Non pressure radiator cap

BobT-47P15

The old Mopars originally had no pressure radiator systems.  

Sometimes it's hard to find a correct radiator cap.

Sometime back, I found one available at NAPA stores..............they may have to

order it in from the warehouse........but last I knew they had them.  Cost was only

3 or 4 dollars.  It was a Balkamp brand.

Here is a picture of the box with part number..............

Just thought this information might be helpful to someone.

101_8461.jpg

101_8458.jpg

In the systems in the 46 through early 49 years the cap is of no significance, since the overflow dome is above the cap and vents directly to the atmosphere.  So even if you put a 20 lb cap on the system will still not pressurize. Later models may have the vent hose on the filler but it that hose is below where the gasket of the cap seals the cap again does nothing to allow pressure to build,

this is the P15/D24 website...often the main membership still refers to these cars in their posting..

I see all years on here. Was only being helpful. Just wanted to make sure ppl know some cars do have pressure caps. You want pressure caps if the car ia suppose to have one. Sorry if I offended anyone by trying to be helpful. I will never get my in the click badge at the rate I'm going lol

Earl

• Like 3

was not slamming you on the post inasmuch as I was just making it known lot of members still post info based solely on P15-D24 with no allowances for other models is all..many answers here are given to questions asked when a person makes a general inquiry with no facts known of year and model..95% of the time the first answer will be based on the P15/D24 models

Does my '47 radiator care if there is a pressure cap? 

Isn't there an overflow that is open to the atmosphere?  

attachicon.gifhose, upper.jpg

I cannot open your photo for some unknown reason. But if your radiator has this button at the top of the upper tank this is the vent to the atmosphere.

Mvc-001f.jpg

• Like 1

Does my '47 radiator care if there is a pressure cap?

Isn't there an overflow that is open to the atmosphere?

hose, upper.jpg

Nope, that's why it didn't come from the line with one on it. Lol you could probably convert it to a pressure system but I don't know if all the components would handle pressure. I wouldn't risk it myself.

Earl

if in reading the manual there is no specification on the radiator cap.  (for the year Don is inquiring) There is never a mentioning to its service in any regard...therefore it has no effect on the cooling system except to keep slosh over in check to some degree and other foreign matter out of the system..and in case of boil over..direct the pressure and fluid loss through the vent cap and attached metal tube to a safe point below the car...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

was not slamming you on the post inasmuch as I was just making it known lot of members still post info based solely on P15-D24 with no allowances for other models is all..many answers here are given to questions asked when a person makes a general inquiry with no facts known of year and model..95% of the time the first answer will be based on the P15/D24 models

Ok good enough man. But not all of us see it as a certain year forum. I myself consider it a pre 1960 forum though I believe I've seen newer years than that posted.

If I recall I believe this was the only forum I could find to cover my 52. The AACA forums for mopars didn't blow my hair back. So I came here. For the most part I enjoy it. There are one or two ppl that are a bit hard core but you will have that anywhere.

Earl

Well..........the name of the forum is the P15-D24 forum.................with the P15 identifying Plymouths from 1946 to the

"early 1949" models.   And the D24 indicating Dodges of the same years.

However, I think some place in the moderator's description, it mentions other older Mopars as being included.

Which is great, as I think they are much the same animal in their overall makeup.  And certain parts will

interchange in those models.  So..........don't anybody go away.............         Stick around and have fun.

Sometimes some of us may sound grouchy.........but we are really not.  

(Our wives may give a different opinion........lol)

• Like 1

I resemble that remark!  

Misconscrewed is my attempt at humor.  Humor is not always sensed in the written word.  

Then again, sometimes my humor takes some getting used to.  So, if you feel putdown or insulted by something someone posted, maybe the guy is just kidding.    

• Like 1