Starter Field Coils

James_Douglas

I am rebuilding a couple of starters. Remanufacturing may be a better term as I am making one with all new parts.

One thing I have run across is that there are two different field coil arrangement's.  One with two larger coils and one with four smaller ones.

In theory I am told, the 4 coils generate more torque than the two larger coils. 

Anyone here an electrical engineer, as opposed to an electronics engineer :-), and can shed some light on this issue?

Since we all shave our cylinder heads, more torque is not a bad idea on a starter rebuild if one can get it.

The two coil field coils are actually still available.

Four coils do produce more torque.

• 1 year later...

James,

I'm in this same situation with my starter (47 dodge).

The field coil package that the Autolite catalog called for has 4 coilscoils and small metal strips.

When I open up my starter it has 2 field coils as the parts book illustrates.

Another look at the Autolite catalog shows my series Dodge coming up with both the two coil package and the four.

If the 4 is truly better, I'll go with the package I bought.  how did you wire them?

And how did you get the damn screws out?

I appreciate any help you can give thank you

Clay

Edited by Conn47D24

removing the screws require either a jig where the square drive is inserted into the bolt with a hinged lever applying great pressure as you turn the drive from above and or one may be able to get buy with an Impact Driver...not an impact wrench.   The additional coils will require additional brush plate for 2 more brushes....by placing 4 coils in the picture you have doubled the N/S electromagnets an placed as 90 degrees to each other rather than 180...

• Like 1

Thanks  Guys !  I just posted my solution to the frozen screw issue.  Worked out well.

Meanwhile more research in an Auto-lite book  ( and  Dodge parts book )shows the D24 Using  " MAW 3005 S " a TWO coil set.

The Auto-lite book also shows the D-25 Dodge model using the MZ 3005 S set up with FOUR coils .  I had purchase this set before I 

found this AL book.  Maybe the cold Canadian weather required the 4 coil starter ??? Good Guess or no?

Clay