Need a good idea.

post-227-0-00245100-1445633452_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-42277700-1445633409_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-83950100-1445633539_thumb.jpg

Pic 1 is the old rotor I use since 1987.It is loose.

Pic 3 is the new rotor I bought now(not PH original).It is loose too.

Rotor pic 1=rotor pic 3.Same measures.I was thinking to put a thin material to tight it in the shaft.

Fernando;

Over the years I have seen a few rotors stuck on over a piece of tin foil. At best it is a "make do" fix until you find the correct item. Maybe OK to limp home on.....definitely  not the right way to leave it. When you find the correct items it will fit properly.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.It was my first thinking.Tomorrow I will try if GMC fits too.

I know parts must be hard to find where you are, but why would you expect GMC parts to fit a Dodge?

I have a WWII GMC 1944 too.I was thinking both rotors are the same but I saw the keys inside are differents.

Fernando,

PM me your address I'll send you one (not brand new) but in good shape.

Hank :) 

You're going to need the letter code on the distributor to send him the correct rotor. Maybe that info is in another post somewhere but it's not in this one. I was thinking of doing the same but don't know which to send

You're going to need the letter code on the distributor to send him the correct rotor. Maybe that info is in another post somewhere but it's not in this one. I was thinking of doing the same but don't know which to send

I'm not really sure what all the part codes explain but will do some research unless anyone else has already done this. I'm getting my parts book out now. Of the three distributors I have (other than the one in my truck) the most obvious difference is the length of the shaft, however I have a theory that a 1/4 " spacer could be used between the base of the distributor casting and the mounting plate that will raise the disrributor up 1/4" and allow more than just the numbers correct distributor to be used. If I remember correctly the 1AT that my truck is running has a 5-1/4" long shaft (218-230 engines) and I've been told that the 5-1/2" shaft distributors are for the 265 cubic inch engines. It's a theory but I think there is plenty of lenght of the collar (the part that seats into the engine block) so that by use of the 1/4" spacer between the distributor and the mounting plate it just may be possible to use the distributor designed for the 265 on the 218-230 cu. in, engines.

3%20Red%20Tags_zpsteyssp4a.jpg

More to follow,

Hank  :)

Edited by HanksB3B

Hank;

You are correct the short shaft is for the 23 inch engine and the long shaft is for the 25 inch engine.

Of the distributors you listed the IAT 4003 is for a 1950 Dodge 23 inch engine.

IAT 4102 is not listed in my book

IAT 4012 is for a 51-53 Desoto 25 inch engine. If you want to part with this distributor I am interested.

MVC-002F.jpg

MVC-003F.jpg

Put the white ribbon in the shaft,rotor not loose now,put the rotor,put the cap,withdrew the six plugs,turned the pulley with hand.Did not listen knocking of rotor damaging my inside contacts cap.Withdrew the cap and look if rotor damaged the contacts.No.

Hank;

You are correct the short shaft is for the 23 inch engine and the long shaft is for the 25 inch engine.

Of the distributors you listed the IAT 4003 is for a 1950 Dodge 23 inch engine.

IAT 4102 is not listed in my book

IAT 4012 is for a 51-53 Desoto 25 inch engine. If you want to part with this distributor I am interested.

Don,

Seems I have two 1AT -4012. One that I have been through and the other one untouched.

The_to_1AT-4012_for_25_Block_zpsk9syiadi

X

DTPM-217%20Distributor_zps069suenn.jpg

X

Autolite_Dodge_Spec_zps9jajjqhh.png

X

Working on it..but offline 

Edited by HanksB3B

Don,

Seems I have two 1AT -4012. One that I have been through and the other one untouched.

The_to_1AT-4012_for_25_Block_zpsk9syiadi

X

DTPM-217%20Distributor_zps069suenn.jpg

X

Autolite_Dodge_Spec_zps9jajjqhh.png

X

Working on it..but offline 

P.S. Fernando...I got your back...will ship one or two (have both kinds) one in iffy shape Hey theres a metal clip inside yours right that could drop out. post a pic of the bottom of the rotors o.k.