Oil pressure relief valve spring

Conn47D24
Go to solution Solved by Conn47D24,

the procedure is to replace the spring with spring of same color should the original be unable to pass the compression test and may otherwise be damaged....there is also a blue spring that is for the hy-drive equipped cars..

red is light

green is heavy

unpainted is medium

blue is hy-drive

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 2

"In the P15 Parts List manual, page 174, is a drawing illustrating a standard installation. The Plymouth Service Manual ('46-'54) on page 153 provides an explanation of how the filter works. When the oil pressure relief valve is closed the oil pump fills the oil line and oil filter. The relief valve blocks oil flow FROM the filter to the crankcase. When the oil pressure is greater than relief valve spring tension, the valve starts to open. Excess (clean) oil then returns form the filter to crankcase. The relief valve opens a passage for the oil to flow from the filter to crankcase. Because the filtering operation is dependent upon proper and timely operation of the oil pressure relief valve, the quantity of oil cleaned is substantially less when compared to a modern full flow filter. The size of the oil line is approximately 25% of what is found on a modern filter so the volume of oil when the pressure relief valve is open is also much lower. While filtering may longer than a modern full flow spin on filter, the level of filtering is much higher than a full flow. Because of this they provide excellent protection for your engine's components."

Quoted from the tech side of this website.

I would have to guess that the different springs allow for the oil pressure relief valve to open at the correct time depending on the pressure as determined by the condition (i.e. compression, oil pressure etc.) of your specific motor.

I am a parts guy not a mechanic......

• Like 2

I got the correct, green spring (about 40-45 lbs) for my B4B from Vintage Power Wagon.  This is after getting two incorrect springs, on two different occasions, from a different trusted vendor.  I would call Vintage Power Wagon and ask for their advice.  They know what they are selling you and they will want to know what style of piston the spring fits with in your engine.

• Like 2

I got the correct, green spring (about 40-45 lbs) for my B4B from Vintage Power Wagon.  This is after getting two incorrect springs, on two different occasions, from a different trusted vendor.  I would call Vintage Power Wagon and ask for their advice.  They know what they are selling you and they will want to know what style of piston the spring fits with in your engine.

Did you by chance measure the replacement spring you installed? I do understand all springs could be the same length but winding resistance different but I am curious as to the length. 

brknsprg.jpg

brknsprglong.jpg

I had the measurements somewhere, which is why I cannot find it now. 

I do remember the folks at VPW asking what type of piston the spring would work in conjunction with.  They told me the piston type (1/2" or 5/8" diameter) is what determines the spring type (you can see that on their website, too).  After that, the oil pressure required is dependent upon the tension of the spring.  Therefore, for any particular piston, all of its springs would have the same dimensions.  40-45 lbs is the green spring.

Let me know if you need the spring length and if I get home early enough tomorrow, I can pull mine and measure it (fenders are off truck, so it won't take too long).

• Like 1

I just fixed my low oil pressure on my rebuilt engine this evening. Turns out the new relief spring from Andy's was half an inch shorter when I compared it the the original spring. I put the original in and all kinds of oil pressure. So my bearings weren't getting the oil they should of. I'm sure my engine is damaged now.

I also ordered a fuel flex line from the frame to fuel pump, wrong.

I also ordered a clutch fork return spring, wrong. It was some tiny spring that would never hold a clutch fork back. It was like a half inch long, tiny and little tension.

The heat riser kit I ordered is junk. The spring operates backwards so it won't come out of the cold position. Spring gets gets more tension in it the hotter it gets.

I will never buy anything from Andy Bernbaum's.

Oh and the throw out bearing I got from them makes noise. Fortunately I have Gyromatic so I don't use the clutch often.

Use Mopar springs if you can or the original spring.

Earl

Edited by mopar_earl
  • Like 1

OK, got some photos of the oil pressure spring and the piston from my B4B, 218.  My truck has its original engine this is the original oil pressure piston, the spring is from VPW.  Now if I can only get the photos on this post...

post-2050-0-08320100-1447794678_thumb.jpg

post-2050-0-52603000-1447794695_thumb.jpg

post-2050-0-84186300-1447794719_thumb.jpg

post-2050-0-47117900-1447794737_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Here is an assortment of different OIL PRESSURE SPRINGS

The correct spring for 1946 -1948 P15 Plymouths are

#1119994 standard (plain metal)

#1119995 light duty (painted red)

#1119996 Heavy Duty (painted Green)

Same length different tension.

Below are an assortment of Oil pressure springs,

Different lengths

Different colors

Easy to get the wrong one

Left to Right

Left 1 7/8" long

2nd from Left1 13/16"

3rd from left 1 3/4" long

far right 1 11/16" long

All springs are NOS new unused old stock...

post-153-0-10586500-1447881933_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-51730000-1447881958_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roadkingcoupe
  • Like 1

ROADKING-

Could you measure the diameter and length of each spring variation?

Outside Dia. appears to be the same with length and wire size variation?

My semi rebuilt ( all new bearings) motor drops oil pressure cold (48Lb.) to hot (8lb.--10lb.) which repair manual says is OK but with newer multi-viscosity motors should help with this drop.

My relief spring was from a different motor as mine had none when purchased.

Considering a new NOS spring purchase to give a try.

Thanks,

DJ

• Like 1

ROADKING-

Could you measure the diameter and length of each spring variation?

The shortest is 1 7/16", then 1 1/2", 1 11/16", 1 3/4" and 1 7/8"

All are just under a 1/2" call it 7/16"

Edited by Roadkingcoupe
  • Like 2

Interesting - I had the same experience with a "trusted vendor". The replacement spring was too short so I put the old one back in.  I will check your suggested supplier.