1950 Meadowbrook Water Pump

mmcdowel
Go to solution Solved by desoto1939,

The water pump on my 1950 Meadowbrook started to leak and I replaced it with a new one from NAPA (I had read that perhaps the impeller design was better than the original?)  My question is should I send out my old one to be rebuilt to reinstall at some point?

The aftermarket one seems to be working fine, but I like the idea of the original being put back on at some point.  I'm a bit leery of the sealed bearing and the casting seems to be a bit different from the original too.

Any suggestions where I could send my original to that would do a good job?  post-6896-0-53827000-1457378620_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Solution

I prefer the gates model that has the sealed beaing instead of the old bronze two bushings the bushings are the part that goes bad when the get out of round because of the impleer shaft.  To rebuild you can call Art Gould in Upper NY.

If you look at PartsGeeks .com com you can get a new wp for around 70 dollar.  They use the gates wp and I called Gates and they switched over to all sealed WP for our cars.  The original wp that you have in your probably was replaced at one point so you might not have the original Wp that came with the car.  If you are having your car jusdge they do not look to determne if original only if it look period correct.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I too have a 50 Meadowbrook! I thought I was the only one.

Mine seemed to have the original pump and it had a grease fitting and the impeller looked like a 2 bladed paddle wheel. The new one from NAPA has no grease fitting and a modern looking impleller.