Oil Filter

Guest philedmonds

Guest philedmonds

I'm just starting the restoration of my 1949 F1BA fire truck and don't have many sources yet. Can someone tell me what a suitasble replacement for the original canister oil filter element is? The one i removed looks like a fabric imbedded in a wire mesh. I assume a modern paper of some size will be a suitable replacement. Thanks.

I believe that NAPA has an assortment of these type of filters-p/n 1050 or 1051 seems to ring a bell. There was an interesting article in Vintage Truck a couple of months ago about how if an engine is clean inside, and a hi detergent oil is used that these "bypass" filters can be removed since they only supply limited filtering of the oil. I'm of the mindset that some is better than nothing, but with the advent of the newly formulated oils they may be right. At the time these were designed the oils aren't where they are today. I'll look in my shop and see if I can get you a definite p/n. Mike

Guest philedmonds

I was able to get most of the other parts I needed to start my engine from a local parts house. They seem to stock most of the stuff - spark plugs, thermostat, etc. If all goes well I'll crank it up tomorrow. I have put Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and have turned it over by hand several times. It only has 3711 miles on it, so I'm hoping for the best! Thanks for the lead on the oil filter. I think a filter is a good idea - it should cach any loose particles, dirt, etc.that are running around in these old engines.

Disconnect the coil wire and turn the engine over on the starter till the oil pressure gauge reads some pressure. I can get 20 psi on my engine, Then plug in the coil and let her rip. Good luck. Car canisters use NAPA 1080 Gold.

think I got mine for 9 bucks.