To buy or not to buy.......

VCustoms

Well I have found myself between a rock and a hard place. I came across a deal that I may not want to pass up but for parts I don't really need for my 48. A gentlemen near me is selling is 48 Plymouth business coupe for an amount that I cant pass up. It doesn't have engine/trans/rear-end or most of the interior. However it does come with an extra set of doors, extra dash, and extra hood. He had an extra front clip complete with chrome that I have already purchased from him and now I am debating on going back for the rest. He plans to scrap it all in 6 months or so if it doesn't sell. The 48 looks to be someones hot rod from the 80s. The taillights have been replaced with some small round ones and they also filled in the grill. I know how hard it is to find these parts and how much harder it is to find them at a reasonable price. Do you all think its worth it to go buy everything this guy has? Id sell both sets of doors, both hoods, the rear fenders, both dash's, and whatever else someone needed. I would use the body to cut patch panels to fix some of the rust on my car and could do that for others if they needed it. I know a lot of you hate me for saying that but that's the only way I can justify the cost and effort to go get the rest. Heck another option is I would throw on the front clip I bought ( minus most of the chrome) pick the best doors, best hood, and sell someone a 48 Business coupe. So whats the opinions? Buy the rest? Forget about it?

I'm usually the guy that people ask for an opinion so they know to do the opposite,but I'll  take a guess  here that if you can buy it all cheap enough it might make the most sense to sell the complete coupe as a package after culling out the extra parts for spared for your own car,and use the profits to buy new patch panels. It will save you a BUNCH of time and work,and maybe even put a little cash in your pocket after you buy what you need for your car.

Seems like a good theory,anyway.

Thanks Knuckle. The problem for me is that no one makes a patch panel for what I need. The bottom rear of the drivers side door jam is rusted and I cant find anything to patch that. I agree that selling the whole thing would be best but I'm at my max allowed car limit per city regs so this thing could only sit a week or two at most before I would have to kick it down the road. As far as cost, I could take all of it in one load to the scrap yard and make money but I couldn't live with myself if I did that. Its one of those scenarios where the guy just wants all this stuff gone because it is taking up space and he has no interest in it. 

Im starting to feel like its worth the 2 hr drive and and the work to get it loaded on a trailer. Missing a rear axle and no way to get a tow truck to it. Gotta find enough friends to help out. Kind of hard to pass up since the guy is asking under $400 for everything. 

I'm lucky to live on an acreage I guess. It's ALWAYS handy to have parts car around. I don't know about you, but the parts I always seem to need are the little odds and ends, like a trim clip or tiny little interior piece that I wouldn't have bothered saving when I sent the car to the boneyard. Now, if I plan on keeping a car for awhile I try to get a parts car cheap and just put it in the tree line behind the house. I say buy it, and keep the whole thing if you have room, or keep what you want and part out the rest if you don't.

I've checked scrap. I can get the car and all the spares for that cheap. 

In that case it would almost be criminal to NOT get it because you could advertise it on here,ebay,and elsewhere,and bound to get at least 50 bucks more than scrap. Last time I hauled scrap it was 1 dollar per hundred weight. Get the car and sell it for 100 bucks and you have tripled your money.

BTW,if you do buy it and cut it up for patch panels,make sure you let me know what you will have for sale and how much you want for it. My 48 coupe is a mass of plastic over rust down low,and even in the floors. I will probably buy anything you don't use yourself.

Edited by knuckleharley

There must be some value in recycling the parts into the Plymouth community?

If it goes to scrap it will end the useful life for restoring these old cars.

If you buy it and get some use out of it, then sell parts to others that need them...that is a worthwhile diversion from the scrap yard.

Reuse, Recycle.....don't scrap.

Edited by Roadkingcoupe
  • Like 1

Made the deal to buy the rest. Going this weekend to get everything. Starting to think of using the best parts to make a good project and selling what I don't use. I re-read the city zoning rules and I am not at my limit since two vehicles reside in the garage. I'm thinking the Business Coupe would make a good gasser project.

Made the deal to buy the rest. Going this weekend to get everything. Starting to think of using the best parts to make a good project and selling what I don't use. I re-read the city zoning rules and I am not at my limit since two vehicles reside in the garage. I'm thinking the Business Coupe would make a good gasser project.

LOL!

Welcome to my world.

There is nothing wrong with a world filled with old iron. Id rather live in that world than live with iPhones, tablets, and Facebook. So I guess since the deal is done I can tell you all the specifics. I bought the front clip that included the radiator supports, all the chrome, front splash pan, inner finders, and body fenders for $160. I'm buying the business coupe plus an extra set of doors, extra hood, extra dash, and extra bumpers for $300. I think I did pretty good. No title but in CO vehicles over 25 years old aren't that hard to get new titles for.

Picked up everything Saturday. Not a bad day aside from a coolant hose clamp deciding it didn't want to clamp the hose anymore on the truck. Found a great classic car yard north of Denver. Could of spent an entire day there. Attached in this post is pics of the car.

post-6773-0-79740900-1455575305_thumb.jpg

post-6773-0-20929000-1455575328_thumb.jpg

post-6773-0-16973600-1455575340_thumb.jpg

post-6773-0-63675500-1455575350_thumb.jpg

This post is all the spares he had. One hood and one front clip is from my car. The rest came from this deal. Two hoods with trim, two doors with all trim and handles, 3 inner window frames with wing windows, misc interior trim, misc exterior trim, and what's left of a dash. I plan on using the front clip I bought on the first trip on the car since someone ruined the other fenders on it now. I will then starting listing all of the extra parts and bits for sale. I don't need them and they don't need to sit around here. One of the extra doors is pretty rusted out on the bottom so that one is scrap unless someone really wants it. I will pull everything out of it before I send it to the scapper. Last pic is the bumpers that I am in the dark on. Looks to be 46-48 Mopar bumper mounts but the bumpers themselves aren't Mopar.

post-6773-0-13898200-1455575578_thumb.jpg

post-6773-0-00832200-1455575589_thumb.jpg

post-6773-0-26275500-1455575601_thumb.jpg

post-6773-0-64226100-1455575609_thumb.jpg

post-6773-0-22483200-1455575621_thumb.jpg

Edited by VCustoms

This post is all the spares he had. One hood and one front clip is from my car. The rest came from this deal. Two hoods with trim, two doors with all trim and handles, 3 inner window frames with wing windows, misc interior trim, misc exterior trim, and what's left of a dash. I plan on using the front clip I bought on the first trip on the car since someone ruined the other fenders on it now. I will then starting listing all of the extra parts and bits for sale. I don't need them and they don't need to sit around here. One of the extra doors is pretty rusted out on the bottom so that one is scrap unless someone really wants it. I will pull everything out of it before I send it to the scapper. Last pic is the bumpers that I am in the dark on. Looks to be 46-48 Mopar bumper mounts but the bumpers themselves aren't Mopar.

i think the bumpers are Mopar,but late 50's,early 60's. I know I know what they are,but just can't remember right now.

i think the bumpers are Mopar,but late 50's,early 60's. I know I know what they are,but just can't remember right now.

I think they kind of look like 1957 dodge royal lancer that would be my guess

That's quite a deal to get all that for such a low price. It'll make a great looking car when it's done and a lot fun creating to get there.

Thanks Falcon. Not sure if I will keep this one yet. I'm chomping at the bit to get my other 48 running and I picked this one up just to save it from the crusher. If I do end up keeping it then it will turn into a gasser with a twist in the drivetrain compartment. Guess we'll see how things work out haha.