New Project - 1937 PT50

Good afternoon, all!

Long time Mopar fan, first time pre-war owner - 1937 Plymouth PT50.  The truck was built in LA, and it made its way to Washington for farm work.  There's a fantastic stencil on the driver's side door showing something about the "Max Gross Vehicle Weight".  The engine is a later-model replacement; the tag says to ask for parts for a 218.  Other than that, the major body work I'm looking at is the bed and replacement floorboards in the cab.  I'm extremely excited to have found this truck, and I look forward to having it for a long time.

I've worked on several projects in the past, and I've always learned something each time.  The biggest thing?  If it was running and driving previously, KEEP IT THAT WAY until absolutely necessary.  Otherwise, I lose interest since I don't see progress being made.  This time, though, I need to get it running in the first place.  My only goal is to get it to a running, driving truck, enjoy it for a while, then move on to the bigger projects.

I want to do the necessities:  fuel, air, spark, brakes, et cetera; things that will let me get it on the road and go to the local show, hence my question(s):

- what resources does everyone recommend as far as manuals, parts lists, illustrations, etc., go?

- any must-have tools?

- are there any spare/replacement parts I should snap up if I were to find them?

- anything else I'm forgetting?

I'm glad to have found this site, especially with an entire section dedicated to these trucks.  Thanks for any help you can provide; I'm sure I'll be a frequent visitor!

Dan

post-8683-0-05683900-1453664263_thumb.jpg

post-8683-0-80920900-1453664278_thumb.jpg

post-8683-0-27043500-1453664306_thumb.jpg

post-8683-0-96866200-1453664322_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I recommend a printed reproduction factory shop manual specific for your truck series.  There are shop manuals on CD available that you can print out pages as needed if you want to go that route.  Faxon Literature has some eBay listings ya might be interested in.  Ya probably should give some thought to the entire brake system (cylinder sleeving and conversion to DOT 5 has been discussed and tested).  And ya might want to give the fuel tank some attention (maybe Renu it) :cool:

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Dan, and congratulations on the purchase of your nice looking truck!

I helped a fella to locate (and buy) a 37 Dodge truck here in Oz recently. The truck needed a bit of work but he's almost finished now. Maybe a picture of his truck can provide you inspiration?...

post-3915-0-19747100-1453671267_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great find!  You know they did not produce very many of these trucks.  Less than 6000 from 37 to 41 each year.  My 39 is the 641 st for that year.  Be careful that the radiator does not have critters living inside or the remnants of them.  My first run after initial go through mine started to overheat.  Pulled the radiator out and lots of mouse homes emerged.  Do a reverse flush to be sure.