Oil Filter Question

epix1718

Working on getting my 42 back on the road, drained all the fluids yet needing to find a suitable oil filter.  It appears I have the old style "throwaway" canister of which is no longer available.  What would be my options for replacing this setup?  

uYJquys.jpg?2

Any canister filter will work, some are a complete throwaway, some with a throwaway element.....being a hotrodder I used a beehive filter that uses the throwaway element........andyd

post-612-0-18639800-1448830351_thumb.jpg

A forum search will net a lot of opinions on filter solutions as this has been discussed many times.

However you have a problem that requires your full attention. Do not let the coolant fluid set in the spark plug cavities. The smallest leak given time will result in possible irreparable engine failure. Use a shop vacuum or other resource's to eliminate this liquid now.

• Like 1

A forum search will net a lot of opinions on filter solutions as this has been discussed many times.

However you have a problem that requires your full attention. Do not let the coolant fluid set in the spark plug cavities. The smallest leak given time will result in possible irreparable engine failure. Use a shop vacuum or other resource's to eliminate this liquid now.

Thanks for the info!  Cracked the original hose while removing the anti-freeze, Just soaked up the excess with some rags.

Replacement filters of that type are available online at times, but usually pricey. I replaced mine with a canister style, paid about $35.00  for it, it takes a napa drop in filter, around $8-$10 bucks. Just have to make sure to route lines properly. I had to reverse mine. Depends on canister. Mine even had brackets that bolted to original strap mount holes in block..Also must make sure gasket for top is on properly, guess how I know. Because they are not full flow filters, may not think it will leak a lot, don't find out.