Timing Cover, Oil Slinggers, Felt Dust seals, and other delights

James_Douglas

Hi all,

I thought I would post some thoughts on the subject at hand.  Since I have currently five flathead engines, two in cars, and 3 on the floor, as well as parts from 2 others...

In assembling the new engine for the '49 Desoto using a block that is a 1968 Chrysler Industrial as far as I can tell and using a "box" Standard Crankshaft Company rebuilt 4.5 inch crankshaft that is zero-zero...

I am finding some interesting things about the timing chain, gears, oil slinger, case, hub and the like.

I have three hubs on the bench and guess what?  There have different depths.  Also, if you try and use the Desoto style felt dirt seal and retainer with the short or the long hub and NOT using the oil slinger it will bind on the case.  Now the case may be a little different.  It looks like the depth or projection for the front seal is a little different on a couple of cases.

What this all boils down to is that there are enough differences that one has to be careful. I have two of the oil slingers out of engines and BOTH have signs that they were rubbing on the side of the chain.  I think that they may have used the slinger with the later chains which are a little different in shape.  Although this is just a guess.

In this case I am using a modern seal with the dust outer lip. So, I am not using the retainer and felt dust seal. I actually like to be able to pressure clean down in there from time to time.

I wanted to let folks know what there are differences and that if you go to mix and match you may get into trouble.

James.

• Like 1

I have run into the same issues over the years on all the flat heads.

Sometimes the timing covers are damaged/pushed in from improper seal removal and installation procedures causing interference issues.

Modern seals are better to use IMO with a perfect hub wear surface-speedi-sleeve or a NOS hub..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...