Heat riser valve - do it yourself solution

PT81Jan

I don`t know, if this interesting for someone of you ...?!

When I run my truck the first times, I had trouble to start the engine: bad when cold, terrible when it was hot.

Did cause really violent misfires when I tried to restart it (2 times at the petrol station ... but this is an other story :P ...).

I began to research which parts are responsible / needed for cold and warm start and how they work. I became aware that my intake/exhaust system was missing the heat riser valve mechanism. Everthing was removed, shaft bores closed by welding.

Since parts are rare here (I`m living in Germany) and the valve mechanism sometimes seems to stuck in place (I have read it, but I don`t know if that is true), I decided to develop a do it yourself solution.

To force the valve to open/close when I want to have it, I assumed that it could be connected with the function of the choke. Cold: choke closed + valve open. Warm no choke + valve closed.

And it works, never had trouble again ! :)

Attached some pics.

Have fun ! Jan

post-8844-0-71588800-1454231314_thumb.jpg

post-8844-0-14521600-1454231328_thumb.jpg

post-8844-0-77888900-1454231338_thumb.jpg

P.S.:That helped me to see how the valve works -> http://p15-d24.com/page/p15d24/tech/heat_riser_adviser.html

• Like 5

Thank you guys for that positive feedback !

I didn`t think about making kits or selling parts up to now. It only was a makeshift solution for me.

And I thought that this maybe could be interesting to read on an uncomfortable winter day ...

I assume there were different types of mainfolds built, so it could be difficult to develop a solution that fits on the specific type.

If someone has the problem too, I would of course help with materials and dimensions that I used !

• Like 1