Help! Stumped on P15 Standard Clutch Replacement

J.P.G.

I did, so sorry for not responding sooner. Many thanks, but the place I've sent the clutch assembly and disk also rebuilt my throwout bearing and installed a new pilot bushing.

I'm trying to put it all back together now, and can't get the flywheel to clear the bolts and bell housing. I'd hate to have to loosen all of the bell housing blots again, is there another way?

How did they replace the Pilot bushing did you send them the crank.  I think you have the pilot bushing the throwout bearing mixed up they are two different bearing or bushings.

s

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

Agh, you're quite right, I've just looked it up. My newness to all of this is no doubt very evident, haha. Is it very likely that it's worn-out or about to fail? I'd rather just stick with the clutch project for the moment.

Agh, you're quite right, I've just looked it up. My newness to all of this is no doubt very evident, haha. Is it very likely that it's worn-out or about to fail? I'd rather just stick with the clutch project for the moment.

Pilot bushing replacement is part of the clutch project. Do it once and do it right.

J.P. You've already done about 95% of the work needed to replace the pilot bushing, please finish this job the right way as Don and others have suggested.

I had never known of pilot bushings, thanks very much for putting me in the picture!  Needless to say, you're all quite right, I'll see about it tomorrow. My father might have one of the pullers needed for this, he's got a ton of strange and obscure tools like that. But if he doesn't, I'll certainly take you up on your offer, Rich!

Thanks again everyone, I've had this car for a few years now, but never had to fix anything more serious than cosmetic touch-ups and a rusty floor. I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to the big repair jobs, but I'll pick it up, I say!

the bush is oilite...do read up on it...the material is a Chrysler invention..it is designed to be impregnated with oil by soaking it prior to installation.  It is brittle metal...chips easily...one can score the internal surface front to rear (gouge if you will) then you can drive a thin hard sharp screwdriver between it and the crank it and split the bush.  Easy process but do go easy and ensure you have a good gouge in the inner wall of the bush..

I had never known of pilot bushings, thanks very much for putting me in the picture!  Needless to say, you're all quite right, I'll see about it tomorrow. My father might have one of the pullers needed for this, he's got a ton of strange and obscure tools like that. But if he doesn't, I'll certainly take you up on your offer, Rich!

Thanks again everyone, I've had this car for a few years now, but never had to fix anything more serious than cosmetic touch-ups and a rusty floor. I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to the big repair jobs, but I'll pick it up, I say!

The two tools that I have are the factory Miller tools to remove the pilot bushing and to also install the bushing and burnish it to the correct diameter.  With the use of these two tools it would take you approx. no more than 30 minutes to do the complete job of removal installation and burnishing the pilot bushing versus the trial an error and also the possibility of other damage.  If your dad does not have the correct tools contact me. make it easy on yourself with the right tools. A friend in my car club has a dodge and used these two tools and it was a very simple job.

Rich HArtung  desoto1939@aol.com

miller pilot bushing tools.pdf

Most people do not use a puller to remove the pilot bearing. The manual recommends filling the bearing recess with stiff grease then using a dowell the same diameter as the input shaft where the bearing runs and drive it into the opening forcing the bushing out. 

James>  I have the factory miller tools that were used by the mechanics that serviced allmopar cars and trucks.  There is a specific tool that screws into the pilot bushing then another rod is screws in the other tool this then when turn clockwise it will then hit the back of the flywheel pilot hole and then push the pilot busing right out of the flywheel.  They also used thye special miller tool that held the pilot bushing and then you pushed the bushing back into the hole and then when turning counterclockwise it burnished the bushing to the correct diameter.

Click on the attachment and then refer to the tool DD-286 and C-41.  These are the two tools that are used to remove and install the pilot bushing and are Factory Miller tools.  I have these two tools.  Why mess with a dowel pin and grease when the job can be done properly with the proper tools.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Success!! My father knew a fellow who had the pilot bushing tools, and the car is properly reassembled and running better than it ever has since I've had it!

As it turns out, the source of the vibrations wasn't the clutch, it was the back universal joint - it was completely disintegrated. So I rebuilt it with Burnbaum's repair kit with the help of a local machine shop (who had a press for the pin) and it drives beautifully!

Thanks again for all of your help everyone, as I've said before, this forum is indispensable in the maintenance of these cars!

Now on to detailing the engine bay...

Most people do not use a puller to remove the pilot bearing. The manual recommends filling the bearing recess with stiff grease then using a dowell the same diameter as the input shaft where the bearing runs and drive it into the opening forcing the bushing out. 

I have actually seen guys use bread. They keep forcing more bread in with a dowel or similar object until it hydraulics the bearing out.... Watch some videos on youtube...

Edited by jrhoads

Haha, I knew so little about it when I started taking everything apart and started this topic, I agree with you looking back on it. The service manual didn't really get into how to disassemble everything or tell me what any of the parts were for. Reverse-engineering the while thing was an instructional experience, no doubt. But I can say confidently now that I have a damn good understanding of how to replace and adjust the clutch on a P15. Plus, I managed not to ruin or damage anything (including myself).

• 2 months later...

I went through the same learning process when I was 12. Nothing like an old car to teach you how things are built. I've never heard of the bread system for pilot bushing removal, but it can't be any more messy or undependable than the shaft and grease method. I like the idea of using the right tool for the job, so I might have to keep my eyes open for that puller setup.