Difficult to start

Allmyjunk

I'm new here and to owning a car older than my father but it's a 48 plymouth special deluxe coupe on 12 volts it started great but on six it seems as though it takes a lot of turning over to start warm or cold I have changed out the wires from the battery to sillonid and sillonid to starter with 0 guage and that helped but not as much as I had hoped new points plugs and wires. Soposidly the engne was rebuilt and not run very much sence 1987 (the year after i was born) any help would be greatly appreciated seems like you guys know these cars very well. I just really want to drive this thing reliably further than around the block.

You need to do a basic good tune up on your car.  Start by finding Top Dead center of cylinder #1 piston stroke.  There are several ways to do this but the easiest way is to pull the spark plugs, then have an assistant bump the starter till you feel compression build against your thumb when you hold it over #1 spark plug hole.  When you fell the pressure, you can then rotate the engine to TDC with the fan and belt to align the timing marks on the front pulley to TDC.  If no one has messed with your oil pump over the years the distributor rotor should be at 7 o;clock. Once you are at 31 TDC, you can remove the distributor so you can service it on the bench or gently chucked up in a vise. Replace the points and condersor or, remove the points, and dress their surfaces with a points file (Do not use sand paper as some of the grid may remain on the surface and then get welded in when the points go back to work.  If you don't have a file you can use some cardboard or some leather to clean the surfaces of the contacts.  While the points are out check that the spring has decent tension so that the points fully close.  Then properly set the point gap using a feeler gauge and assuring the breaker rubbing block is on a highpoint of the distributor cam. if there is a lubrication felt onthe points assembly give it a couple drops of light oil.Check and clean the other connections in the distributer.  There is a wire that goes from the terminal from the points to the points.  Check this wire carefully.  Assure the insulation is in good kit and that there are no frayed or broken wires at the connectors.  This wire is thin and it flexes constantly as the breaker plate goes through is advance and return cycles.  Also check that the breaker plate moves freely through the extent of its motion.  Also check that there is not excessive wear on the distributor shaft bearings and bushings.  You should be able to feel if they are worn excessively by wiggling the drive end of the shaft.  When finished reinsert the dist. assuring the rotor is pointed in the same direction it was in when you pulled it.  reconnect the wire to the points.  Check the interior of the dist cap looking for any obvious carbon tracks or cracks on the inside of the cap, and that the carbon center contact is in good condition. put the cap back on assuring it is fully seated on the dist body and firmly clipped on. Then install new spark plugs. connect the spark plug leads in proper firing order. You should now be able to start the car without excessive starter cranking time.  You can then set the running timing using a timing light or a vacuum gauge. 

also when attempting to start the engine, cold you should pull out the choke, pump the accelerator pedal once, then hold it slightly open while cranking the starter.  If it takes more than 30 seconds of cranking, you probably need to address some carb issues but do the above first, and report your progress.

As others have noted if it is mechanically "in shape" it should start right up. Check here for correct sequence. Make sure your choke is set up and working correctly. When everything is right they will very quickly start on 6 volts.

The correct sequence for starting definitely helps, so im pumping gas once amd counting to 30 or so hit the button and bam she's running. I did set the timeing for just baraly before tdc had to sand the ballencer to see tming marks though thank you very much for the help

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got the plymouth to start good on 6 volts the ground (positive ) was corded badly at the engine block I also cleaned up the strap that goes from the head to the firewall turns over 4-5 times and Is running no hoops to jump through just hit the button thanks for all of your help