DLK

I think I know what the consensus here will be but I will throw it out anyhow.:) In my size I can get four Chinese Kenda tires (Diamond Back M5)for $796. I can get four Toyo made in USA tires (Diamond Back II) for $936. The warranty is the same and I drive maybe 1200/yr max. Do I want to spend that much more for made in our USA? Even $796 plus delivery and mounting is not cheap. PM me if you rather not post here.

tough call and I know what you are up against...it is costly either way and well what one will hold up the longest in x span of time and little driving.  Given the time/mileage...and the consensus that many will rotate to new tires over x time frame...do the math on your expected driving mileage over x years of ownership and then make that call.  If you are one to replace due to age and not wear, you just made your own decision.

• Like 1

This is from their catalog for the Diamond Back II:

Toyo has one of America’s newest and
most modern facilities in White, GA. Most
sizes are built in the US but some sizes are

still built in other facilities.

Built in other facilities, to me, means some another country. Did you confirm the size(s) you need are Made in the USA?

If you want white walls good luck finding ones that the white walls do not turn yellow or brown.

The other big issue with todays old car replacement tires is  how long before they start cracking and checking even though they might only have 5000 miles on them.

Tubes... well thats another issue getting safe ones if you need them.

White, GA is also the site of one of the largest facilities of junked cars that are selling these units as rebuildable units....was there couple years ago...only got to see the perimeter...it was loaded with Dodge Pilothouse trucks and panels...have not been in the vicinity since. They had a solid complete Plymouth Suburban there also...I thought their prices were high but they making them available..that is the good thing...I have a number of photos of the cars I saw when there...I just happened by the place as I was in the area purchasing another larger item

Yes we won't say who that firm is!!!

I have a set of bias ply Cokers on my 40 dodge, very light weight tires. As someone mentioned the white developed cracks quickly. They will clean up with the standard white wall cleaner, but still have the weathered, cracked look.

I have a set of Diamondback wide whites on my Airflow. They are now about 5 years old and look new. Like don't recall the brand tire they started as, but they are much beefier and I'm quite happy with them.

Seems like the price was about the same.

But, since you're comparing Diamondback to Diamondback, I'm not sure if I'm helping.

I can say if my size is available, I prefer diamondback over Coker. Unfortunately, the next one I'll need is a 24" tire.

I have been looking at 215-75R15 radial wide whites at the Carlisle swap meet.  Both Coker and Universal

Tire have truckload displays with many varieties of tires on hand.   I like the B F Goodrich  2 1/2 inch white

stripe......being sold by Coker for about $258 each rather than their Coker Classic  for about $209.  

(Several years ago I bought some bias ply Coker Classics, which began bleeding brown thru the whitewall.

Traded them back to the sub jobber from whom I got them for Firestone branded tire and have had no

problem with anything with them.)

Have considered the new radial www tire that is narrow and looks like a bias ply tire.....but can't decide if

it will improve the road handling as well as the wider tread tire.  So, I think I will get the wider tire even

though it doesn't look as original as others.  It has a more "all season" tread design....but am wanting the

better handling qualities.   Ah well.......    

bfg-235-75-15-ww-10in_2.png

I've had one set of Cookers only and tossed them within two years. I have had several sets of Diamond Backs in various cars and not on yellowing issue.

Do not use whitewall cleaner. Spray Simple Green on a clean terry towel rag and wipe lightly at least once per month.

I'm running Michelin Diamond Backs with Whitewall and Beauty Rings on my 49.

Talk with Jim up there. He knows his stuff.

Agree, I have had Diamondback tubeless white walls on myFOR AT LEAST 5 years, no issues and I only use scotch rite and simple green to remove any dirt from the white area. No tire dressing used. Very pleased

Bought a set of Diamonds (hancook radials)  with wide whites from Jim about 2 1/2 years ago. Paid about 1,080. delivered. The white walls do need extra care

and the old wipe down with bleach doesn't cut it.

The 51 Coupe I just bought came with Coker radials & wide whites and they have more miles on them but not much difference as to time for care between them.

When its time to buy new rubber I'll go with the black wall and the Hancook goes down to 78.-88. a piece for the Diamond undressed tires. So for 400.00 with mounting and balancing the car won't know the difference but my back will from not having to clean the damn WW's!

400.00 beats 1,000. all day on a part time driver!

Edited by doctor dirt

I bought a pair of Diamond Backs in early 2008.  I've used only scotch-brite and simple green to clean them.  They have not yellowed or discolored at all but after 7 years and 15,000 miles they are checked.  The checking started about 9 months ago--still look good at 10 ft.

Here are my Diamond Backs from Dec. 2006.  $871 to my door.  A light spray of purple power and a Motor Home brush maybe twice a year. 

This car lives in the garage 95% of the time away from UV rays.  No cracking on the white or black rubber.  They look new still.

post-32-0-19330900-1444086434_thumb.jpg  post-32-0-92994000-1444086490_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reg Evans

Here are my Diamond Backs from Dec. 06.  $871 to my door.  A light spray if purple power and a Motor Home brush maybe twice a year. 

This car lives in the garage 95% of the time away from UV rays.  No cracking on the white or black rubber.  Look new still.

attachicon.gifMVC-001F.JPG  attachicon.gifMVC-002F.JPG

Reg, Did you sell a tea pot on E-bay a while back?

post-16-0-78222200-1444087033_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I purchased these Denman 8.20 X 15 tires in 1980...35 years old. Expensive tires..about $220.00 each back then.

I have three cars with them...all have shown no signs of deterioration. All bias ply.

No checking or cracking and never any yellowing. Maybe 8000 miles on them.

Goes to show even today they could make high quality long lasting antique car tires.

My old tires are safer than whats available today and certainly will last and look better far longer.

Spend a $800.00 to $1000.00 today on new WW tires to have tires cracked and unsafe after 5-6 years? I won't buy any. Bummer for sure.

Sad part is Denman and Lester are long gone. :( 

I'd buy their tires any day.

post-302-0-60387200-1444087040_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-89811400-1444087061_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It appears that the Old Diamond Backs that have no checking are bias belts--mine are radials could that be the reason my checked at in the rim area? Also I did not have a garage when I lived in Port Townsend WA 2008-2012 so maybe that's part of the problem