Bed Assembly Questions... Crossmembers

59bisquik

I am getting ready to put the bed back together. However, my Dad didnt take pictures when he took it apart and I havent found anything during search or on Google. What is the correct order of the bed crossmembers and which way do they face? Thanks guys!

IMG_1662_zpsupntmrjl.jpg

From the cab to the tailgate:

Cross supports are "C" shape, punched channeled steel, first three opening's facing the tailgate.

The fourth channel is shorter than the first three, with the opening facing the cab.

The third channel does not have a large bolt attached to the frame.

48D

Note: Information is referenced from 48-50 dodge trucks at my location.  

Your last two channels look switched.....sorry my pics aren't better.....not enough light for my aging phone. :)

post-340-0-90281200-1449714612_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-56847000-1449714620_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-24834200-1449714635_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-55043100-1449714664_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-42354500-1449714672_thumb.jpg

Edited by 48dodger

OK... swapped the short one to the rear. Now for the last question, two of the long ones are the same with a notch at the ends and the third has an offset at the ends. I am guessing this one goes closest to the cab because it had some bolts torched off of it? You can see one of the torch spots on the back of it in the pic.

IMG_1663_zpsidhfpbzi.jpg

Here is my cross member support sequence on my 1952 B-3-B.  It is the same as the others have posted here.

There are rubber support pads under the 1st, 2nd, and 4th cross sills that a bolt runs through to the frame.

The 3rd cross sill (from the front of the bed) does not attach to the frame (just bolts to the bed floor and support strips themselves) but has two circular rubber pads with a dimple that measure approx. 2 1/2 inch in diameter and 1/4 inch thick.  I will post a photo of one once I get home tonight.

Your Pickup frame is looking good being painted now.

Phil

post-7088-0-23349300-1449781933_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-32656700-1449789583_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil363
  • Like 3

The angle bracket bolts to the bed sides and the frame rail and provides the ground for your original taillights which are attached to the bed sides. 

Attached the best photos I took that I have of both angle brackets going from the sides to the frame.  It is important to make sure that you have metal to metal contact on both ends or the taillights will not work.

The second photo shows the location that the bracket bolted to my frame and I have left the bolt in the hole just to remind me.  Your connection location may be different from mine as you have a 1955 model.

post-7088-0-85849900-1449790974_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-21648400-1449792935_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil363
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. So looking at Phils pictures, the angle bracket on the bed sides bolt to the crossmember and then the wood sits on top and then has the metal bed strips on top correct?

look thru my thread as well:

http://p15-d24.com/topic/30202-building-your-own-wood-bed/?hl=%2Bbuilding+%2Bwood+%2Bbed

the proper order is (from top to bottom) bed side angle bracket : wood : crossmember : anti squeek material : frame

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but i found it very helpful to get my box back together. Not a restoration by any means, but to get it to useable condition. 
thanks for the helpful information. Just need to pick up 6 carriage bolts and make up some washers. 
i had box standing up on end,squared with a couple ratchet straps and it went together easily. I placed box on frame as an assembly. Very happy with the end result, including removing the plating off the carriage bolts,vinegar works very well. 

73658E85-EE4F-4B6B-800C-3724DCFA861C.jpeg

3 hours ago, bkahler said:

Ok, I have to ask, why remove the plating?  

Sore thumb syndrome. I cant have any shiny bolts on the outside of this truck. Only reason i finished the lumber is to preserve it. And knocking the shine off all those bolts would be tedious. 

Edited by Tooljunkie

There are A LOT of bolts to tighten.  Sorry I don't have the before photo, but I do have a helpful tip.

I did this back around 1978 by crawling around with lots of truck in the way.  This last time, I made a roll around, open top cart to set the bed on for reassembly.  The roll around cart will allow you (or some other poor soul) the "ease" of going under the bed to tighten all of the bolts with minimal things in the way. 

Over the years, the bed sides on my truck kind of "pouched" out, so this also allowed me to use straps and manpower to push them back in while bolting the bed wood straps in place.

380708222_Paintedbedwithnewwood.jpg.a9dc2bd854acf3cb317ea8765abf60bf.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tooljunkie said:

Sore thumb syndrome. I cant have any shiny bolts on the outside of this truck. Only reason i finished the lumber is to preserve it. And knocking the shine off all those bolts would be tedious. 

Funny the stuff we do. I did my truck with all stainless bolts. The original batch had nice smooth heads. During a test fit I ruined a couple (learned you need anti seize) and the replacements had letters on the head. Even though I'm sure no one would ever notice I filed the letters off those replacements

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tooljunkie said:

That makes sense as does your reasoning.  The only time I used vinegar was to try and de-rust a sports car wheel and I made the mistake of thinking more soaking time is better.  That was a mistake!