I don't think is the original because underneath it is black. In the door jams the red is pealing and it's black under there and the whole engine compartment is black and the firewall and such has old yellow writing on it (numbers) with like one of those wax pens but you can still read it (faintly).

post-577-13585346128998_thumb.jpg