36 dodge smoking white and bad

" ... It runs really good but but there is a slight stutter off idle/starting from a dead stop. Also if you tap the gas rather quickly... " That sounds like the accelerator pump  isn't working . The passage way could easily be plugged up or it needs a new leather cup . To test : While looking down the carb , with the engine off , move the throttle a good long distance and watch for a healthy stream of gas to shoot into the center of the carb . 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Roberts said:

" ... It runs really good but but there is a slight stutter off idle/starting from a dead stop. Also if you tap the gas rather quickly... " That sounds like the accelerator pump  isn't working . The passage way could easily be plugged up or it needs a new leather cup . To test : While looking down the carb , with the engine off , move the throttle a good long distance and watch for a healthy stream of gas to shoot into the center of the carb . 

I did try something. I pulled the top of the carb off and inspected the accelerator pump and the leather is in good condition.

But when I worked the throttle I didn’t get a squirt into the carb. I also manually pushed down on the accelerator pump inside its chamber and I was met with resistance almost like pressure? Kind of like trying to push a full syringe with your finger over the end. Is that normal? It didn’t seem so. I thought I would be able to manually make it pump out but I could not.

The accelerator pump jet is probably plugged up. Remove the aluminum plug on the side of the carb bowl for easy access to clear it up. Tap the ugly back in.

Only other thing to cause no spray and resistance is a stuck pump outlet check ball. Not too common though.

• Thanks 2

I removed the plug for the accelerator pump jet and cleared it out. It was definitely not working before but is spraying nicely now. I really appreciate the help.

This should make the truck run much nicer now. Especially starting out from a stop. Should be like night and day. The accelerator pump was not spraying at all before. No wonder I was having so much trouble off idle. Sheesh.

In other news I installed a new bulb in the tail light and got the brake light to work right away. It sticks on a little bit should come out of that.

Technically in Oregon all I need is a brake light in order to drive the truck during the day. So really all I need now is a renewed registration and I can cruise it legally. 

The next thing to tackle is the fuel gauge, headlights and the driver door latch spring. After that is the amp gauge. Can you believe the charging system still works after sitting since ‘76!?! I checked the volts on the battery shut off and running and there is a one volt difference approximately when running. And for kicks I pulled both battery cables off for a sec when running and the truck continued to purr. I really dodged a bullet on that one for now at least. 

When I purchased this truck it was under the premise “ran when parked” as in operated normally. I’m finding a lot of that to be true and really work to my benefit.

The dimmer switch for the headlights is bad (not clicking) and I think that is causing the headlights to not work. It has a very old HAD switch. I can’t seem to source an exact replacement but I found a couple close matches on eBay.

Updates to follow as things progress. I have a two year old and and infant so progress is slower now days. I work on the little stuff at night after everyone is sleeping and big stuff during the day on the weekend during nap time. Basically if anything takes over two hours to fix it has to wait until the next night or the weekend.

Thanks  

Edited by '36 Glasstruck
More to add.
  • Like 1

Also if anyone has any questions about the truck or wants to see photos of something in particular to help their own process feel free to ask. The truck is almost completely original and almost all there, save for the spare tire so it’s kind of like a rolling database for 1936. And I’ve tried to source all nos or period correct parts for everything I’ve had to fix in order to keep it that way.

I’m not super knowledgeable on these but I’ve picked up some knowledge on the way. Having rebuilt the whole brake system and front end, I’m now pretty familiar with those systems for example.