Ever ride/drive in a Pilothouse?

I've had my '52 beginning in approximately 1973. I worked on it, hauled stuff in it and drove it regularly until the mid-80's when I sold it to my little brother. He had it repainted and since then it doesn't haul cargo of any kind. My wife bought it back for me a couple of years ago and I fix on it when I have the money. I use it for parades, fun rides around town and Cruise Ins.

I was actually influenced by an early '50's Chevy 1/2 ton that would come into my dad's shop periodically to be worked on. It belonged to a family of single brothers and sisters who, in order to keep the farm, were never to marry. They kept their stuff very nice and I just loved it when the truck came in. One day my dad tells me he knows where there is a Dodge we can get for $50.00 but I have to scoop it out of a snow drift. I glady grabbed the shovel and have been hooked ever since.

48dodger, could you put the names with the mugs in the line-up so we know who is who? LOL

This thread is TOO COOL. :cool:

I must admit that I am a Pilot-House virgin. I have been a Mopar fan since childhood, since my grandparents always had Chrylsers, and my folks mostly had Dodges or Chryslers. We did have a '55 Ford 3/4 ton farm truck, which was the first vehicle that I drove that wasn't a tractor. Although I have fond memories of that truck, I'm still Mopar fan.

My interest in Pilot-House trucks came a couple of years ago when I saw one for sale along side the road. Once I realized it was a Dodge, I stopped to look at it. It was in sad shape with more rust than metal. It supposedly was a runner, but the guy wanted WAY too much for it. However, it got my motor runnin', so to speak. I started doing research on these trucks, which brought me to the parent sites of this forum. Then in May of last year I found my truck on ebay. I went to get it near Cedarapids, IA on Mother's Day of last year. It's been a work in progress, but I've loved every minute of it. And so far my only drive in it was limited to laps around the yard here at work. Eventually I may even get the body back on it and can enjoy driving it even more. :P

P1140196.jpg

My dad worked for NY Telephone. I have fond memories of him taking me to work at night standing on the seat of his 53 PH telephone truck w the utility body on the back. Always had a love for this body style-bought mine about 8 yrs ago and have been working on it and taking it to shows, cruise-ins since '99. Still like the smell inside of the cab, and the compliments on get on my work in progress. Mike

48dodger, could you put the names with the mugs in the line-up so we know who is who? LOL

Hey, no problem.

left to right: Reg Evans, Tim Estrada (48D), Bob Koch, and Jim shepard

48D:cool:

post-580-13585345860959_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'll be taking my pickup for a six hundred mile drive this coming week. Heading from Monticello to Grand Forks for a all school reunion and parade.

(300 miles up and 300 miles back)

Planning on taking two lane roads all the way, basicaly highway 55 to highway 75 in Minnesota. Hope to have my radio project finalized before the trip.

Dennis

I have a one owner (grandfather and me; same blood line = one owner :rolleyes: ) He bought in new in Februry 1952.

Approximately 9years ago some young hoons offered to buy his pilothouse, I was fortunate enough to be around and convinced him it would be better to keep it in the family.

Now he is 89 and instead of him giving me rides in the dodge I give him rides in the dodge.

I agree, this is a good story. Any chance there's of a picture of you guys and the truck?

The story made me wonder about the 3 trucks in front of my house, where they've been and who sold'em before the "kid" in the family could say "wait, I'll buy it". Lord knows Dad sold a few cars I wish I had a chance at when I was a kid.

48D

My uncle George bought a brand new one in 1954. Red with black fenders,and a fan mounted on the dashboard. Uncle George never drove that truck over 35 MPH the whole time he drove it. I think it was finally junked in the late 50's due to rust. He was born in the late 1800's,and ran away from home at age 13 to become a cabin boy on a 3-masted sailing ship. Spent the next 20 years or so sailing to China and other Asian ports before he came back home again to marry and settle down. This was the only new vehicle he ever owned. He died in his 70's,and was driving a 1947 Chrysler New Yorker when he died. He never drove that one over 35 MPH,either. Said that was fast enough for anybody. I really hated riding anywhere with him.

Drove my pickup towing a antique boat today in the annual Riverfest Parade.

(Monticello is on the Mississippi River)

The four speed transmission with Grannie Gear is wonderful for a parade!

Just put it in low gear and idled along for the entire parade, didn't miss a beat and didn't overheat.

Dennis

Yeah...a photo of the old boat would be interesting too. My old 1957 Redfish has been dry docked for a while now. One O these days I'll restore it. It looks like this one. Big fins!!!!

red58fish_redfish4.jpg

• 1 month later...

drove my dad's '52 3/4 ton back when i first got my license, 23 years ago. he still has it, and i drove it for three years back then. as per my introduction thread, the truck has been parked in his garage undriven since 1988. it's (obviously) a b-3-c, with fluid-drive and three on the tree. a previous owner converted it to 12 volts, and that's one reason it has sat in the garage - the wiring is a mess. still, it was a fun truck to drive.

it was originally from north carolina, so it was in great condition back when dad purchased it. it's still in pretty decent condition, just a bit dusty.

as for me, i just bought a '48 1 or 1.5 ton dodge dump in michigan. so, soon i'll have my own pilot house.

wally