Rear Axle WMS Measurement?

59bisquik
Go to solution Solved by Merle Coggins,

After mocking up my stock axle and finding that one of the brand new seals is leaking and I dont like the looks of the threads on the passenger side axle, I am thinking of a swap before throwing more money into this axle... which was NOT the plan by the way.

What is the stock axle width or WMS for my 55?

Explorer 8.8's are really easy to find here with disc brakes and Cherokees can be found but are a bit more rare. The Explorer shows 59.5" and the XJ shows 60.6".

Currently mine has the brakes and drums off, so I cant just throw a tape on it! Thanks guys.

Currently mine has the brakes and drums off, so I cant just throw a tape on it! Thanks guys.

Why not? Are the axles missing?

If not, clamp a piece of bar stock to each flange and drag your tape between the two....

• Solution

Tapered axles with no flanges. Don't want to put the brake drums on and then have to take them back off. Major pita!

If you don't run the nut on tight they should come back off without an issue. Just set them onto the axles and measure. Shouldn't be off my more than a 1/4" or so.

ooops....ya caught me on that...but Merle has a good idea!

You could also do a little deductive measuring knowing where the axle nests

in the hub and back out the numbers from there. Yup, you'll need a helper.

I went out and pulled the woodruff keys from the axles and the drums slid right on. Looks like roughly 62", maybe a a shade less if the drums were fully seated, but not by much.

So technically, for a 54-55, both the Cherokee and the Exploder axle are a bit too narrow. But nothing a little wheel spacer couldnt fix.

would not Merle best be served with the best answer seeing as it was his post to do this prior to your doing that same work and pulling the tape...it just does not seem right to ask a question, get an answer and then pat your own back...lol  but I may be the only one that sees it this way...just figure some credit was due the man for taking the time and effort to help..

• Like 2