Welcome to the Pilothouse forum...

Guest P15-D24

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I've recently bought a 48 Pilothouse, and shipped it to the UK, I know very little about the engine (Flathead) but think I should start by assessing wether or not its worth rebuilding. It's currently locked up, believed to be from being sat for a long time.

Initial inspection is, it generally looks complete, plugs are loose, presume someones had a play prior to me buying it, fan belt is old, but far from perished/hard, that would suggest it might have been turning in the last few years.

I would like to think its worth saving, and if it is, are the parts available to rebuild, and where's the best place to go?

I'll stop asking questions now, I have many more to ask, but don't want to 'overkill' early on.

Many thanks in advance, 

Jon

Hi everyone,

I've recently bought a 48 Pilothouse, and shipped it to the UK, I know very little about the engine (Flathead) but think I should start by assessing wether or not its worth rebuilding. It's currently locked up, believed to be from being sat for a long time.

Initial inspection is, it generally looks complete, plugs are loose, presume someones had a play prior to me buying it, fan belt is old, but far from perished/hard, that would suggest it might have been turning in the last few years.

I would like to think its worth saving, and if it is, are the parts available to rebuild, and where's the best place to go?

I'll stop asking questions now, I have many more to ask, but don't want to 'overkill' early on.

Many thanks in advance, 

Jon

Jon, I suggest starting a thread on your truck and let the creative juices flow!  Welcome!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

New member with a new first project. Picked up a 48 b-1 for (what I believe) was a steal. Body was mostly straight in great shape, minus the standard dented passenger fenders. Thinking they should have had mirrors on both sides? Everything under hood was complete, maybe dry seized but hoping some diesel and patience will fix that. Looking forward to restoring this and counting on you guys for help

New member with a new first project. Picked up a 48 b-1 for (what I believe) was a steal. Body was mostly straight in great shape, minus the standard dented passenger fenders. Thinking they should have had mirrors on both sides? Everything under hood was complete, maybe dry seized but hoping some diesel and patience will fix that. Looking forward to restoring this and counting on you guys for help

Welcome to the community!

Fillers are porous and will wick moisture through to the surface.  Beat the dings and dents out if you want patina and leave it at that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am working on a 54 Dodge C series pickup. The cab is in pretty good shape as far as floor and structure. My Dad bought this truck from the original owner almost 35 yrs ago. At that time it had the Flathead 6 in it yet. We used it for a backup service truck until the rods started knocking. At that time we swapped the motor for a Buick 340 with a 2 Speed powerlines trans.

This worked OK but the low rear end ratio had the motor screaming. Wasn't long after that a brake line rusted into. It then sat in one place or another for the next 30 years.

Now I have it at my house and am working toward a Dakota frame swap and 360 motor transplant.

I have been doing ALOT of reading on this forum and also the Jalopy Journal. It seems that there are not a lot of people are working or driving the 54 trucks. Are these not a desirable truck?

That said, I now have the old frame with the Buick motor and trans listed for sale in the classified section. And I will need to either reshape or replace the passenger side door, replace the foggy glass windshield, and repair or replace the tailgate the the original owner had cut a hole in to be able to unload grain from the box.

When we bought this truck it came with a stock rack so the owner could haul cattle or pigs to market. That has rotted away but would be cool to replicate.

This forum is focused or has been on the Pilot-House series. Recently it has Ben changed to be flathead inclusive, so now the later trucks are starting to show up.

• Like 1

Is this not a Pilothouse truck. Everybody either has a 53 or a 55. Are the 54's just that hard to find or are they not a desirable truck to have?

post-8225-0-71982500-1436787113_thumb.jpg

post-8225-0-53286300-1436787131_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Pilot House era was '48 - '53, '54 - '56 was the Functional Design era. While not having as catchy of a name, still a desirable truck with features not found on the Pilothouse, the wrap around windshield for one. If you like the looks of the truck and will enjoy working on it and driving it, it's very desirable. In a lot of ways, it looks more proportionally correct ( to me )than the Pilothouse. Yours has the corner windows in it, big plus, again. I'm personally not fond of the shape of the grille opening and center bars and I'd probably change it if it were mine, but that's me. They're really the start of the newer, sleeker, modern looking truck body styles.

There are several members here with this era truck, probably more who lurk. You and your truck are very welcome here. Feel free to participate in the posts, chat sessions which pop up, usually evenings or sometimes early mornings and there is a search function that will get you a lot of answers also.

• 2 months later...

Hey I just picked up a 51 1/2 ton. I've never done one of these old trucks. I've done plenty of 66-70 B-bodys so this is new. The truck Is in good shape, straight and no rust...however the starter is broken. The "plunger" mounts are broken off. Will this work on my truck?  Plans are to get this running and driving until I get the "new" driveline together. Probably a boosted big or small block mopar. I want to do a semi-gasser look.

http://p15-d24.com/store/product/29-truck-starter/

post-8485-0-91872400-1442325950_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Excited to join the forum to provide assistance and ask for advice as needed. I recently acquired a family hand-down. My uncle gave me a 1948 Dodge Pilot House Truck that has been stored in his garage since 1977. He purchased it used in 1970 & drove it until he backed her in the garage. Thirty Eight years later, she came out and moved to her new home. I have started the search for parts, looks like I will need a few. I remember driving this old girl when I was 16 (Long time ago). I put a battery in it the night before and she cranked over with a sputter and I stopped. The gas tank & fuel pump is out. Veryfying the engine isn't locked up. Full steam ahead on a full restoration. I expect this project will take a couple years. I don't retire until the end of next year. Then she can get full attention. Enjoy a couple photos. Later!post-8604-0-78564700-1445527248_thumb.jpgpost-8604-0-45179600-1445527486_thumb.jpgpost-8604-0-99565700-1445527513_thumb.jpgpost-8604-0-12136700-1445527604_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Excited to join the forum to provide assistance and ask for advice as needed. I recently acquired a family hand-down. My uncle gave me a 1948 Dodge Pilot House Truck that has been stored in his garage since 1977. He purchased it used in 1970 & drove it until he backed her in the garage. Thirty Eight years later, she came out and moved to her new home. I have started the search for parts, looks like I will need a few. I remember driving this old girl when I was 16 (Long time ago). I put a battery in it the night before and she cranked over with a sputter and I stopped. The gas tank & fuel pump is out. Veryfying the engine isn't locked up. Full steam ahead on a full restoration. I expect this project will take a couple years. I don't retire until the end of next year. Then she can get full attention. Enjoy a couple photos. Later!attachicon.gif1948 Dodge Pilothouse Truck 1.JPGattachicon.gif1948 Dodge Pilothouse Truck 3.JPGattachicon.gif1948 Dodge Pilothouse Truck 4.JPGattachicon.gif1948 Dodge Pilothouse Truck 5.JPG

welcome, looks like an awesome start for a resto project!  You've already got the hard to find lower grill bar in great shape!

• 2 months later...

Anyone have a complete 1953 Dodge 2 to 4 ton 377 CID Truck engine Combo Molly Block 4 sale ? charlesj123@msn.com

• 2 months later...

Hey people, I'm sorry if this post has already appeared,but I did not see it when looking for a response, so here goes: I have a 1952 B3B, which was partially disassembled when purchased, so we are having a little bit of trouble figuring out how to position all the small pieces around the fenders and behind the grill. Any of you have any pics that would help me? or perhaps an inexpensive resource showing how it goes together? Thanks in advance, Dave Charles at djcharles@centurylink.net

Bill,

"Has anyone had a coil blow up and start burning ?"

I'm assuming that you have a "Kettering" breaker-points type of system yet. If ign is left on for any length of time, the coil will heat up since, if the points are closed, it represents a dead short and the heat must go somewhere. If the points happened to be open, it wouldn't have done that.

I've done that occasionally but never had one actually explode, but it's obviously possible! Sounds dangerous. The typical coil is oil-filled and fancier (read "more expensive") ones are epoxy. You may have come back to a smoldering pile of ashes.

You should check those points.....they may be cooked.

Frank

Edited by VFFFrank

• 1 month later...

Today all I need is for a B 3 YA 58" wide seat complete.   One steering wheel and a drivers door.

Best Regards,

Charles Stephenson

Des Moines, IA. 50310-2660 USA

1-515-276-7877

charlesj123@msn.com