Gas tank drain plug leaking

iowa51

Put the '51 convertible away for the winter yesterday after filling the tank with gas. Today noticed a strong gas smell in my detached garage and saw a wet spot under the gas tank and a drip of gas hanging from the drain plug. The only thing I did was drive to the gas station and back and it wasn't leaking before and the car is parked in the same spot.

Crawled under and took a closer look, the plug looks like it takes an oversized Torx or star bit to tighten. I didn't think they had Torx bits back in the early 50s so is there a certain size wrench/bit that I need to use? Hoping it just needs tightening or else I will need to drain a full tank of gas. 

I had a leak from the fuel sender gasket on top of the tank after filling up all the way. The overflow came down and dripped off the low parts of the tank.

I also have experienced a leak from the drain plug after fooling with it. After trying all sorts of things to tighten it I found, as DonaldSmith suggests, that a square 1/2 inch drive fit those funny corners perfectly.

Iowa51,

If it still leaks at that point and you don't want to mess with it until next driving season, use a small bar of Ivory soap on the area. Just spread it around the area of the leak and smooth it in with you fingers. Gas will not eat through soap and I have used this method to stop leaks before. Just remember to fix it before driving on wet roads as water will dissolve the soap.

Joe

• Like 1

If you have a torx bolt then go to a harbor freight and pick up a small set of torex sockets they are cheap and since you will not be using them every day they will not break on you.  Good to have since all newer cars are using this type of screw head.

Have used mine numerous times so tighten rear view mirrors and other bolts that came lose.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

Had a leak in the gas tank but when I tightened the plug it got worse. With about 8 gallons of gas in the tank it was a some problem to drain it so that a new seal could be put on the plug. To drain the tank I loosened the plug enough to drain about 2 gallons at a time to address the problem.

This is the gas tank drain plug for 1949-54 MoPar cars....

Yep... as mentioned sometimes messing with these plugs they will leak !

post-302-0-12044900-1447031935_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-69439500-1447031990_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-26366600-1447032076_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Over a week later and it hasn't dripped since tightening it. 

I run an ethanol blend gas in my car and have replace anything rubber and related to the fuel system in the last 10 years or so, except the rubber gasket on the gas tank drain plug, Never thought to replace it but I am sure the ethanol has stated to eat that away too. Need to remember to run the tank way down next year and get it replaced.

• 5 years later...

I have a '52 cranbrook with the same drain plug. 

I tried a 1/2 in driver but it would just freely spin.

Tried a T70 torx and it was too small. 

Anyone have any advice? I am trying to drain out old fuel as the car has been sitting for 15 plus years. 

I checked the fuel pump and it is working.