P-15 rear end change

dale

Can someone tell me which modern type rear ends will bolt into a 46 Plymouth without moving mounts etc.

mopar_axle_sizes.jpg

Hmmm,I could have sworn the matching rear that came out of the 62 Dart wagon with the 318 and 727 was a 8-3/4 rear. Next time I am on the roof of my "office" in my shop,I'm going to have to take a closer look at it.

until the introduction of the 8 3/4 with flanged axles in 65..most do not like the yet continued use of the tapered axles and hubs....thus a lot of the early 8 3/4 are overlooked...will they handle the load..no doubt..they stood to the test of the 413 and other big blocks...you can seek these out...they are available to some degree and often at a lower cost...the drums can be separated from the hubs and later 65 drums used so to make brake changes an advantage..all in what you want and how much you wish to put into effort wise...

Doesnt have to be a mopar rearend.. Someone here said he put in a Ford. Think I just need to find one that has the same mount dimensions and wheel width along with the five bolt hole pattern and parking brake cable etc. Dont want to scour the junk yard with my tape measure.

Changing the perches is a 2 hour job....for an experienced builder..sure there is someone in your area that can do that....you want to keep the bolt pattern for the wheels..the 78 to 88 dodge diplomats are a great choice...leaf rear ends.......best wishes

• 1 year later...

Been cleaning up the 1999 Explorer rearend for the 46 plymouth.  Cut off the spring perches and swaybar perches yesterday which didnt take long with a 4 inch grinder.  Tried to get the bolt out of the differential to release a pin and enable the axles removal but as I read most of the time it wont come and mine didnt either.  So Ill go with the original wheel bearings and seals.  Put 1/4 inch worth of flat washers on the wheel lugs to see what it will take to have the rim clear the calipers and that will do so will order 1/4 inch wheel spacers.  The differential on the Explorer is 1 1/2 inch offset so hope the driveshaft doesnt become affected.  Plan on removing the old rearend next.