splt windshield installtion

ruff1148kr

3 hours ago, dcotant said:

" Put passenger side in first then slipped glass into rubber." So you took the drivers side glass out of the rubber, then installed the passenger side, then slipped drivers side glass into rubber?

Trying to understand your magic.

I just installed 3 rear glass pieces this weekend and will be tacking the windshield soon, will try to video but there might be a blooper reel....

Exactly. I put passenger side in,then while standing outside of truck on passenger side i pulled glass towards right outer window post to seat it tight to window post. Then i placed left glass into center bar, stretched rubber onto glass and worked it into place.evenly across top and bottom until i reached the edge. Then worked edge in. Once you get drivers vertical rubber started, you will need to give glass a couple slaps open handed, to move glass outwards. 
not a porky slap, just a few light smacks. 
Once its in, leave it alone for the day,for rubber to settle. Body shop guy says driving it will seat it too. 

I will be using seam sealer between body and windshield rubber.a very small bead to make it watertight. After i install inside trim. 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 2:23 PM, dcotant said:

I just installed 3 rear glass pieces this weekend and will be tacking the windshield soon, will try to video but there might be a blooper reel....

I am sure you'll do better on the video than I did, I didn't post it because apparently I had my phone turned the wrong way, so when I "looped it" together it cut the image down in size and my butt was the focus LOL (plus I can't stand to here myself ramble)

Edited by Brent B3B
video's removed, didn't want my screwing around to take thread off topic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How much coffee did you drink before video two .....

Holy cowabunga!

I need to hire you Brent...I could get tons more stuff done around here?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

I could hear the Benny Hill theme music in my head as I watched that. ?

Julie could have run by at LEAST once!  LOL

• Haha 2

I was able to do mine myself after a couple of failed attempts. What worked for me was to install both pieces of glass into the rubber molding on a table making it a single assembly. Then I positioned the whole thing into the truck from the inside. The assembly tended to fall back inside the truck so I took a piece of packaging tape and strung it across from the left to the right side window pillars just to keep it from falling back into the cab. From there I was simply able to monkey the rubber molding into position little by little mostly just using my fingers and then installed the steel moldings. If you use a rope to jimmy the rubber into position, I remember reading somewhere that the plastic string used in weed whackers works quite well and doesn't create a lot of friction when pulling it around the rubber.

I think the weed whacker original post was talking about the starter rope for the whacker, not the cutting string....

I put my windshield in this weekend, did not take a video cause I doubt i could do better than Brent on video OR instalation.

Went in pretty easily as a complete unit (both sides) using clothes line. Only thing i would add is that a plastic spudger was probably the most essential tool on the job. I did have a helper on the inside though...

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 6:31 AM, dcotant said:

I put my windshield in this weekend, did not take a video cause I doubt i could do better than Brent on video OR installation.

oh man, I am bummed. I was hoping you would have done the video..... I was just messin around.

sorry about that.