splt windshield installtion

ruff1148kr

Well have not found a glass guy to install split windshield glass or curved windows yet. The one guy wanted 125.00 per piece of glass. (that adds up)  I Found some great tips on this site about back glass and curved glass and I'm almost ready to give it a try.  But when it come to the windshield not to sure how to proceed. Is it like the back and the rubber goes on first  or is each side put in one at a time?  anyone have the steps for the front glass. 

Actually the winshield is pretty easy but you will need a couple of helpers. You put the rubber on both pieces of glass with a string around the perimeter. It goes into place from the inside. Helpers hold it in place while you do the string from the outside. Needs to be well lubed with soapy water. The actual install only takes 10 to 15 minutes if you don't count the time it takes to put the trim pieces back in place. 

Jeff

• Like 1

ruff1148rk, i did mine by myself last Friday. although it would have been easier with a helper...... just like Jeff said rubber first.......

the hard part was getting the center metal trim pieces to line up and screw together by myself  :)   

It's patience technique, muscle and even pressure from helpers. A Clothesline rope, a spray bottle with a soapy solution and whatever other slippery stuff will help. I can't remember if the curved back windows are better installed from the inside or outside of the cab. Anyone have an opinion on this ?

Good luck, you'll get it,

Hank  :mellow: (is that the "nervous" icon ?)

P.S. $125 per piece is way over the top in my opinion. $125 iwill pay for at least 2 pieces of any of the flat glass to be duplicated maybe 4 pairs of wing windows ? I could see both curved windows for $125.

When they installed my truck's curved corner windows, the pressure was from the inside and it was roped from the outside.  Put the rubber on your glass several days in advance to let it stretch and settle in.  The corners were much more difficult than the windshield.  They installed mine "dry."

The guy that installed mine cut all new glass (except the corners), and had a 50 mile round-trip.  $326 total. I asked a local Model T restorer who he used and that is how I found a reasonable price.  Might ask you local school who replaces the windshields in their buses - most of them use rubber gaskets.

• Like 1

.... I can't remember if the curved back windows are better installed from the inside or outside of the cab. Anyone have an opinion on this ?

The rear windows go in from the inside. I paid $50 per window to have a window fitter install mine - $125 per window does sound a bit pricey!

I don't think I could actually call it "my truck" unless I put all the glass in myself. If fact there are a few items on these trucks that really should be done by yourself in order to qualify for true ownership. Installing those corner windows and replacing the steel WDT are two top jobs that come to mind. If you are not willing to do these yourself.........then I say :P 

. .

• Like 1

I don't think I could actually call it "my truck" unless I put all the glass in myself. If fact there are a few items on these trucks that really should be done by yourself in order to qualify for true ownership. Installing those corner windows and replacing the steel WDT are two top jobs that come to mind. If you are not willing to do these yourself.........then I say :P

. .

i think ownership for over 30 years and the zero balance in my checking account would qualify me for "true ownership" ..... 

i'll take your word on the WDT :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the great info   glad to know that I was not the only one who thought 125.00 per piece  was high that made just the windshield 250  Well My hat is off to anyone who did the windshield alone without any help  your a better man than me LOL  I would have all the new paint scratched to hell.  So to be clear looks like all our glass goes on from inside....   yesterday put the butterfly hood together and on  another job that I could have had a extra set of hands for   fresh paint and no room in a tent  not fun   had a tool drop and gave my paint  another beauty mark   thought I'd save the hood ornament for later  now I see I can't get to the front ornament bolt  easily,  too much fun   well never said I was smart.    As far as calling it my truck   well I build my truck  changed everything  I did not just replace the parts that Dodge put on it I think  that qualifies

• Like 1

This would be a great topic for a Youtube video!  Maybe the next time one of the more "experienced" members is doing a replacement they could have someone film the steps.  I know I am not at that stage yet, but I plan on replacing mine myself and this would be very helpful to see for all of us do-it-yourselfers!

Edited by ebruns1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes it does......I was just teasing a few our friends here. And I pretty much never pay someone else to do anything I think I can do myself. For the most part this is a budget stretcher. Other than the paint and some welding I did everything myself. Those are things that I could have attempted.....but I know folks who have it mastered.

The corner windows are the toughest job as far as the glass goes. And it really helps if you have a reliable helper. They go in from the inside and you need to start at the edge closest to the door pillar and lever them into place. Because of the shape the gasket will move around as you attempt to put this glass into the opening. It really helps to use a fair amount of masking tape to hold it in place. Once you get it in you can get all the masking tape off so it is no big deal. I tried doing it without the tape and tore the gasket on my first attempt. And soapy water in your friend on these. With one guy on the inside pushing and another on the outside to work the gasket into place with the string and his fingers these are still a chore. Turning the last two corners of the glass and gasket is a wonderful feeling......but the air may get real blue until that happens! ;)

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Balazs
  • Like 1

Thanks  for the directions and tips  I had saw that video also, but ours are flip flopped on how they go in and the large inside gasket looks like it will get in the way of the person inside view.  never did find a single video online with split windshield being put in from the inside  strange thought I'd find one.. I film mine when I do it but they would have me banned from youtube LOL   language  and all

After I tore a corner window gasket I had to call Steele to get them to send me another. While I had them on the phone I asked if tech support knew anything helpful. Surely I was told ......they are the best in the business. Ya right. All the tech guy could say is" those are a real bugger" And nothing more.

That told me all I need to know about that company.

Jeff

ggdad1951,

Thanks for the link, but I was looking for a Dodge split front windshield specific video.  I'm a long way off from doing mine and I'm no expert...but I will video the install if no one else does one before me.  It sounds like there are many forum users out there that would benefit from a step-by-step video. 

So...anyone out there doing an install soon?  Please tape it for us...

JT

• Like 1

ggdad1951,

Thanks for the link, but I was looking for a Dodge split front windshield specific video.  I'm a long way off from doing mine and I'm no expert...but I will video the install if no one else does one before me.  It sounds like there are many forum users out there that would benefit from a step-by-step video. 

So...anyone out there doing an install soon?  Please tape it for us...

JT

not a problem, I was just trying to get SOMETHING on here for people to get a visual.

If you're in a rural area and have an ag or heavy equipment dealer nearby find out who they use for their glass work.  You might get someone that would stop by after hours and do it for you.   I did that with a local glass man.  I had to twist his arm to take $50.00 for the windshields that he cut and installed for me.  Once he and his helper got here with the glass, they were gone in less than half an hour.   I used the gasket that I got from Roberts and had it out in the sun like they asked before they got here.   If I have to do it again, I'd consider STeele's gasket due to its wider coverage of the pinch weld.  This was awhile ago (like 10 yrs-maybe more) but these guys are out there and can use there experience to do it quickly and correctly.   I tried doing the single piece flat windshield in the 49 Ford that I used to have, and cracked it during the install.  Based on that experience I decided to have someone that knew what they were doing perform the installation especially since the Dodge was a 2 piece.  Just my 2 cents.   Mike

Edited by MBFowler
  • Like 1

i did this for 24 years one thing in the video i didnt like was they removed from the bottom first the bottom corners on that back glass are much sharper angle than the top means more stress on the glass if started there i would have started at the top with the more rounded corners means less likely to stress the glass. also easyer to hang on to the back glass if working by yourself. one thing no one has talked about was in what order or which part of the rubber goes on first and why will this matter ill tell you why it matters. when putting the rubber on the glass start by putting the rubber on all the corners first than put the rest on that way the pressure or stretch of the rubber is the same all the way around the rubber will last longer and less pressure on the joined end. i made my windshields with shaded laminated glass and mounted them by myself it was a handfol dealing with two peaces of glass wanting to flap around hi quality suction cups made by milwakee made life much easyer but for the first timer i would recormend a helper like every thing quality of rubber right size cutting of the glass temp of the rubber proper lighting all these things can make life much easyer

• Like 3

What gramps 1951 says is so true. Having a good plan is essential. That rear window is much easier when started in the correct direction....ask me how I know... :mellow:  And a good helper or two makes all this go a lot easier. When I put the windshields in I got two friends to hold them up in place from the inside and it only took a few minutes to complete the installlation. I found it was also very helpful to use plenty of masking tape to hold the gaskets from moving about during the install process.

If you do this yourself you can save yourself some money. And it is money that can be put to better use on something else. Also you will have the required skill and knowledge if any of it ever needs replacement somewhere down the line.

Jeff

Well all the back glass is in.  2 corners and center glass.  All I can say is I hope it never breaks and I have to replace it.  Had trouble with one of the corners came real close to ripping a corner of the rubber   (premature sting pull) LOL  got left under and had to work like heck to get it out.  Will tackle the windshield next   so far  saved  a little money  and not too much damage

to install the back glass on a pilothouse i start on the bottom and in the center another thing is getting the right thickness  of the rope one too thin is more apt to rip the rubber and one to thicktakes up too much room in the rubber the rope about the size of old clothes line seems to fit best for most rubbers also the angle that you pull the rope makes a differants like everything technique and practise makes alot and knowing when you will rip the rubber or stress crack the glass before it happens  but in reality we are over thinking a very simple job.   neil

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

For whatever reason i couldnt get glass in with both pieces in the rubber. Put passenger side in first then slipped glass into rubber. I used a hook to carefully work rubber over pinch weld. Less than an hour. Need helper. Oh,and a body squeegee and lots of glass cleaner

and of course i scraped the fresh paint on my dash. 

50EE2C08-6918-4C7D-8939-DE7B93D840B2.jpeg

• Like 1

" Put passenger side in first then slipped glass into rubber." So you took the drivers side glass out of the rubber, then installed the passenger side, then slipped drivers side glass into rubber?

Trying to understand your magic.

I just installed 3 rear glass pieces this weekend and will be tacking the windshield soon, will try to video but there might be a blooper reel....