Crankshaft Pulley Hub Stubborn

Jollopy jr.
Go to solution Solved by Jollopy jr.,

Hello There I am new to posting on this wonderful forum but I have been using the wisdom and knowledge through out.

I have a 1949 Windsor that my son and I have been working on.

I have pulled the engine and am in the midst of taking things apart preparing for rebuild and here is my real first snag I had no problems taking the big nut out

and balancer but the pulley hub on the crank is completely fused on.  Today I tried lots of heat and penetrant using a puller but no success

Has anyone had problems here? any suggestions?

I am at the point of cutting slits on two ends to relieve the pressure.

Use the right size/Type puller. Don't cut it!!!! Get a bigger /stronger /better puller.

I use these H-Duty Posi-lok pullers for the tough jobs. This is a 10 ton puller... maybe a bit too big for a Chrysler but not on a 30" block.

Maybe go rent a good puller if you don't want to spend $ for another puller.

Don't destroy what you have that's still good.

post-302-0-96531900-1453965519_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-34104400-1453965535_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Yes...There are six 5/16" X 24 TPI holes in the crankshaft hub can be used with a bar/ three/four leg type puller too.

That puller works too but should have a fine thread screw shaft for removing these sometimes difficult to remove MoPar crank hubs.

post-302-0-49990400-1454001868_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

I think your right Dodgeb4ya   I work at a Ford dealer so I'll see what if any pullers are available to me.  I've been using just a cheap puller I got at Princess Auto that I've pretty much destroyed trying to get this hub off. If not we'll see what the local rental has to offer.

I did find a thread on here suggesting a 5 ton Beam Style puller, I think this would be ideal  

The puller screw shaft cannot push against soft compressable steel washers

A solid steel plug or shaft that fits fairly accurately in the crank bolt hole is also needed.to support and keep centered the puller screw.

If the puller screw goes deep into the crankshaft hole and bottoms out that's good firm push point but the the puller screw might have a centering point on it and it will get flattened!

• Solution

Ok guys thanks for all your input you saved me from butchering a hub just in frustration.

I got a puller from my work that worked with very little effort I should of known "right tool for the job"

Thanks again

next will be the distribution tube but I think there's enough threads and on this one. ;)

Edited by Jollopy jr.