Ever ride/drive in a Pilothouse?

Ok. Bob Koch, Jim Shepard, and me (Tim Estrada) took a long ride up to Reg Evans place in Grass Valley. That in its self is a new thread or two. As we were sitting around the table at the diner talking great mopar talk, old school hot rodding, and racing, the subject of the humble Pilothouse came up. I had to admit, before everyone, that I had never taken a ride or even driven the truck. So as we took stock of the number of under construction pictures and such, we wondered how many of the membership have actually experienced the magic of the ol’ Pilothouse. I can say “magic” now, cuz I rode with Jim the last leg of the trip. I can say I was happy to discover what I had always believed deep down, that its an awesome truck. So I have to ask, What’s your experience with the Dodge Pilothouse Era Truck?

48D:cool:

Guest jtw3749c

I've had my 53 since 1987, and used to use it for my work truck, as in drive to work and what ever hauling I had to do. I used it regularly for around seven or eight years. Yep enjoyed it too.

Guest LuigiSD-50B2D

Drove mine ever since I was old enough to reach the peddles. It belonged to my grandpa who ran a 10 acre truck garden. We would use it to bring vegetables to to the corner grocery stores (before corp farms took over). Fondest memories were in that truck. Now I own it and will one day restore it. It currently has only 22000 miles and orriginal tires.

Guest P15-D24

I was driving my three or four times a week. About half those trips were "working" trips like hauling stuff. The rest were just going to work.

I bought my first one in 1979 and I've been hooked ever since. I had a 48 1.5 ton in the mid 80's I used to haul my tractor to job sites with. I built a small motor home on a 52 3/4 ton and used for many years until the kids got too big. Been driving Ole Yeller,my present one,for about 10 years now.

Tim or Jim or Bob.......where's the photos from your Friday visit?

PS....I found the mustard and ketchup .....well my wife did.....after you guys left.

• Haha 1

My Grandfather lived in Woodberry Il. and had a 1951 1/2 ton in 1960, I was six. He was a serious Fox Hunter in those days. We would take off in the truck around sunset in the summer time and drive all the field roads in the area until the sun came up, listening to the dogs bark as they chased the fox. He could tell where each dog was in the pack just by the tone of their bark. When I found my 1951 3/4 ton in Chico, Ca in the same original Judson Green I had to have it. Even though my Grandfather and his 51 are gone. I think of him every time I get behind the wheel of mine. Maybe it is just in my mind, but it even smells the same as his did in 1960.

Dutch

I have had my 52 1 ton since 1972. Put a 265 in it in 1974 and still runs great after all these years.Hauled a lot of stuff with it! Also have a 1953 4 tonner I bought in 84. Thats a job to drive that beast but-fun! There really well built trucks and I`ll keep em till I can`t drive em anymore!!

Bob

• Like 1

I had my first ride in my neighbors new 1948 Green pilothouse cab with a black box and fenders. He was a butcher and was delivering meat when his daughter and I got a ride.

So I had been looking for one just like it for a number of years and found a red one in drivable condition last October and have been using almost daily after its long winter storage. (it did sit for the month of April in my garage for some cleanup)

Dennis

Ok, ok, here's a couple of shots. I have to admit, in spite of the heat, I had a great time. Next time I'll search for the mustard...?action=view&current=DSCF0041.jpg

?action=view&current=DSCF0044.jpg

By the way, I've been driving mine ever since I bought it in 1996; although it sat for about 6 years in between in there before I started to restore it.

I barely remember my dads pilothouse pickup. It was a '53 with a 3 on the tree. Blue and had the defroster fan mounted on the dash. He use to let us ride around in the back when ever we went somewhere. About a year ago I kinda got a bug to pick one up. Then last September I found mine on Ebay and just had to have it. My dad was a chrysler mechanic for 35 years before retiring about 15 or 16 years ago. He loves it when I stop by in the "old Dodge" as he calls it. Ahhhh......the good old days.

Ok, since all you guys have expanded this answer to take in your first recollection of a pilothouse, I thought I'd do the same. Like many of you, my Grandfather had one of these. In talking with one of my Uncles several years ago, I found out it was a B1C (1949) that they bought used. They also had a pre-Pilothouse flatbed.

?action=view&current=hatcherytrucks.jpg

In the photo my Grandfather is in the flatbed and one of my Uncles is in the Pilothouse. They owned and operated a chicken hatchery in southern Indiana from right after WWII until my Grandfather passed away in 1991. In the late 40's/early 50's they wewre one of the largest shippers of baby chicks in the mid-west. I don't actually remember the truck so much as the photo. Anyway, I've always been a little partial to Pilothouse trucks, even before I knew that's what they were called.

got mine about 4 years ago, I have been a been able to drive it for about 500 miles, and absolutely love it. Next year hope to finish the body work ie steel fabrication and then next year hope to have it painted.

Wow, these responses are incredible. I hope they keep coming. To tell more on myself, I have go back only a few years. I'm a big muscle car fan and have several Chargers, B-body cars as well as A-body cars. I race a 1972 Charger in a circle track division. I was driving down the road in my 2001 Dodge truck when I saw an old truck for sale. I didn't know what the old Dodges looked like and it took about 10 passes on the road 'til I realized it was a Dodge. At that point the wallet came out and the trailer was loaded. I took it home and stared at it for about 3 years. This club and forum has been outstanding and has inspired me to get this project done. I have three trucks now and somewhere in there is a single finished truck. I want to Thank Jim again for the ride and thank Bob for telling me to "get in". I may not have a "when I was kid story" about the 48, but my kids will....:cool:

When I was pretty little back in the 80s Dad had a blue with black box 51-52. Bought it with a bad engine and swapped in another used one which didn't last much longer. I recall playing around in the parts truck and the drive to meet the new owner after he sold it. Second engine was blowing up as we drove it there. I imagine it ended up a street rod as thats what the new owner said he intended to do.

When I was pretty little .

Ed;

I believe the little part but the purdy thing has me stumped:confused:

This thread is great. Lots of cool old pictures! My first pickup experiance was in a Cheby that my uncle owned. And I do not have any pictures of it to share.

I've added some pictures to expand on Jim Shephards about our trip to Grass Valley and Reg Evans Home. By the way, Even though I own a '53 pilothouse, I've never ridden in one as mine was in parts when I got it. What a joy it was to ride with Jim on this trip in his truck. It ran like a sewing machine, never missing a single beat. And it didn't complaint about the weather either.

Here's a link to a series of pictures of our trip. I also have some video that I'll try to add soon. Just click on the picture below

Trip_to_Reg.jpg

And don't forget to create your own album on the DPETCA site. It's there just waiting for all your truck pictures.

In talking with one of my Uncles several years ago, I found out it was a B1C (1949) that they bought used. They also had a pre-Pilothouse flatbed.

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/shephatchery/?action=view&current=hatcherytrucks.jpg

I think I can just see a cowl light in front of that door which would make it a 41-47 probably a wf model.

I have a one owner (grandfather and me; same blood line = one owner :rolleyes: ) He bought in new in Februry 1952.

Approximately 9years ago some young hoons offered to buy his pilothouse, I was fortunate enough to be around and convinced him it would be better to keep it in the family.

Now he is 89 and instead of him giving me rides in the dodge I give him rides in the dodge.