Parts storage

Brent B3B

sorry if this has been brought up before.

I know the best place to store parts is on the truck  :)  but, as I take off parts, have parts re worked/ finished (ie. extra distributor, carb, regulators etc.) anyone have tips or opinions on how or where to store them? i have some parts in my shop  in storage bins to keep the mice out post-6005-0-31194000-1449370717_thumb.jpg but i wonder if i should, oil or grease things first, put something to absorb the moisture in the containers...... 

we live in the pacific northwest and it can get damp. i don't have a large house to store to many things inside, but i keep gauges and scripts inside    post-6005-0-05903400-1449370714_thumb.jpg

also wonder what the best way to store; glass, vertical or horizontal. exposed engine (like a crank) and transmission parts

And keep the loose items separate because they tend to breed. I'm rebuilding a 4 door sedan, but I now have about 10 doors in storage!

Seriously though, I find it works well to spray unpainted metal or things that will corrode with WD40 and wrap them in clingwrap plastic. Other items I just wrap without the WD40, such as seats or gauges and things with small holes that I don't want blocked by spiders or wasps building mud nests inside.It keeps dust and insects out, costs very little and makes handling grubby items a breeze. It also makes it easy to treat several items as one when they're all wrapped together. You can put all your brake parts inside the drum, wrap it up and all items are together and not lost. It won't keep out a determined rodent but not much else would get in.

Regards,

Martyn

• Like 1

I think it best that you buy another truck Brent and just install those parts on that truck rather than putting them into storage  :D

What are you trying to do, get me divorced? I promised no more trucks this year! (So glad the year is almost over :D  )

And keep the loose items separate because they tend to breed. I'm rebuilding a 4 door sedan, but I now have about 10 doors in storage!

Seriously though, I find it works well to spray unpainted metal or things that will corrode with WD40 and wrap them in clingwrap plastic. Other items I just wrap without the WD40, such as seats or gauges and things with small holes that I don't want blocked by spiders or wasps building mud nests inside.It keeps dust and insects out, costs very little and makes handling grubby items a breeze. It also makes it easy to treat several items as one when they're all wrapped together. You can put all your brake parts inside the drum, wrap it up and all items are together and not lost. It won't keep out a determined rodent but not much else would get in.

Regards,

Martyn

Ingenious! So glad I asked, that will be perfect, and will hide the smell when I sneak them into the house :)

Edited by Brent B3B
  • Like 1

It is best to store glass vertically ... just look into any glass shop. Looks like you are labelling things and that is good. I like PB Blaster Corrosion Stop for bare metal items that may sit for a while before you get back to them.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Thanks for the confrontation on the glass. I was second guessing because i wasn't sure how they stored laminated glass, and I thought over time they might separate...

Hey, Hey, Hey! What is all this talk about rust amnesty, today's' buzz is "green" , nature knows best!

To funny, Mr. Perseveration..... Some day you'll thank me when you're looking for replacement parts

my plan is to stack bed panels, running boards, & other sheet metal with surface rust outdoors as I work on the powertrain, brakes, frame, etc. indoors.  Every truck I have has been sitting outside for decades, a few more months in the elements ain't gonna hurt'm.  I've got plenty of space outside to stack sheet metal, as long as I keep the stacks below knee level, off of the ground, boards in between to let air pass thru, pitched so that water drains off of them (even condensation), and weighed down so that the stacks don't become projectiles.  I had smaller parts on shelves, but bugs & rodents would besmirch my organizing skills so I upgraded to the Rubbermaid tubs from HD...an added benefit to keeping things clean, it allows me to pull a tub anytime and make an inventory list to leave in the tub for future reference, which cuts down on the hunting and allows for more time to actually be productive.  The extra cab corner glass I have is wrapped in bubble-wrap and stacked in one of those tubs out of harm's way.  Flat glass I have stacked upright and in a corner of my attic, with some other sheet metal that had been stripped but not painted by previous owners.  I had seen machine shops stack crankshafts on end, as well as heads & engine blocks, but I've heard this may be a problem if done for an extended period.  Definitely spray some lubricant on exposed machine surfaces and keep as dry as possible.  Did I mention all of the old butter tubs I kept over the years?  They are excellent for compartmentalizing nuts & bolts for sub-assemblies, can be taped shut and labeled for future re-assembly :cool:

• Like 2

my plan is to stack bed panels, running boards, & other sheet metal with surface rust outdoors as I work on the powertrain, brakes, frame, etc. indoors. Every truck I have has been sitting outside for decades, a few more months in the elements ain't gonna hurt'm. I've got plenty of space outside to stack sheet metal, as long as I keep the stacks below knee level, off of the ground, boards in between to let air pass thru, pitched so that water drains off of them (even condensation), and weighed down so that the stacks don't become projectiles. I had smaller parts on shelves, but bugs & rodents would besmirch my organizing skills so I upgraded to the Rubbermaid tubs from HD...an added benefit to keeping things clean, it allows me to pull a tub anytime and make an inventory list to leave in the tub for future reference, which cuts down on the hunting and allows for more time to actually be productive. The extra cab corner glass I have is wrapped in bubble-wrap and stacked in one of those tubs out of harm's way. Flat glass I have stacked upright and in a corner of my attic, with some other sheet metal that had been stripped but not painted by previous owners. I had seen machine shops stack crankshafts on end, as well as heads & engine blocks, but I've heard this may be a problem if done for an extended period. Definitely spray some lubricant on exposed machine surfaces and keep as dry as possible. Did I mention all of the old butter tubs I kept over the years? They are excellent for compartmentalizing nuts & bolts for sub-assemblies, can be taped shut and labeled for future re-assembly :cool:

Dang your setup sounds like mine with the Rubbermaid tubs and bubble wrapped glass in the loft....

What do you do about the hood? Store flat upside down, together, stand on end or take it apart and hang it? What about seats?

Edited by Brent B3B

ALWAYS worry about what you "preserve" with...lots of rust inhibitors will totally mess with paint later!

What did/ do you use? (Besides a heated garage floor ) do you polish chrome or clean anything before you store it?

I  WD40 all my extra pot metal chrome or leave wax on it for storage then store it in plastc bags.

On the cars in my no heat garage I apply wax with out wiping it off on the cars pot metal pieces.

I wipe it off in the spring when taking the cars out for the 1st time. Die cast chrome is so sensitive to corrosion.

All my extra parts that I feel need it I coat them with "Fluid Film"

• Like 2

the hood can go atop the bed panels stacked flat & weighed down; the seat frame and cushions will go up into the attic...I have a stripped hood in pieces stacked flat in the attic as well with several bed fenders & radiators and old fuel & brake lines :cool:

• Like 1

Another tip:

My garage is extremely hot as It gets sun most of the day. I fitted a solar powered exhaust fan (approx 12 inches in diameter - 300mm). That was just to keep the heat down, but I've found it also keeps surface corrosion to almost negligible levels. I live within sight of the ocean so rust and salt air are major issues, but I have bare metal on my FC sedan that's been exposed for over 2 years with nary a sign of oxidising.  :)

• Like 2

What did/ do you use? (Besides a heated garage floor ) do you polish chrome or clean anything before you store it?

for parts I painted I used a degreaser and then used phosphoric acid with a rinse and dry, then right to paint/primer.  All the other parts I have are stored as found.

• Like 1