New Brakes

1oldtruck

Hello All,

I need to replace my front brakes in my 1948 B1 but nobody's catalogs go back far enough. I've checked the usual places such as O-Reilly and Napa and they cant figure out what would match. I want to buy new drums and a whole rebuild kit.

Any suggestions on what to ask for that would match?

Thanks, Matthew

You are dealing with an old truck. Why do you not want to send away for parts?

I prefer to purchase locally when ever I can. It is nice to see the part(s) before having to pay. And it is nice to keep local businesses in business.

With respect to your truck brakes, there is a good chance you can get the hydraulic parts locally but the drums may be much harder to source.

The parts book is your friend: There are an amazing number of parts you can find by keying the original Chrysler part number in to the interchange lookup on NAPA Online. Or you may find a modern equivalent part by looking up your vehicle on a site like Rock Auto and then you can get that part locally.

And take notes: It may be easier to cross the number you got 10 years ago to something available now than to cross a 50 or 60 year old number.

This is the reason I started my parts database, so I could easily get the parts that wear out in normal service at a local auto supply. If you know the Chrysler number and the part was also used on cars, it is possible my database could help you. http://www.ply33.com/Parts/numeric

• Like 1

I prefer to purchase locally when ever I can. It is nice to see the part(s) before having to pay. And it is nice to keep local businesses in business.

Good point Tod. I also like to deal locally to keep the local folks in business. But there are times where the local folks cannot produce.

Thanks. I don't want to send away for them. Does anyone know if there's more modern year that would work?

Hello and congratulations on your new old truck. .

Here's the guy you need if you live in Los Angeles (trust me, they are terrific) 

http://www.chtopping.com/Home/

Hank  :)

P.S. My truck is running great (should post the details in a new thread) I've had my truck for 34 of it 64 year old existence) Hope to meet up and see your truck somewhere sometime.

Edited by HanksB3B

It all depends on how you wish to use your truck.....and how authentic you want to keep it.

You asked if more modern parts will work......Yes..... I have 4 wheel disc brakes on my 52. It is a bit of work......but boy are they nice. Can the old brakes be brought up to snuff? Sure but everything has to be fitted and adjusted properly using the correct tools and procedures. Spend some time and read through the old threads here on this topic....then make your decision.

I too prefer to use local sources but it isn't always the best way to go. The quality of the parts offered by the big box stores varies and while some stuff is fine other parts they offer are not always up to the task. The specialty outfits like Roberts and VPW are often your best resource. They actually know these trucks and are in it for the long haul.

Jeff

. . . I too prefer to use local sources but it isn't always the best way to go. The quality of the parts offered by the big box stores varies and while some stuff is fine other parts they offer are not always up to the task. The specialty outfits like Roberts and VPW are often your best resource. They actually know these trucks and are in it for the long haul.

Jeff

I don't really consider the big box chains local even if they have a physical store in my area. I seek out the older independent places if at all possible. The more old paper parts books they have the better.

1oldtruck lists his location as "Los Angeles" which narrows things down to about a 100 mile radius which isn't really helpful when suggesting potential vendors to visit.

Back when I lived in the San Fernando Valley there was a brake supply someplace near the Burbank airport that was willing to work with me to find parts for my '33. Unfortunately they didn't have a source of 10"x1.5" drums. Had a bunch of 2" wide stuff though and they might actually be able to find a drum that could be fitted to the original hubs.

even the loal big box chain stores have the catalogs...it is only that so few will resource them..easier to look on a computer scfreen and say..sorry now can help...as I do a few mods here and there many of the parts I seek have no application to the car I have and the part I need is not sourced from another model..I will go to the big box and ask to look at the catalog and then make my selction from the specigfication and picture in the book.  They have them..if you ask they will normally make them available.   Just went through this last night with Advance..there is no application for my the part for my car by year and model but by part number I found by research and the then crossed link it to a brand name they listed and they ordered it in without having to prepay (nice to have a commercial account)

be proactive...ask to see the catalog..

ChTopping

ChTopping_zpsh5ctj3jp.png

They've been there...done that..me too....now it's up to you. If you want to stick to original for a time like me, I'd make sure to do your utmost to find drums that can be turned within spec. and shoes suitable for relining (they'll have shoes ready in a box)  Springs don't buy there. Cylinders I'd support Gary Roberts, VPW, or Bernbaum and a couple more of those guys..they are our "local stores" in a sense as they have served us Mopar Truck/Car guys for decades.  

It's worth the trip, but call first..

Hank  :)

Edited by HanksB3B

Seems to me that if you live near Robert's Motor Parts in MA, or Andy Bernbaum's. they would be considered "local".  Actually each is a local business, they just happen to be willing to ship the parts where/when you need them.  If you give them your business, they might still be there when you need them! 

• Like 1

Seems to me that if you live near Robert's Motor Parts in MA, or Andy Bernbaum's. they would be considered "local". Actually each is a local business, they just happen to be willing to ship the parts where/when you need them. If you give them your business, they might still be there when you need them!

Exactly. They sponsor our website. AutoZone doesn't know a Pilothouse from a hole in the wall. NAPA maybe but they have become pretty useless too. Buy your antifreeze from WhoCares but we need our guys VPW, Roberts and Bernbaum, Steel Rubber and others that are there for us Vintage Mopar guys

Hank

Edited by HanksB3B
  • Like 2