Welcome to the Pilothouse forum...

Guest P15-D24

Being new to Mopar, would someone please tell me what Pilot-House means? Thanks, Routevandon

it was a marketing thing....the cab gives you the all around view like the pilot house of a boat.

Edited by ggdad1951

• 3 months later...

Hello All,

I just bought a Dodge truck and have begun the disassembly process. I intend to break it down to a rolling chassis and start building it back up. I'm not a body guy or mechanic, just a middle-aged fart that likes to tinker with stuff.

Here's a picture of it being unloaded from the delivery truck: http://imageshack.us/a/img521/1359/b2cz.jpg

Truck was advertised as a 1948 D-100 but the serial number from the frame identifies it as a 1950 B2C, and the engine serial number and block casting date is from 1959.

I do have a question for the group. The front emblems attached to the hood are different from any I have seen in books and pictures. Every picture shows "Dodge" emblems here. However mine actually seem to be original. They've clearly been in place for a long time, and there are no mounting holes (filled in or otherwise) where a previous emblem had been removed - unless of course my emblems fit the "Dodge" emblem holes perfectly. I'm posting a picture here: http://imageshack.us/a/img5/3866/b2cemblem.jpg. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

- Jeff from Maryland

Any chance its a Fargo? The side emblem kinda reminds me of the globe ornaments the Fargo used. However I would suspect a Fargo would just say Fargo in place of Dodge on the hood.

not that familiar with the trucks but that looks out of place for that vehicle..believe dodge script goes there instead and of course the other two holes look like someone mounted running /cowl light there maybe form a previous model truck

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Nice find and welcome. What kind of shape is the engine in? Before you begin disassembly you might want to get it running and drive it for a while. This will give you a good "feel" of what you have and how you like driving it. Doing a frame off is a very major undertaking. You might want to do one step at a time so you can continue driving it this summer. No matter what direction you go you will find help and encouragment here. Keep in mind that failure is not an option.

Welcome: When you finish a restoration of any kind and put it back on the road, few ask how long it took. Try chat in the evening when you have a question. If Plymouthy is not hunting dillas, Don C is not out on the road, Mark D is not in Italy, Ed is not painting, etc., one of them and others who are knowledgeable will be happy to assist and at times even disagree with each other. But whatever you do, get a good service manual, believe me it will never get dusty although it may be greasy.

Me painting????

Welcome: When you finish a restoration of any kind and put it back on the road, few ask how long it took. Try chat in the evening when you have a question. If Plymouthy is not hunting dillas, Don C is not out on the road, Mark D is not in Italy, Ed is not painting, etc., one of them and others who are knowledgeable will be happy to assist and at times even disagree with each other. But whatever you do, get a good service manual, believe me it will never get dusty although it may be greasy.

nothing wrong with disagreement on things...especially in some shop techniques and modification to upgrade the vehicles....it is the stooping to name calling and other slinging of mud that takes away form the forum...but either way, usually the cat will get skinned..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Welcome, Nice truck.

I'd agree those don' t look at all correct for these trucks, even a Fargo.  I pic from the inside might help.  There should be 3 holes for the "DODGE" hood emblem, maybe they found something that mated up with the same hole pattern?

Thanks All for your input. Regarding the Fargo question, I've been poking around and - while anything is possible - I don't think that's what I have. As mentioned I got the serial number from the frame and looked it up; it says I have a B2C made at the California plant. Also it looks like the Fargos have other markings identifying them as such (tailgate, etc.)

At this point I supposed it's possible that the guy I bought it from put Fargo fenders on it..? But even then I'm having trouble finding a Fargo with that emblem.

If I get a chance I'll post a picture from the backside but as mentioned there's no clue of any other/previous holes. However these emblems got there, they've been there a long time!

- Jeff

Nice looking truck, what's under the hood ? I agree, If it's running,  drive  it  enjoy it and see what you want to do to it.

Hi All,

Well I think the mystery is solved thanks to Plymouthy. There are three holes in the hood as he says, and the bolts for the odd-looking emblems I have fit perfectly into the two outermost holes with the middle one not used. Must've been that way for many many years as the bolts were rusted & dirty and used the square washers that I'm finding everywhere else.

I know this is a "welcome" thread so I will post future questions and comments separately. Guess I will update my display name too so it uses my name instead of userid - think I'll go with "Fowl Jeff". Still getting my feet under me here.

Oh yea, about driving the truck first. Well it's true what they say about pictures & eBay: the reality is never as good as they make it look and sound. Although we (I have a mechanic brother) got the engine started, we had to shut it down quickly and disconnect the battery because there was an electrical short under the dashboard and it started smoking pretty good. Also most of the body parts were loose and flopping around - there were just 1-2 bolts holding things together.

About the engine. Well I located the serial number using a guide posted on the (older ".org") Dodge Pilothouse Truck Club site, and also found the block casting date using Don Bunn's excellent book. The engine is a 1959 flathead 6 - a little larger than the original one installed in my B2C. Once I have the body & cab removed I will lean on my brother to give it a good once-over; he owes me 'cause I built him a chimney last year (I used to be a mason).

At this point I have the rear fenders and bed removed down to the frame and am starting on the front. I'm going kind of slow, taking pictures and labeling everything. Doing a lot of reading and studying. I'm not in a huge hurry; I figure this will take me several years. I will post future questions under separate threads.

Nice to "meet" everyone!

- Jeff Fowler

A I suspected, they found something that fit for hood emblems to give it some "bling".

I'd suggest a "build" thread.  That way all your stuff is under one place for your build.  Search for other threads that have the same questions you have, and add on to them if you can/you might find your answer there.  Otherwise asking a question is NEVER a bad idea IMO. 

Edited by ggdad1951

Agreed on a build thread. You could also see if  moderator could help you move these posts to it.

A I suspected, they found something that fit for hood emblems to give it some "bling".

I'd suggest a "build" thread.  That way all your stuff is under one place for your build.  Search for other threads that have the same questions you have, and add on to them if you can/you might find your answer there.  Otherwise asking a question is NEVER a bad idea IMO. 

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Jeff. Take your time and enjoy the build ahead.

The hood emblems fitted to your truck do look like early Fargo ones. 'Bling' for that area looks something like attached photo. I bought another Fargo during the week so will have to update that photo!

post-3915-0-64173100-1370638411_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello all!

This is my first post and thought I would introduce myself..and more importantly, my truck.

It (ok, she) is a 52 11/2 ton stake bed. I bought her a little under a year ago a few miles from my home I built  a new bed, tarted up the body a bit and put on 6  new tires ($ gulp) the interior is original and in very good condition. She drives well, and its used daily for both work and pleasure (in fact its my only vehicle now). The only major drawback it has a chevy small block. The trans is a 4 speed with overdrive..not sure if its chevy or Dodge. 

post-5500-0-65935000-1376451526_thumb.jpg

you can find more picts  Via The Hamb ( http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=36446 )  need to take some more current pictures.

I live in the San Francisco/ East Bay Area and look for ward to chatting with you all.

cheers

samuel

Hey - Hello - Howdy !    

I'm  REALLY glad to have found this site !   About a month ago we bought 1948 Dodge B1B -108. I've been surfing this site prepping to get her back on the road. Great info, eventually I'd like to see if any other owners are in range (So. Cal.) to compare notes.  This is our (my son & I) first resto project. I am a licensed Electrician by trade, but only a beginner mechanic. I think ours is a great find - patina, but no heavy rust anywhere, straight body, straight & uncut frame. Engine, drivetrain, accessories mostly all there.  Only bummer -  the truck sat outside in a field or under a tree for the last umpteen years and became a buried rat / rodent nest/toilet. The rats ate up all the wiring and hoses, the battery's gone. The previous owner taped screen and a plastic bag over the top of the open carb - so hopefully that wasn't infiltrated.  So far all I've done was replace two of the LT 7.50-16 tires with LT 215/85R/16 radials to get it rolling. Looking forward to moving in 2-3 weeks to a house where we can work on her freely and regularly. Then we can start posting pics! Looking forward to hitting you up for info

• Like 1