Crankshaft Sprocket Shims

James_Douglas

Hi all.

Anyone have a source for crankshaft sprocket shims?  I got a new sprocket, cam gear, and chain, and of course the sprocket is too far "in" on the crankshaft. 

Funny thing is that my 1949 and 1950 Master Parts Books do not show the shims, however, my 1946- 1948 book does.

The part numbers are:

537-829 (0.003) and 537-821 (0.003)

Does anyone have a photo of these shims?

I think they have to have a cut for the key as well as being round.

Thanks, James.

Why don't you just make one out of shim stock?

I've never seen any of those MoPar shims.

First, it seems odd that your chain is so exact that it will not accommodate 0.003" mis-alignment between sprockets.

Soft shim stock, like brass or aluminum, will cold flow as you worry, but a steel shim under the anticipated usage will not migrate any faster than the crank snout itself.

If such a small amount is critical could you not just remove 0.003 from the cam sprocket or is something else in the way?

• Like 1

I found this in an old box of block miscellaneous parts.

Could this be one of the shims? Anyone see this part before?

I have some vague memory of seeing one of these on my '47 Engine, but It has been over 10 years since I had that one apart.

James

Looks like an oil slinger to me.

Earl

• Like 1

I just pulled off the new one.  It is 1.033 inch thick.  I have an original and it is 1.043.  Difference is 0.010 or 10 thou. 

Interesting in that the original shims are .003 and .010 inch. 

Also, the fact of the cam gear is .002 to .003 out from the face of the block as opposed to two used originals.

So, the effective offset is .0.013 inch.  Not trivial when we are talking about gears and chains.  That amount of side loading will kill the life of the gears and chain.

James.

James, that part looks like the oil slinger to me, although my Oz 36-42 and 46 to 53 workshop manuals don't show or mention it, but I have seen it listed somewhere and from memory the 230 engine I had did have one..........dunno if this helps......lol..............andyd

I recall reading somewhere that some engines have a oil nozzle to lube the timing chain and some don't. The ones that don't have the nozzle have an oil slinger on the crank to splash lube the chain. If I recall correctly they changed it due to the nozzles plugging up and no oil to chain. Don't recall where I read this or if its correct. My 52 230 has the nozzle.

Earl

Edited by mopar_earl

The nozzle was dropped in 1956-59?

Then  a trough dripper  plate as I recall .

No doubt because they are hardened.  A soft shim will "cold flow" over time causing it to thin out and disintegrate. Little bits of metal in the timing gear is not something I like :-)

James.

I'm sure with your tenacity you could find the proper material. personally I wouldn't be too concerned about cold flow on a hot rod flathead.

The oil slinger goes to the front side of the crank gear... deflects oil from the front seal.

post-302-0-13002800-1449553270_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

I have had a lot of these engines apart and have never seen one without a nozzle.

I have a 59 engine on the bench now and it has the tube.   

The slinger, if used , goes between the front pulley hub and the crankshaft sprocket

Yea Dave...

I think you are right on the oil tube nozzle being used on all the flatheads up through the 265's  no drip trough.

I looked through my MoPar truck parts book..shows the nozzle on the 251's.

The troughs on the V-8's must be what i was thinking.

I have confirmed that the crankshaft sprocket I have was made by melling. It is 1.032 and an original MOPAR is 1.042.  So, depending on what crankshaft you have, where the step is machined, your sprocket will be too close to the engine.  Side loading is not good on those parts.

You can get shim stock, mine is on the way.  A good shop with a jet cutter can cut the shims.

I checked an melling is the only supplier of these sprockets.  So, if someone gets one...it will be the same.

Best, James

• Like 1

Just a follow up on this.

This morning I mounted the new Cam Gear and torqued it down.  I then placed a starrett  straight edge on it.  I measured across the center of the cam gear.  The crankshaft sprocket was 0.035 Inch in toward the block.  That is a LOT!

So, I will have to have three 0.010 shims cut and two .003 shims cut.  With that the cam gear and the sprocket will be in alignment to within 0.001 inch.  Should be good enough.

In the event you buy a new set of gears or place them onto a different crankshaft or cam plate, get a straight edge and see if they are in line!

Best, James

Seems like that cam gear was machined improperly. Way too much offset.

Almost sounds like the the crankshaft gear was installed with the bevel forward rather than toward the rear??.

Something seems to be off, but what?

DJ

• Like 1