Gyromatic transmission swap

Bluebell7727

Explain top loader.  Is this aa truck trans that shifts through a floor shifter?  If so that unit is unsynchronized.

Not true. The truck 3spds are synchro in 2-3 just like a car. Its the 4 speeds that aren't until later in the 50s. I think it would be a lot easier however to swap in a pre 39 car trans though.

The one truck I drove that had a three speed needed double clutching on both up and down shift.  perhaps it was a faulty unit.  Or maybe it was a 4 speed and I just used 2nd third and fourth, knowing 1st was unnecessary for an unloaded truck.

usually in the transformation FD to stock style from another car is the cross member that is part of the frame...it is but one item to address..some have made extensions for the mounts...then you have the linkage itself to fit to the new position of the tranny in reference to the stock shifter...again..nothing that is not how one would say hard..but makes it less than a bolt in

There is no torque converter in the factory setup. There is a fluid drive assembly and a transmission, two different things. Do you have a bell housing and flywheel/clutch assembly with your potential replacement transmission? As Tim mentioned the frame cross member most likely will need to be relocated.

The fluid drive unit (go to all par and search fluid drive) was deeper leading to a longer bellhousing, there by needing a longer input shaft.  If the truck had fluid drive (some of them did) then things would match up except that the truck bellhousing bolts to the frame and carries the brake and clutch linkage.  Not so the car, as mentioned above the car bell mounts to the cross member.  Do you have your flywheel?

Well guess im ,going to have to do some reading on the fluid drive, and the difference between the the transmissions as far as what can be changed or swapped out for the other.. thank you for your time and if u have anything else on this subject I would be appreciative for any info

a factory repair book would be a world of help to you right now...if you have one...read it a couple times and get familiar..if you do not have one, you should really consider the purchase..you will need it for tons of other things as all this is going to interact with many other components of the car and again, you should have an understanding of this interrelationship...

Don't forget that the Gyromatic had anti-stall solenoids on the carburetor that gave a little squirt of fuel between shifts so the engine would not stall.  You'll have to disable that solenoid or else the carb will dump extra fuel into the engine until your muffler explodes in a giant fireball of extra fuel.  As an young-dumb 18 year old I swapped the gyromatic for a 3 speed (from a dodge pickup I think) on my 1950 DeSoto and neglected the wires.  After the muffler blew it took about 10 minutes for my hearing to return and my heart rate to get back to normal.

The fluid drive trucks came out after the 39-47s. The truck bellhousing will bolt to the flathead fine but is very different in how it mounts in the vehicle. Mounting the truck trans to a car bellhousing is also an issue even if you get a non fluid drive housing.

Well I've found a gyromatic over in Arkansas,im headed over there in the morning, hopefully I can purchase it and and take my coroner back to stock.... I think it will be easier to do than trying to do a truck trans swap...oh im also ordering a shop manual for my car ...thank you guys for all your insight

Well I've found a gyromatic over in Arkansas,im headed over there in the morning, hopefully I can purchase it and and take my coronet back to stock.... I think ift will be easier to do than trying to do a truck trans swap...oh im also ordering a shop manual for my car ...thank you guys for all your insight

Make sure the new M-6 Gyro-Matic is exactly the same.

There are 3 different extension case styles.

The model # and year of car it came out of is stamped on the main case next to the shifter cover.