Fun discussion regarding 1948 Chrysler New Yorker

Thomba48

Hi,

I know, not the exact right place but exactly the right place.

Having sold my 1948 Plymouth Business Coupe I was kind of wandering if I might move up towards a Chrysler New Yorker of that same period. I kind of like their looks, but have actually never been able to drive them. There are not that many driving around here in Germany.

Now I was wondering if we could start a light-hearted comparison between both models in regard to:

• Is it actually really a move up?
  • Would it be so different driving a New Yorker vs. what I have experienced with my Plymouth?
  • Does the engine actually really make a difference ? V8 than is not V8 now! The New Yorker certainly is heavier etc.
  • Etc.

I am looking forward to your inspirations. Thom

I'm just wondering how much more difficult a car as large as a New Yorker would be to drive in cities in Germany.

BTW,Chrysler didn't get V-8's until 1949. 1948 Chryslers still had the big 6.

I have a '41 Dodge cpe and my Dad had a '48 New Yorker cpe. His had the straight eight and semi-automatic transmission, mine a flat six and Fluid Drive. They were both stock with the exception that his had radial tires. First impression, the hood on that Chrysler was a mile long and the car over all was huge compared to the Dodge. The eight easily out powered the six cylinder. The 48 steered, rode and handled much better but I don't know how much was tires. It was a quieter ride, obviously an upgrade from a '41 Dodge to a '48 Chrysler. The 48 ran with modern traffic on the highway better than the '41 but was even slower accelerating from a stop than the '41. I never cared for the semi-automatic, but that was just personnel preference. The car was, as I said, huge and it felt that way driving it, but it steered and handled very light. I have never driven a 48 Plymouth, but it was definitely a couple steps up the ladder from a 41 Dodge. Build quality was similar, both very good, but everything on the Chrysler was massive, including brakes, engine, transmission and body. I loved to drive it, but I preferred the Dodge.

• Like 2

I thought chryslers first v8 in production cars was the 331 hemi in 1951.if they had a v8 in 1949 I was not aware of that.however, there are many things I was never aware of.i was aware of the straight 8, but last year for that was 1950.as far as looks go I much prefer the 1948 Plymouth in a four door over the same year Chrysler. I do really like the three bumperettes on the Chrysler front bumper. capt den

• Like 1

I'm just wondering how much more difficult a car as large as a New Yorker would be to drive in cities in Germany.

I had a 48 Chrysler New Yorker around 1962. It had a straight 8 motor. The hood was real long compared to other cars of that year. Wish I kept it. My Dad junked it for scrap iron. Back then it was just another 14 year old car. Stan

I have a 48 New Yorker coupe with only 17000 miles and all original ,I have also got a 1941 Windsor convertible,the New Yorker is a bigger heavier quieter more luxurious car in pretty much every way.Its like driving a large boat or a locomotive ,you have to steer it !The windsor with the 6 instead of the 8 is a smaller more manageable car for everyday but if they were both the same body style then the mighty New Yorker wins every time.Parts availability for the 8 is good in reality and don't forget these things are built like steel girders or battleships.

An interesting discussion - as usual. Well driving a boat sounds rather interesting :-).

By the way normanpitkin - a convertible is certainly another step up in terms of design feel and style. On my "possible purchase list in the forthcoming future" I also have a 1949 Plymouth convertible. Interestingly shorter in overall length as the previous Plymouth model the Chrysler must look even more like a car giant in comparison to it.

I guess the handling issue should not be a general problem. Not even in Germany. And, any of these cars tend to be more a toy rather than a daily driving instrument, at least that is true for me.

I understand that there is a different transmission system in the Chrysler. Is it bullet proof enough or prone to problems. Having looked up how it works, yes oldoge41 I can see why it might be reasonably sluggish at the traffic light.

Thanks again by the way :-) 

Edited by Thomba48

I guess Chrysler did get the v8 in 1949. my bad. capt den

...really? what was it?

from wiki:

Eight cylinder[edit] Inline 8[edit]

Inline 8 cylinder - Chrysler's early flathead inline 8-cylinder 5.3 L engine used on cars such as Airflows, DeSotos and Imperials. With side valves and aluminium pistons, this was a low-rpm engine that produced about 120 hp (89 kW).

V8[edit]
  • FirePower - Chrysler's first V8 and first hemi engine, introduced in 1951 for Chrysler and Imperial. DeSoto and Dodge each received their own, unique smaller hemi line of engines in 1952 and 1953, called the FireDome and Red Ram,respectively . These engines, taken together, are now referred to as "1G" (1st generation) hemis, all have rear-mounted distributors.
  • Polyspheric - A polyspheric design introduced in 1955, derived from the FirePower for Plymouth.

An 8 is not the same as a V-8. The 40's Chryslers had in-line 8-cylinder engines.  Just like the straight 6, but with two more cylinders. 

"L-head" means that the valves are in the block.  Cadillac had a V-8 through the 40's that was a flathead, like the old Fords.  Buick had a straight-8 engine with overhead valves.  

Edited by DonaldSmith

Didn't get V8 until '51 I believe.

I thought chryslers first v8 in production cars was the 331 hemi in 1951.if they had a v8 in 1949 I was not aware of that.

You are right and I was wrong. It was Oldsmobile and Caddillac that went to a V-8 ohv engine in 1949.

IIRC,Studebaker also had one.

NO......it's a straight 8 no v...L-head means no overhead valves

post-75780-143139114708.jpg

Is that an original 2x1 intake on that engine?

Didn't get V8 until '51 I believe.

You are right and I was wrong.

I was thinging of the new OHV V-8's in Olds, Caddillacs,and  Studebakers.

The big thing about the straight 8 with fluid drive is it was (and is) extremely thirsty.  My Dad had a 49 New Yorker and he claimed the range of gas mileage was 8-9 city to 12-13 highway.  Of course gas was 23 cents a gallon then. My Mother complained about how hard the car was to steer while parking or at low speeds. Considering how much weight was on the front axle with that heavy engine block it is no surprise.  But I still wish I had one like it.

• Like 1

Is that an original 2x1 intake on that engine?

No.......That dual intake is off a 1950-53  Dodge  3-4 ton Moly block truck engine using the 30" long head.

No.......That dual intake is off a 1950-53  Dodge  3-4 ton Moly block truck engine using the 30" long head.

Thanks. I have heard of them,but had never actually seen one.

I have several of them and know them well.

Hi,

I know, not the exact right place but exactly the right place.

Having sold my 1948 Plymouth Business Coupe I was kind of wandering if I might move up towards a Chrysler New Yorker of that same period. I kind of like their looks, but have actually never been able to drive them. There are not that many driving around here in Germany.

Now I was wondering if we could start a light-hearted comparison between both models in regard to:

• Is it actually really a move up?
  • Would it be so different driving a New Yorker vs. what I have experienced with my Plymouth?
  • Does the engine actually really make a difference ? V8 than is not V8 now! The New Yorker certainly is heavier etc.
  • Etc.

I am looking forward to your inspirations. Thom

Yes, it is a substantial move up. The New Yorker has a more sophisticated, quiet, and more roomy interior. It is better appointed.

It will be different driving a New Yorker over a Plymouth. The Plymouth is lighter and noisier and gives a different sight picture from the driver's seat. The NY has a higher top end, stops faster and handles better with less roll than the Plymouth. You might note that either the Plymouth or the Chrysler are far better handlers in all respects than any Ford or General Motors product of the era, including the Cadillac which handles poorly and has poor braking in comparison.

The engine makes a difference. The 218 is a good motor and is quiet, but the larger 6 and even more so, the larger 8 cylinder is a more powerful and still quiet and smooth engine with very excellent reliability and cooling.

Oh and don't forget the Fluid Drive and Semi-Automatic available on the Chrysler and not on the Plymouth. Cab drivers loved the fluid drive and semi-auto for all the right reasons.

The Chrysler was not an everyman car at all, where the Plymouth was.

Edited by jeffsunzeri

I have several of them and know them well.

Did they ever make one for the straight 8?

Did they ever put the straight 8 in any school buses or big trucks?