Motor Mount Thread TPI

James_Douglas

Anyone know who is flooding the market with the new production front motor mounts?

I ordered some from Neil Riddle (seaply on ebay) and when I went to put on a 5/16-24 nut, which I have a stock of in stainless, it would not go on.  I grabbed a thread gauge and it is 20 TPI.

It may also be metric, but, I don't have a metric thread gauge.

WTF!

I am not going to put on either a bastard TPI nut or metric as someday down the road someone will get screwed up.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea who's brain child these mounts where who could not specify the correct TPI?

I need one and did not want to wait the 4 weeks for Steele to redo one of my originals.

Best, James

• Like 1

Anyone know who is flooding the market with the new production front motor mounts?

I ordered some from Neil Riddle (seaply on ebay) and when I went to put on a 5/16-24 nut, which I have a stock of in stainless, it would not go on.  I grabbed a thread gauge and it is 20 TPI.

It may also be metric, but, I don't have a metric thread gauge.

WTF!

I am not going to put on either a bastard TPI nut or metric as someday down the road someone will get screwed up.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea who's brain child these mounts where who could not specify the correct TPI?

I need one and did not want to wait the 4 weeks for Steele to redo one of my originals.

Best, James

James...as it seems you are the only wrench on the unit..what the bid deal on finding a nut to fit...if you should have to service later, just keep the nut you took off......else pay to play and wait for Steele to fill a special order of your stock plate...I cannot see how this could ever be a problem....now if you got the one that was different center to center...that I could view as a problem..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

No Chineesy junk for

any of my old MoPars.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

Thanks all,

I got responses from all the vendors on ebay and they all stated that the nuts are metric. 

As to comments that I am somehow being picky, well, yes I am.  It is silly to sell parts are replacement parts for a car made in the USA in the 1940's and not have the factory correct threads.

I stock in my shop a complete set of both grade 5 and stainless SAE hardware so that I can fix something without running around for hardware.  I prefer to use the same hardware as called for in the Master Parts Book. That way, I don't have to guess or keep extensive notes on changes.

Thanks again all.

James

• Like 2

From what I have heard, the quality problem with outsourced parts is the American company specifies what they want, the chinese/indian mfgr agrees but then supplies whatever they want, then the American company is faced with rejecting lots and not making sales or selling poor quality and hoping the next lots get fixed. I ran into this recently with Farmall parts marketed thru Bates Corp, they were working to fix this but admitted they were selling stopgap parts that were better than nothing. When I needed new rotors for the 01 Blue Bomber, every source, Mopar included, had Chinese parts...better than nothing, but not very comforting. So as with many other things in this world, whenever I work on something, I keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best :cool:

• Like 2

From what I have heard, the quality problem with outsourced parts is the American company specifies what they want, the chinese/indian mfgr agrees but then supplies whatever they want, then the American company is faced with rejecting lots and not making sales or selling poor quality and hoping the next lots get fixed. I ran into this recently with Farmall parts marketed thru Bates Corp, they were working to fix this but admitted they were selling stopgap parts that were better than nothing. When I needed new rotors for the 01 Blue Bomber, every source, Mopar included, had Chinese parts...better than nothing, but not very comforting. So as with many other things in this world, whenever I work on something, I keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best :cool:

I have a good friend who is also good friends with someone he knows that sells nuts and bolts wholesale. He recently told me that what happened with his friend is that he was contacted by a Chinese manufacturer that produces bolts and nuts and given a good price on them. They even sent him a few boxes of mixed sizes and threads to show their quality. Seemed like a good deal to  his friend,so he ordered and paid for x-thouand bolts and nuts,and when they came in they were so poorly made he had to sell them for scrap to even be able to get some of his money back. Grade 5 and Grade 8 bolts that bent easily or just broke,and thread fits so sloppy they barely made contact.

I remember reading this was what happened with the jet airliner that went down in the Florida swamps several years ago,killing everyone aboard. The crash investigators determined that the aircraft quality "Grade 8" bolts used to hold the engines to the airliner were in reality poor hardware quality bolts with sloppy threads,and they just broke. This story was hushed up quickly,so I am guessing some of the company brass on the US side of that Chinese import company had political connections. IIRC,that was at about the time it seemed like everything was turning Chinese.

I know I don't remember anybody being arrested for fraud or neglect anywhere in the food chain,so somebody powerful had the investigation shut down and AFAIK,there were no news reports about the cause of the crash after that initial one.

It's usually the classic bait and switch technique. They get their money,they are in China where nobody can touch them,and once their scam becomes obvious and nobody buys from their company,they just change the company name and start selling again. The Chinese Politburo are dipping their beaks into every pie in China as silent partners,so there is nothing you can do to punish them or get a refund.

Edited by knuckleharley