Distributor to Plugs Diagram

Bingster

Diagrams are hard to read, I just go by the firing order.

Set the distributor so the points just open at TDC using a static timing light (basically a bulb with a couple of test clips or use a volt-ohm meter).

Note where the rotor is pointing, that will be #1 (should be about the 7 o'clock position if the oil pump and distributor were installed per factory but could be anywhere if not).

Now attach the plug wires in counterclockwise order (the way the rotor turns), 1, 5, 3, 6, 2, 4  (all the six cylinder inline engines I've dealt with have used the 1, 5, 3, 6, 2, 4 order).

Bonus points: If you think about how a four stroke engine works and realize that they wanted to have all the power strokes come at uniform times around the crankshaft rotation then you will deduce that there are only two possible timings for an inline six cylinder engine. I'll leave you to figure out what the other possible firing order is.

Also if you have a service manual or repair manual on your car there should bea wire diagram as part of the service manual.  If you look you will see the wires that go from the dist to the spark plugs.

I also am assuming that you car already has the wires running to the spark plugs and to the dizzy . Also assuming that the car is running.  Just replace them one at atime and if the car is running now it should run after you intall them one at a time. simple process.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Silly me!  I knew I saw that somewhere and I have a nice color diagram and there it is.  Thanks for reminding me.  See, that's why I need this forum. I'm not going to be able to restore "Carlo" without you guys. Any gals?

As for alternate firing orders on in line sixes, the 1929 Buick was the only one  I ever ran into which was not 153624.

When I was about five years old, I removed the wires at the distributor on our  '29 Buick . ( sedan converted to farm truck)  My father replaced them 153624.

Of course it would not run.  He removed the valve cover and sorted it out and I have never forgotten.   Just to keep the puzzle alive for awhile I will not divulge what the sequence was.

......now the day I contrived to make the engine backfire by turning the ignition off then on again while he was milking the cow is another story entirely.  I survived.  The Buick did not.